Wtb: Old Flu Shell

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
You may or may not have read this It was a story of a guy, who spent a lot of love and care trying to pretty up his gp32. The ending was a happy one, with the contented owner heading off to les deux alpes, gp32 in hand....

This is the epilogue.

As he sits bored on the plane, our character decides he will attempt to beat his high score on lacuna, a great game, made by the great woogal. After a good hour and a half, Nova removes his sweaty hands, to find that they are now blue. Looking back at his gp32, he is heartbroken by a sight of unimaginable horror.

Now, to you humble viewers, this may not look much, but to ol' Nova here, this is a week's work of dissembly, painting, more painting, waiting to dry, even more painting, more waiting to dry and assembly including resoldering etc down the shitter, plus the fact now that he cannot play on his valued console without looking like one of these guys:

...Anyway, back to first person here. Is there anyone with a dead, unused, etc Front light unit, who is willing to sell me their shell. There probably isn't, but it's worth a try.

Thank you in advance,

Your pal,

Nova.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you re-paint it and wait one month for it to dry properly?

- Alex

Ever tried to varnish the sucker? Give him a good coat of spray-on varnish (flat or shiny, your preference) and he should be good to go. True, you'll have to disassemble the unit again, but at least you don't have to embark on a quest for the holy flu shell ;) If you are happy with th ecurrent look and don't want to disassemble, use a brush.on varnish and you won't even need to disassemble it...

Or you could give your GP a light sand down all over with very fine sandpaper, 1) to remove the old paint, 2) To give the paint something to key to, So the paint shouldn`t come off.

Trooper

Alex. posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:06 PM said:

- Alex

A month!? It says 3 hours on the can

Mosch posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
Ever tried to varnish the sucker? Give him a good coat of spray-on varnish (flat or shiny, your preference) and he should be good to go. True, you'll have to disassemble the unit again, but at least you don't have to embark on a quest for the holy flu shell ;) If you are happy with th ecurrent look and don't want to disassemble, use a brush.on varnish and you won't even need to disassemble it...

will that make the console all shiny?

trooper posted on Feb 18 2006 at 01:57 AM said:
Or you could give your GP a light sand down all over with very fine sandpaper, 1) to remove the old paint, 2) To give the paint something to key to, So the paint shouldn`t come off.

Trooper

That won't ruin the feel of the console, right?

Nova posted on Feb 18 2006 at 10:45 AM said:
Mosch posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:21 PM said:

will that make the console all shiny?

There are several clear varnishes available. Gloss varnish will make the unit all shiny, satin varnish will give it a slight sheen, matte varnish will reduce sheen to a minimum and flat varnish (not often found; if you want such an effect, try Testor's Dullcote) will eliminate nearly all visible reflections. Mix varnish very well though to avoid clumping of the matting agent.

Nova posted on Feb 18 2006 at 06:45 AM said:
Alex. posted on Feb 17 2006 at 10:06 PM said:

- Alex

A month!? It says 3 hours on the can
And look what happened :p It obvisouly wasn't properly dried, and sweaty hands hard-pressed on it hardly helped. Still, this looks like a lot of hassle, and if I were you I'd just get a new case and end this story. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune :(

- Alex

PS: What kind of spraypaint did you use?

everybody here is mentioning the drying time. Come on, couldnt it have been the fact that he used the wrong paint? I have 2 painted units and played for nearly an hour immediatly after i thought they were dry enough (maybe 1.5 hours since the final coat was sprayed on!). Im sorry to here of this Nova, but.....I told you so. It just isnt worth it to make the flu pretty. All the soldering eventually gets to your head and you start to get pissed off. I can only imagine how you feel now :(

http://www.lik-sang.com/search.php?query=flu&Button=Search

Lik sang has the front flu shell if that's any help. Other than that, I wish you the best of luck in finding the parts needed and putting this whole mess behind you.

-dcgm

edit: lik sang's out of them. sorry man :(

I used plastikote spray paint, which is the same paint that (i think it was) lek used to paint his one black & silver.

Does anyone think it may be worth emailing craig and asking if he has any old returned broken flu's lying about the gbax office?

Told you not to bother. Bad luck, though. Ask around on the marketplace. Someone probably has spare casing and buttons. That's how I rebuilt my GP32.

Good ol' squidge sent me his blu shell, and it is now waiting for me at the royal mail centre. However, i now have the problem of making a hole in the back for the switch, and one in the front for the light to go through.

Any ideas how i could do this?

Nova posted on Feb 22 2006 at 03:37 PM said:
Good ol' squidge sent me his blu shell, and it is now waiting for me at the royal mail centre. However, i now have the problem of making a hole in the back for the switch, and one in the front for the light to go through.

Try heating an x-acto blade red hot, then carve out the hole.

TelcoLou posted on Feb 24 2006 at 04:55 AM said:

Pardon me for asking, but what is an x-acto blade, is it like the USA stanley knife?

Nova posted on Feb 24 2006 at 05:10 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Feb 24 2006 at 04:55 AM said:

Pardon me for asking, but what is an x-acto blade, is it like the USA stanley knife?
I used one to cut foam board out for a project I had in school:

http://image.misterart.com/grouppix/528x352/1000/g1613.jpg

just google 'x acto'. It's a good idea btw.

Well i did it, but somehow got glue on the lightguide, so i now have a NLU. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back