Wireless Interface To Gaming Rig Pc?

Tilly Devine

Still Fresh
Hello, long time reader first time poster.

I was wondering having my windows desktop beamed to the pandora as well. I see my windows on the pandora screen and can manipulate/control the PC with the controls. A virtual wifi window? (I hope my make sense)

Anyhow, can I use the Pandora to see and control my gaming PC via wifi? Is this kinda thing posible and if so, what would be the lag? Mouse control options etc...

Thank you!

This is not an answer (sorry)

The gp32 could be connected via usb and used as a mouse if I remember correctly. I should break mine out and try it sometime soon. Maybe it was just to use it as a controller.

Which makes me want to use a gp32 as a pandora controller.

*click click click*

(this is not exactly an answer either, i'm just making my post count higher)

it should be able to be used as a controller. about the screen... i don't know. you'll have to ask someone with more information than me. if i remember correctly, when i used my xbox 360 controller with my pc, i was able to use the right/left/don't remember analog stick as the mouse. if you're just going to use it as a controller, it'd be better just to use a generic usb controller.

'Xian Long' said:

it should be able to be used as a controller. about the screen... i don't know. you'll have to ask someone with more information than me. if i remember correctly, when i used my xbox 360 controller with my pc, i was able to use the right/left/don't remember analog stick as the mouse. if you're just going to use it as a controller, it'd be better just to use a generic usb controller.
I was actually meaning having my windows desktop beamed to the pandora as well. I see my windows on the pandora screen and can manipulate/control the PC with the controls. A virtual wifi window? (I hope my make sense)

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tilly Devine' said:
'Xian Long' said:

I was actually meaning having my windows desktop beamed to the pandora as well. I see my windows on the pandora screen and can manipulate/control the PC with the controls. A virtual wifi window? (I hope my make sense)

If someone decides to make a port, any VNC client should do exactly what you're trying to do. Look into VNC

I'm sure the angstrom arm repo already has a VNC client, but it will be too slow for games. Streammygame has the right idea though, it captures video from your PC, encodes to mpeg-4 (which will look fine at 800x480), and decodes it on the device. It's a viable method if you are on a fast network.

But for some things, maybe just widgets or simple controls, it can be done easily.

'Tilly Devine' said:
Hello, long time reader first time poster.

I was wondering having my windows desktop beamed to the pandora as well. I see my windows on the pandora screen and can manipulate/control the PC with the controls. A virtual wifi window? (I hope my make sense)

Anyhow, can I use the Pandora to see and control my gaming PC via wifi? Is this kinda thing posible and if so, what would be the lag? Mouse control options etc...

Thank you!
I'm sorry, I think I just read what I wanted to read atleast I said it wasn't an answer

I'd like to use mine as a bluetooth keyboard/mouse/gaming comtroler for my htpc

i would say that defeats the purpose of having the pandora, but i already know the response, gruso is going to say "however the hell you want to use it is its purpose".

yeah look into VNC. don't expect any games to be playable over it though.

Xian Long said:
i would say that defeats the purpose of having the pandora, but i already know the response, gruso is going to say "however the hell you want to use it is its purpose".
Ha, I almost chimed into Raz's remote control thread before to have a dig at him for wanting to use a Logitech pad for his Pandora gaming, then use Pandora's built in controls to control other devices. :D Then I thought nah, whatever people want is cool. Am I that predictable? Don't answer that.

'rdesktop' should do it afaikt. Remote desktop for Windows. There's a version for Maemo (the Nokia tablets), so getting one running on the Pandora shouldn't be a problem either then.

We've been over it before but ..

It is technologicall feasible in all the right conditions, but generally its not workable these days. ie: VNC or Remote Desktop can't really be used for playing a game across ethernet today, imho. (Not a 100% truth, depends on the sorts of screen updates its doing, but if we're talking an action game with 30fps say, not going to happen with RDC or VNC.)

The example that comes to my mind (flawed or not?) is -- can you just watch youtube highdef videos (which are not as busy as a full screen PC game by any amount) withot queueing it up at all or having pauses? Usually not, and its only a fractoin of the data a realtime game would usually be.

Technology is getting there, bu 'in general' its not likely for most people (ie: wifi, on G, with some interuption, across home network with a busy game, or doubly so if you want to uplink on a slow-uplink DSL to your panda, etc.)

Certainly you could use the panda to opeate GUI apps or various sundry things no problem.. just gaming is the hard one.

jeff

Youtube is slow, coming from far across the series of tubes.

A home network, on the other hand, could easily handle several hi-def youtube videos streaming at once.

Someone on an N800 forum got VLC doing some sort of streaming at 20fps or so (Only because the N800 sucks at decoding, it could have been faster), with just under a second of delay. Not good for action games, but I could see myself playing an RPG or something on it. :D

Realistically, though, streammygame will be the best option, if they follow through and port it.

Like Tor says, if you want to control a Windows PC from your Pandora, then use a Remote Desktop client, it is far better than any other remote access application I've used. For example, VNC pales in comparison.

Do note however that Remote Desktop Server isn't compatible with Linux, so you have to use VNC there.

I kinda want a wireless connection to my PC.

I would settle for a handheld screen connected with a wireless HD link.

(anybody know what it would take to run a 720p ATSC mini-broadcast station? ;) )

As far as wireless video links go, there are multiple wireless HDMI/DVI setups for the home theater market, and you can just use a wireless controller ( Xbox 360 comes to mind as the most quality for the money, although there are dozens for any interface you want, PS2, GC, etc. Even a WiiMote could work, or a wireless KB/Mouse, if it isn't on the same frequency. )

www.google.com/search?q=wireless+HD

Of course there are also wireless tablets that use a remote desktop feature to connect as a screen, I forget the name of them right now. (Viewsonic??)

Personally I would also want to know what needs to be accomplished on the PC that wouldn't run on the Pandora natively ( Other than Crysis obviously. )

The Pandora can play media and surf the net, and uses a full OS as it is. So there shouldn't be a need for anything other than VNC if you just wanted to be able to control the PC to start a task or do some file management.

Squidge, see xrdp, its in most distro's repositories, its a standard RDP server.

Also, should you want to control a Linux box from the Pandora, you might want to look into Compiz Nomad, which uses the RDP protocol, and would appear quite a bit faster than VNC.

'sullrosh' said:
I'd like to use mine as a bluetooth keyboard/mouse/gaming comtroler for my htpc
If/when I end up getting a Pandora, I'll end up writing an XBMC remote for it. It should work for Boxee as well.

If you're using Windows XP MCE, or any other crappy HTPC software, I don't care about you. :p

Back