Wireless Interface To Gaming Rig Pc?

Squidge said:
Do note however that Remote Desktop Server isn't compatible with Linux, so you have to use VNC there.
For Linux or BSD, if you don't need an entire desktop forwarded (just, say, individual windows), it is a great option to use ssh with X forwarding (or just X forwarding the old fashioned way). I just ran neverball and extreme tuxracer (simultaneously) over ethernet (100mbps, not wireless, mind) to this machine, and they ran quite well. There's the tiniest bit of awkward on etracer's demo display, but that could very well be because it's competing for 3D resources on the host machine. Running either alone is no less noticeably smooth than running them on their own machine.

I'm pretty optimistic. It helps that I play a good deal of turn-based games, though, which would work fantastically across even a far lower bandwidth connection. :D

(the only rub here is that I may have to install X and a random low resource wm to get this to work; anybody know for sure whether or not gmenu, or whatever it is that the default gui is, is on top of X?)

Last edited by a moderator:
ssh works quite fine for forwarding X applications on a low-latency (local, or at least near) network. The big difference comes when the latency increases, e.g. several hundred milliseconds. Then VNC is vastly better than an ssh-forwarded connection.

So it seems it is possible to stream via wifi my desktop PC to my pandora. Could someone explain if it's possible to also control the pc (and type, play games etc) from the pandora? Just seems cool to play advanced games from the PC beamed to my pandora! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the latency and bandwidth of most network connections, you won't be able to play much more than Solitaire over a remote connection.

Yes, if you use something like a VNC client, you will have a keyboard / mouse stream to the desktop and a video stream back to the Pandora.

However, there is a lot of latency and it would be impossible to play anything like a shooter game even if there was enough bandwidth to get all the video back to you.

You wouldn't be able to react fast enough.
It's not practical at all for games. You could use it for administration, though, like remote shutdown. But stuff like actual video takes ridiculous amounts of bandwidth, it just doesn't work over a VNC connection.

Back