Xgpmini

Series-8

The XGPMini (what little is known):

2.2" TFT Screen
Dpad + 4 face buttons
Small GB Micro like form factor.

http://lunamoth.biz/index.php?pl=1668
http://www.gpzigi.com/zboard/view.php?id=news&no=269

Unfortunatley all information sources are in Korean.

Does anyone know where to get more info? perhaps some better screenshots?

The only thing I would like to know is this: is it based on the MMSP2 chip?
(Is that even possible with that tiny formfactor?)

Wow that is tiny. the screen is like 1.25" smaller than the GP2X. I think I will save my eyesight and stick with the GP2X.

In one of the screenies, it looks like the XGPmini is running the old official GP32 mp3-player :huh:

Backwards compability?

Looks nice, anyway.

Using some dodgy translations and my even dodgier Javacat Sense's I have come up with the following rough translation to the first link.

Javacat Sense said:
The XGP will succeed both the GP32 and the GP2X. The XGP will have many distinguished features (many of which need to be confirmed). The infrequent news updates from GP is making me very anxious.

We have finally had a news update from GP regarding the XGPmini. The XGPmini will be a smaller version of the XGP, with many similar features to the XGP shown at E3 in May. It will be compatible with the GP32 and include a 2.2 inch TFT-LCD, which means playing games on it will be a possibility. Details on features previously mentioned were not made available. The biggest attraction of the XGP was the support for DMB (Digital Multimedia Broadcast), whether this feature is going to be available or not is unknown.

[ Development company interview ] The release date is scheduled for April. Sage Labrie have recently got two games running on the XGPmini which are, Tenchi o Kurau 2 (Japan) (wofj) and Warriors of Fate (World) (wof) using the GP2X MAME 1.5.

I've missed some bits outs as I don't think "sliced raw fish" and "army bedspread" are entirely relevant to the XGP.

Edit: After reading a few translations of the replies to that blog entry it appears as though the thing shown in the photo is a stripped down, cheaper version of the XGP, called the XGPmini. They seem to be comparing it to the NDS Lite. So perhaps there is going to be 2 consoles released by GP <_< .

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be compatible with the GP32 and include a 2.2 inch TFT-LCD, which means playing games on it will be a possibility.

Sage Labrie have recently got two games running on the XGPmini which are, Tenchi o Kurau 2 (Japan) (wofj) and Warriors of Fate (World) (wof) using the GP2X MAME 1.5.

So it will be compatible with the GP32 and also run GP2X homebrew? Holy Shnikies! You can count me in!

I highly doubt that LordFlux. Not just because the screen is smaller, so true backward-compability is impossible, but also because the XGP won't run linux without people making a linux distribution for it.

Also the Official Music player is hardly a reason to suspect backwards compatibility, I would have thought GP might just have that source code?

It would be cool if it was true, but I probably messed up with my decoding of the translation. Just because it has a smaller screen, doesn't mean that it has a lower resolution, so some sort of backwards compatibility could it be possible.

Sage Labrie appear to be some sort of software development team, and from the translation it looks as though they have got a couple of games working.

(Sage Labrie님은 참고 하시길...), 그나저나 이제 천지를 먹다2 - Tenchi o Kurau 2 (Japan) (wofj), Warriors of Fate (World) (wof) - 를 GP2X 에서 할 수 있게 됐습니다! :D (MAME GP2X 1.5)
(The Sage Labrie to refer, route...) That it limps but recently 2 - Tenchi o Kurau it eats heaven and earth 2 (Japan) (wofj), Warriors of Fate (World) (wof) - there was a possibility of doing from the GP2X and,! : D (MAME GP2X 1.5)
The last part of the quote could be saying "and there is a possibility of porting from the GP2X.".

Gah.. Everytime I read through the translation I change my mind on what it is saying.

GP32와의 호환성은 없음
Translates to
With GP32 compatibility nil
Having nil could mean they are saying there will be no gp32 compatibility, but why would they mention that as a feature?

Javacat posted on Mar 1 2006 at 05:00 PM said:
It would be cool if it was true, but I probably messed up with my decoding of the translation. Just because it has a smaller screen, doesn't mean that it has a lower resolution, so some sort of backwards compatibility could it be possible.

Sage Labrie appear to be some sort of software development team, and from the translation it looks as though they have got a couple of games working.

(Sage Labrie님은 참고 하시길...), 그나저나 이제 천지를 먹다2 - Tenchi o Kurau 2 (Japan) (wofj), Warriors of Fate (World) (wof) - 를 GP2X 에서 할 수 있게 됐습니다! :D (MAME GP2X 1.5)
(The Sage Labrie to refer, route...) That it limps but recently 2 - Tenchi o Kurau it eats heaven and earth 2 (Japan) (wofj), Warriors of Fate (World) (wof) - there was a possibility of doing from the GP2X and,! : D (MAME GP2X 1.5)
The last part of the quote could be saying "and there is a possibility of porting from the GP2X.".

Gah.. Everytime I read through the translation I change my mind on what it is saying.

GP32와의 호환성은 없음
Translates to
With GP32 compatibility nil
Having nil could mean they are saying there will be no gp32 compatibility, but why would they mention that as a feature?

Well the source for all GP32 and GP2X MAME is available. Maybe they just ported it from the GP2X or GP32. What ws the last version of MAME on the GP32? was it 1.5 if so that explains why they are talking about 1.5 as they probably just ported it. They seem to change their mind with the weather. First the XGP was going to be a PSP clone with a phone pad and it was for commercial games only. Now it seems like they are trying to copy the GP2X. Originally the reason they split was because they insisted on doing a PSP clone while GPH wanted a GP32 successor. Now it seems like they have given up on the PSP clone and are doing a GP32 sucessor too. If that is the case why didn't they just stay together as they are now going for the same exact market it seems right now. It would have been much better to pool their resources behind one unit instead of directly competing with each other. Doesn't make sense.

Well sounds like those who want an improved GP32 may get their wish.

Too bad all that wireless digital broadcasting does not happen outside korea.
(Heh, wireless TV even analog is DOOMED)

Too big, too small...its got a proper Dpad, is't it that what counts?

Its not the size of your joystick, its how you use it.

Series-8 posted on Mar 1 2006 at 08:54 PM said:
Its not the size of your joystick, its how you use it.
*is imaginative about words to put instead of 'joystick'*

Back