You Guys Are Not Going To Believe It

craigix said:
PlopperZ said:
Kyosys said:
and why would they make the device that made them leave GP? :p
They might as well, it'd be vapor either way ;)

Oh I don't know, you might see that thing rise from the grave sometime soon.

But do you mean rise from the grave as in they will announce it again and it still won't come out? Or it will rise from the grave and actually be released?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombies, he was definatly refering to zombies.

The big question is do you want a gaming system that is designed and marketed by the undead? I mean seriously, you know they can't like the Resident Evil series, no support for that, forget castlevania games, the undead stick together.

someboddy said:
Yesterday I was telling a friend of mine about the Pandora, and can you guess what was the first thing he asked?

it was "Which company made it?"!!!

I started to freak out, and ofcourse I replied "NO COMPANY! A BUNCH OF DUDES MADE IT!"(it's in caps because I said it while freaking out).

Unfortunately, instead of saying something like "You mean, you cant really specify a manufacturer?", the guy just said "Dude, what the hell are you freaking out over?", so I told him about that thread.

True story.

Really, so your the "I R 1337 12 YEAR OLD LOL WHO LIEK KNOWS MORE ABOUT HOMEBREW THEN MY FIRENDS, BUT DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS CUZ IR'S THE LIL WEIRD KID IN CLASS ROFL, WHO POSTS HIS 1337 PWNAGE STORIES ON TEH INTERWEBS AND GENERATES EPIC LAWLS."

craigix said:
NOW, GPH will do some kind of "XGP" again? :D Now that we have the Pandora soon, GPH maybe starts with a new Handheld, funny. Or is it maybe BECAUSE of the Pandora they start with working? (I still doubt, GPH knows anything about the Pandora becasue GPH's community connections are nearly non existent)

Whatever, GPH is dead for me.

nubie said:
christo930 said:
At least the gp2x had the gp32 behind it, as where this is a first time effort. Has there been a company formed at this point? Pandora. Inc or something? I assume there are patents and trademarks owned by somebody and a holding company or something was formed?
Um, this is technically the device the GP2X should have been, and considering it has the same community, I figure it has the same people behind it.

Frankly the GP2X didn't have any games, the only ones I recall had Craigix's hand heavily in the matters.

The people behind the GP2X didn't give a crap as long as you bought their stupid device. The original Xbox controller is easier to use than the GP2X for gaming.

It isn't like this is vaporware, there is hardware and software, the trick is to let the community in on it. We get a handheld with a massive battery and dual SD AND USB! This is great. Considering the price I can't imagine this failing. Playstation emulation in software and overclocks to 900mhz!

Sorry, the pandora is even more this scene than the GP32 and GP2X, ever notice that the GP2X and GP32 have had massive changes in firmware and hardware that break a lot of apps/games? Ever notice that these changes aren't mentioned at all, just foisted on the buyer with no warning at all? As if to punish us for being foolish enough to buy their crap?

What could possibly be the motive behind making a change and then keeping everyone in the dark while apps quit working and units get corrupted firmware and die? How about writing the same "bad blocks" table to the firmware image? Practically a Guarantee that units will end up bricked.

Pissing us off with failed cables priced 500% over their worth, lame. Holding off on the USB until far too late for anyone to add proper support? Pricing simple hardware to make USB ($0.40 chip + USB socket + USB 1.1 hub, WITH power supply), at about $70!! F'ing ridiculous if you ask me, and a year too freaking late.

Notice how all of these concerns have been addressed, notice how Craigix has hosted the english-speaking shop (and been a major advertiser) for the GP32 and GP2X, as well as been active in the support of developers and software for it. Also throwing in SD card readers FREE, and having awesome failed unit policy (second-hand knowledge, I live in US, so wasn't best to buy from him).

I don't at all see the Pand. coming from a different place as the GP's, the same family, just the birth parents are no longer bastards.

I don't know what in the world you are talking about saying the gp2x is so difficult to use and how firmware upgrades are breaking all the software. I've never had any trouble like this. I personally think the gp2x is very easy to use and well built. The only thing I don't like about it is that the screen isn't suitable for ebooks and the controller could be much better, which when comparing to the gp32 makes the problem seem even worse given they had such a good controller already built. I don't know why you dislike the gp2x so much, I think it's a pretty good machine, and honestly, it does most of what I want out of it. And I really don't see how any of this relates to the question about a company being setup to hold patents and such things.

Chris

God Ginrai said:
nubie said:
christo930 said:
At least the gp2x had the gp32 behind it, as where this is a first time effort. Has there been a company formed at this point? Pandora. Inc or something? I assume there are patents and trademarks owned by somebody and a holding company or something was formed?
The original Xbox controller is easier to use than the GP2X for gaming.

What's wrong with the original X-box controller? I liked it.

jmetal88 said:
nubie said:
(I watch this train wreck of utter stupidity, in retrospect only slightly less annoying than the DS fanboi's talking about their craptacular "3D" Nintendo DS, as if poorly textured, poorly lit polygons possibly numbering in the hundreds are the holy grail. I honestly don't know what to think, 256x190 pixels with next to no processing power behind them? Or a screen of such poor quality I feel the need to measure the red pixel intensity die off in whole seconds? People who email on a PSP should be banned from creating offspring, I have seen more usable on-screen keyboards on an SNES game.)
:lol:

I know just how you feel there. I like the DS, but it would be dumb if I said it had awesome graphics. I had to put up with all my friends hyping about it shortly before its release. The only reason I got one is because it had Mario Kart. :p

Who gives a shit about the graphics? If you ask me, too much obsession with graphics quality is what is leading to all the shitty games that are coming out nowadays.

Most of the games nowadays focus on good graphics, and normally don't put enough thought into game mechanics and play. Not to mention, the difficulty of most games nowadays pale in comparison to all the old games.

Because people obsess over graphics, we aren't seeing the quality of games nowadays that we deserve, and I think it's bullshit to insult a game system because it doesn't have good graphics. Because it's not the graphics that matter, it's the quality of the games.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I had to get it off my chest.

-God Ginrai

I 100% agree with you. I'd rather have a game with ok graphics that's a blast to play that has control that feels fluid, than 10 games with out of this world graphics, ok game play and a control scheme that feels like it needs to be overcome to enjoy the game. I think that as long as the artwork is appropriate for the graphics power of the machine, then the graphics will be good. In other words, it's not so much graphics, in as much as it is the presentation of the artwork. I can consider a game with lesser graphics actually better than a game with better graphics, but presents the artwork more faithfully. So if the artwork is simple, but portrayed very well, it's better than more sophisticated artwork that is not portrayed as well. Also, at the end of the day it's gameplay that matters. I can play atari 2600 millipede for hours and nobody would hold this game up as an example of good graphics (for a 2600 game), yet it is widely regarded as one of the best 2600 games out there.
I think that part of the problem is that games have turned into such monstrosities in terms of man hours and budgets that producers simply can't afford to try new untested things. It used to be that games took 1 man a few months and now it's the norm to have multi-million dollar budgets for a game. When you are risking that much money, you need to make sure you are putting something out there that will sell, not something that's good or new. That is one of the things I like about home made games, there is a lot more put into what the dev wants, rather then what some marketing types thinks the game buying public wants. So while you may get some lousy games in the home brew community, you also can get some gems.

Chris

God Ginrai said:
nubie said:
christo930 said:

jmetal88 said:
nubie said:
(I watch this train wreck of utter stupidity, in retrospect only slightly less annoying than the DS fanboi's talking about their craptacular "3D" Nintendo DS, as if poorly textured, poorly lit polygons possibly numbering in the hundreds are the holy grail. I honestly don't know what to think, 256x190 pixels with next to no processing power behind them? Or a screen of such poor quality I feel the need to measure the red pixel intensity die off in whole seconds? People who email on a PSP should be banned from creating offspring, I have seen more usable on-screen keyboards on an SNES game.)

I know just how you feel there. I like the DS, but it would be dumb if I said it had awesome graphics. I had to put up with all my friends hyping about it shortly before its release. The only reason I got one is because it had Mario Kart. :p

Who gives a shit about the graphics? If you ask me, too much obsession with graphics quality is what is leading to all the shitty games that are coming out nowadays.

Most of the games nowadays focus on good graphics, and normally don't put enough thought into game mechanics and play. Not to mention, the difficulty of most games nowadays pale in comparison to all the old games.

Because people obsess over graphics, we aren't seeing the quality of games nowadays that we deserve, and I think it's bullshit to insult a game system because it doesn't have good graphics. Because it's not the graphics that matter, it's the quality of the games.

-God Ginrai

And it's a quite alright rant. I agree with you completely. My comment was more about how annoying it was having to listen to all the Nintendo fan boys telling me how awesome the DS's graphics were going to be before the release.

jmetal88 said:
God Ginrai said:
nubie said:
christo930 said:

jmetal88 said:
nubie said:

-God Ginrai

And it's a quite alright rant. I agree with you completely. My comment was more about how annoying it was having to listen to all the Nintendo fan boys telling me how awesome the DS's graphics were going to be before the release.

Its comforting to know there are others who agree with that. ^_^

I didn't have many Nintendo fanboys coming up to me about the DS at the time, but man, when the PS3 was coming out, that's all I heard about. And that was very annoying, I'll give it that.

-God Ginrai

I dunno... I do like to see more than 4000 polygons in a scene, ffs.
At least many games with good graphics have effort put into them, unlike Brain Training rehash 2012 and Cooking Mama 14:pancakes and fluffy shit.

I'm all for good gameplay when it's actually there instead of just hiding in a bunch of gimmicks for <4 or >80 year olds, but most games on DS are ridiculously bad quality. It shows a lot that the 1st party game I enjoyed the most is SM64DS, a launch title.

Goity said:
I dunno... I do like to see more than 4000 polygons in a scene, ffs.
At least many games with good graphics have effort put into them, unlike Brain Training rehash 2012 and Cooking Mama 14:pancakes and fluffy shit.

I'm all for good gameplay when it's actually there instead of just hiding in a bunch of gimmicks for <4 or >80 year olds, but most games on DS are ridiculously bad quality. It shows a lot that the 1st party game I enjoyed the most is SM64DS, a launch title.
You probably haven't skimmed into the games that aren't as well publicized, tho' (or the ones that don't come to America)

If you ever get a chance to play Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars, (the sequel) then try them. These games are 2D fighters, similar in play to Super Smash Bros. The only gimmick this game really has is that you can pit Goku versus Naruto. I say this, because I don't think the way the touch screen is used in these games is gimmicky, I believe it is very well thought out.

Btw, the reason you are seeing a lot of gimmicky games for the DS is because most companies see that the DS doesn't have amazing graphics and decide to go for the older or younger demographics, the ones who don't bitch about having good graphics. And since they aren't producing games for the main gaming demographics, they don't need to put much thought into gameplay.

It all comes down to this bullshit obsession with graphics in one way or another.

-God Ginrai

CandidStan said:
Really, so your the "I R 1337 12 YEAR OLD LOL WHO LIEK KNOWS MORE ABOUT HOMEBREW THEN MY FIRENDS, BUT DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS CUZ IR'S THE LIL WEIRD KID IN CLASS ROFL, WHO POSTS HIS 1337 PWNAGE STORIES ON TEH INTERWEBS AND GENERATES EPIC LAWLS."
LAWLS :lol:

God Ginrai said:

Oh, I fully agree. Otherwise I wouldn't have the Wii, and I wouldn't have just played Ocarina of Time all the way through. Those who can't play a game that doesn't have bling aren't playing for the hard core reasons. ;)

God Ginrai said:
If you ever get a chance to play Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars, (the sequel) then try them. These games are 2D fighters, similar in play to Super Smash Bros. The only gimmick this game really has is that you can pit Goku versus Naruto. I say this, because I don't think the way the touch screen is used in these games is gimmicky, I believe it is very well thought out.
Anime fighters...? No thanks, Optimus Prime. I'll stick with my Mario games, TYVM.

On jump superstars, i tried it, and it didnt really captivate me like SSB did, the controls just felt... off. and its a 50$ import that i cant read, so that might be part of it.
on the ds there is a ton of crap, but there is a surprising library of good games, like space invaders extreme, pheonix wright, the atlus games, FF3, Elite beat agents, etc. If you slog through the crap theres some pretty awesome stuff awaiting you.
On graphics, it can be used for things other than pure eye candy.
In crysis it made it easier to recognise grenades, enemies, etc, in hl2 it allowed for the physics engine and the gravity gun, in RTS games it allows for more units onscreen, and in games like call of duty and bioshock it can be used to add emersion or shock, such as if you walk into bright light from a dark area, your retenas have to adjust (play the free hl2 lost coast for a better example).
Gameplay is ultimately whats enjoyable, but what supports the gameplay is almost as important, like a plane would be much less enjoyable without a roof.
also i apologise for the spelling/grammar errors.
stupid IE7.

chad78 said:
God Ginrai said:
Anime fighters...? No thanks, Optimus Prime. I'll stick with my Mario games, TYVM.
1) It's from the Mangas, not the Animes

2) Once again my point remains, it's the gameplay that matters. Ever played Power Stone? Some of the strangest characters, but a great game because of its gameplay.

3) Please refrain from double posting, your two posts could have easily been combined with an Edit.

waffles said:
On jump superstars, i tried it, and it didnt really captivate me like SSB did, the controls just felt... off. and its a 50$ import that i cant read, so that might be part of it.
on the ds there is a ton of crap, but there is a surprising library of good games, like space invaders extreme, pheonix wright, the atlus games, FF3, Elite beat agents, etc. If you slog through the crap theres some pretty awesome stuff awaiting you.
On graphics, it can be used for things other than pure eye candy.
In crysis it made it easier to recognise grenades, enemies, etc, in hl2 it allowed for the physics engine and the gravity gun, in RTS games it allows for more units onscreen, and in games like call of duty and bioshock it can be used to add emersion or shock, such as if you walk into bright light from a dark area, your retenas have to adjust (play the free hl2 lost coast for a better example).
Gameplay is ultimately whats enjoyable, but what supports the gameplay is almost as important, like a plane would be much less enjoyable without a roof.
also i apologise for the spelling/grammar errors.
stupid IE7.
For me, I loved the gameplay of Jump, but I do agree that it saddens me that I can't read the storyline. As far as unlocking things in the single player, you can get the objectives translated from GameFAQs. The most fun you can get in this game is playing against other people. It's truly a multiplayer game, just like SSB.

Also, I understand the benefits that graphics can bring, but these people normally don't up the graphics so they can pull this stuff off, they realize that they can do this after they've already upped the graphics for the superficial reasons.

I still remember when the first madden game was being announced:

"You can see beads of sweat on the player's faces!" -Random Grafix nub

Now tell me, how does that make your gameplay more enjoyable?

-God Ginrai

christo930 said:
I think that part of the problem is that games have turned into such monstrosities in terms of man hours and budgets that producers simply can't afford to try new untested things. It used to be that games took 1 man a few months and now it's the norm to have multi-million dollar budgets for a game. When you are risking that much money, you need to make sure you are putting something out there that will sell, not something that's good or new. That is one of the things I like about home made games, there is a lot more put into what the dev wants, rather then what some marketing types thinks the game buying public wants. So while you may get some lousy games in the home brew community, you also can get some gems.

I don't think the move towards 'standard' prices helps. PS3 games in the shops here are £50, admitedly less online. But those that go into shops and throw down that much cash expect to be wowed by the graphics. Creating those graphics costs money and so you have a vicious circle. The big companies daren't release a game with lower quality graphics because they would get slated, so we continue with graphics eating a large chunk of the development budget. How do we end up on this merry-go-round? Because the hardware manufacturers keep trying to outdo each other and they have to release new consoles every so many years to keep generating revenue.

One positive I see is that at least Nintendo decided to try to be different with the Wii.

The other positive is that those sick of the endless cycle are more likely to be here waiting for Pandora.

Back