Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that some schools now actually teach evolution. I find that frightening. Its ok if they teach it as a theory but i heard they are teaching it as fact!

So if we evolved from apes, what did apes evolve from. I'm not arguing, I'm interested...

CABBAGES posted on Feb 9 2007 at 01:00 PM said:
I heard that some schools now actually teach evolution. I find that frightening. Its ok if they teach it as a theory but i heard they are teaching it as fact!

You're misinterpreting the meaning of the word 'theory'. In the context of scientific debate, theory doesn't mean 'educated guess' or 'perspective'. It's the endpoint of the scientific method. For example, we have the theory of gravity.

Evolution is a phenomena supported by evidence. It occurs, and has occured for as long as there's been life on the planet. It's taught in schools because it's the only explanation supported by scientific evidence. It's unfortunate that some religions preach falsehoods, but that's their problem.

Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to play Devil's Advocate here, if we evolved from apes then why are there just apes and us and nothing inbetween still roaming around? I'm not disputing anything just curious about people's own opinions on why there aren't any intermediates walking around among us. (no googled responses please)

subcon959 posted on Feb 9 2007 at 02:35 PM said:
Just to play Devil's Advocate here, if we evolved from apes then why are there just apes and us and nothing inbetween still roaming around? I'm not disputing anything just curious about people's own opinions on why there aren't any intermediates walking around among us. (no googled responses please)

This is a pretty common question. It just shows that we're not providing enough education on the subject.

We didn't evolve from apes. All simians (monkey-like) creatures, including us, evolved from protosimian (pre-monkey-like) ancestors. Here's a good place to look if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 9 2007 at 10:32 AM said:
I believe we evolved from Apes. Because it makes sense and is proven ;)

Really? Could you please give me a link or tell me how it is proven? (not trying to be rude)

it is not proven. i am not religious i dont follow any religion and actually think we would be better off without religion. But evolution is harder to believe than there being a god or a god liek thingy mibbober. Show me evidence of evolution. Gravity is different coz that can be proven and is being proven right now as i am not floating about in my room.

saehn posted on Feb 9 2007 at 07:42 PM said:
subcon959 posted on Feb 9 2007 at 02:35 PM said:

This is a pretty common question. It just shows that we're not providing enough education on the subject.

We didn't evolve from apes. All simians (monkey-like) creatures, including us, evolved from protosimian (pre-monkey-like) ancestors. Here's a good place to look if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution
That was a pretty interesting read. Is Homo the only genus with a single remaining species or is this fairly common throughout the animal kingdom?

About that link heres what it says at the top of it :-

This article does not cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations. (help, get involved!)
This article has been tagged since December 2006.

And also :-

This article or section is missing citations and/or footnotes.
This article or section may use words or ideas of other works in its text without citing sources. Using citations to support claims outside the realm of elementary knowledge helps guard against copyright violations and factual inaccuracies. Please improve the article or discuss this issue on the talk page. Help on using footnotes is available. This article has been tagged since December 2006.

Regardless, there have been many books written on evolution. Man animals on the planet today can be backtracked through the ages.

Evolution works and makes sense, because your ancestors managed to survive through their trials in life.

simple example you have a family of fish... these fish give birth to a freak fish that for whatever reason has lungs in addition to gills It doesn't need the lungs because it lives in the water ;) So this fish continues to procreate and makes more fish that have lungs, these fish give birth to further freaks that have weird stumps.

As this process continues it seems the water is becoming a bit nasty to live in, fish are starting to die. Some fish jump out and die, because they have no lungs. Some of our freaks of nature jump ut of the water onto land, cough out the water, pass out from the shock and then wake up again only to realise that their freakish lungs and their freakish stumps server them well and they can survive on land. A new species is born.

EDIT: This is obviously just a simplified example and is based on what I remember from biology lessons and the books I've read, i.e my own oppinions based on what I know.

Nova posted on Feb 9 2007 at 06:08 PM said:
So if we evolved from apes, what did apes evolve from. I'm not arguing, I'm interested...
As I said, single celled lifeforms that evolved to reproduce sexually, by the sharing of genetic information

@CABBAGES:

Evolution can be proven through computer modelled simulations. Furthermore mapping of the Gnome of many animals, including that of the homo sapien, has allowed us to study genetic expression. Many products are now produced by genetic modification, or "forced evolution". Performed by us on these life forms. Does that make us God? Pretty much, also God's not all that, they say he created the world, but not the rest of the univserse. Also every and all religions, except some aspects of buddhism, are all pure lies and crap. Think logically, and you will see that.

If you had any sort of education you would understand the process of evolution and genetic expression perfectly. Hence, evolution is a LOT more believeable than any religion.

sam fisher posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:08 PM said:
As I said, single celled lifeforms that evolved to reproduce sexually, by the sharing of genetic information

@CABBAGES:

Evolution can be proven through computer modelled simulations. Furthermore mapping of the Gnome of many animals, including that of the homo sapien, has allowed us to study genetic expression. Many products are now produced by genetic modification, or "forced evolution". Performed by us on these life forms. Does that make us God? Pretty much, also God's not all that, they say he created the world, but not the rest of the univserse. Also every and all religions, except some aspects of buddhism, are all pure lies and crap. Think logically, and you will see that.

If you had any sort of education you would understand the process of evolution and genetic expression perfectly. Hence, evolution is a LOT more believeable than any religion.
Absolutely. We technically evolved from apes, but apes evolved from something far more simple. It all began with the smallest form of bacteria.

If anyone's interested, I would suggest something I watched a few years back on the discovery channel, called "Walking with Cavemen". It was created from the British documentary actually, so you guys in the UK should be able to find it fairly easy.

It has stuck with me for the past 4 years because I was so fascinated by it. It's quite incredible to watch as they attempt to recreate our evolution using computers and revolutionary make-up/costumes. It's unbelievable. I actually ordered it from blockbuster online (the brit version).

Seriously, Go Get It!!!!

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 9 2007 at 09:43 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:08 PM said:

@CABBAGES:

Absolutely. We technically evolved from apes, but apes evolved from something far more simple. It all began with the smallest form of bacteria.

If anyone's interested, I would suggest something I watched a few years back on the discovery channel, called "Walking with Cavemen". It was created from the British documentary actually, so you guys in the UK should be able to find it fairly easy.

It has stuck with me for the past 4 years because I was so fascinated by it. It's quite incredible to watch as they attempt to recreate our evolution using computers and revolutionary make-up/costumes. It's unbelievable. I actually ordered it from blockbuster online (the brit version).

Seriously, Go Get It!!!!
Nasa modelled the creation of sexual life forms using computers :D lol

Evolution is the biggest load of bullshit ever. What did the bulls evolve from ?.

PokeParadox: Now i know what you are saying but how on earth could that possibly happen ? yes freakish type animals and even humans can be born but usually with extra limbs or stuff like that not an organ that has nothing to do with that type of animal. I know you simplified so dont worry :p

Sam i am not saying that there is a god but i am saying there is no proof of evolution. How can a computer modelled simulation prove it ? Oh and by the way if you do believe in god then he did make the earth and the whole universe.

Now lets think logically. Forget about evolution. You go to a desert and find a house and i tell you it just appeared. What do you say ?

CABBAGES posted on Feb 9 2007 at 09:58 PM said:
Evolution is the biggest load of bullshit ever. What did the bulls evolve from ?.

PokeParadox: Now i know what you are saying but how on earth could that possibly happen ? yes freakish type animals and even humans can be born but usually with extra limbs or stuff like that not an organ that has nothing to do with that type of animal. I know you simplified so dont worry :p

Sam i am not saying that there is a god but i am saying there is no proof of evolution. How can a computer modelled simulation prove it ? Oh and by the way if you do believe in god then he did make the earth and the whole universe.

Now lets think logically. Forget about evolution. You go to a desert and find a house and i tell you it just appeared. What do you say ?
There is no house that juts appeared. Also YOU FUCKING THICK SHIT. I have explained how evolution happens already. Mutations occur during cell division where the genetic information is in a vunerable state, affected by radiation and such. Cochroach cells reproduce slowly, hence they handle radiation better in terms of genetic damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_information

Go, read, fool. Then look up mRNA, and maybe have a look at what tRNA is used for.

Cabbages you need to think on a molecular, or even atomic, level here to understand how life works.

CABBAGES posted on Feb 9 2007 at 10:43 AM said:
hallelujah praise the lord !

AMEN

EDIT: And in answer to your question sam fisher "Are you one of those people who says that evidence of dinosaurs is a test from god?"

No i am not and i never said anythin about dinosaurs i said we as in humans. But anyway lets not get into a debate about evolution and god because its pointless if you belive that one of your ancesters came from a monkey then fine by me. Oh and i am not religious :D
I feel like everything you've said in this topic is sarcastic. Since it's the internet, I can't tell, but it just seems too absurd. Especially the "Oh and I am not relgious" after the hallelujah praise the lord!

Cabbages, things dont just materialize. everything starts off something else. Like a tree: would you say it appeared out of nowhere? no, it started from a seed. That seed was from another tree, and so forth. If you trace back to the first tree ever, you would say it fell out of the sky? It began from something much more simple. Everything evolves.

The only group of people who believe in things randomly happening are the religious nuts who are mostly christians and catholics. Virgin mary didnt randomly get impregnated. we didnt fall out of the sky. the earth didnt just appear. It's illogical to believe such rubbish.

Well ok since you called me a FUCKING THICK SHIT I believe now. how is this proof ? "Mutations occur during cell division where the genetic information is in a vunerable state, affected by radiation and such. Cochroach cells reproduce slowly, hence they handle radiation better in terms of genetic damage."

If you think logically you need to believe that there has been something around forever. Even evolution gos all teh way back to that . Im not saying GOD im just saying something has been around forever. You talk about energy earlier.

THis has been around forever you cannot create energy or destroy it you can only change its form. This could be the god or thing i believe in that created everything.

daclassicgamingmaster: What i was meanig about teh house in the desert was somethin had to make it. Same as peoepl who believe in evolution need to believe that there was something in teh begining that came form nowhere it has always been there. Be it energy or particles of dust or a Potatoe it must have been there forever to make the things that started to evolve.

Yes it sounds daft but its the only explanation to both god and evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back