You Guys Are Not Going To Believe It

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
Oh I don't know, you might see that thing rise from the grave sometime soon.
NOW, GPH will do some kind of "XGP" again? :D Now that we have the Pandora soon, GPH maybe starts with a new Handheld, funny. Or is it maybe BECAUSE of the Pandora they start with working? (I still doubt, GPH knows anything about the Pandora becasue GPH's community connections are nearly non existent)

Whatever, GPH is dead for me.

actually, GPH has supported the team during the making of the pandora a little (or so I've read)

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
I still remember when the first madden game was being announced:

"You can see beads of sweat on the player's faces!" -Random Grafix nub

Now tell me, how does that make your gameplay more enjoyable?

-God Ginrai

Maybe they have a thing for sweaty men. :lol:

ZING!

Yeah, My favorite generation is the 16 bit generation. Graphics were advanced enough to be beautiful and you were able to tell what you were looking at, but they were "unadvanced" enough not to get in the way of the gameplay.

Kyosys said:
ZING!

Yeah, My favorite generation is the 16 bit generation. Graphics were advanced enough to be beautiful and you were able to tell what you were looking at, but they were "unadvanced" enough not to get in the way of the gameplay.
I think I agree with that. I still play many games on the SNES/MegaDrive. N64/PSX still had their gems,but now it feels like "We're losing him cap'n"

yeah, the first 3d generation was still ok, but it was also the generation that started it. My favorite games are mostly 16 bit

javaJake said:
God Ginrai said:
Most of the games nowadays focus on good graphics, and normally don't put enough thought into game mechanics and play. Not to mention, the difficulty of most games nowadays pale in comparison to all the old games.

Because people obsess over graphics, we aren't seeing the quality of games nowadays that we deserve, and I think it's bullshit to insult a game system because it doesn't have good graphics. Because it's not the graphics that matter, it's the quality of the games.
Oh, I fully agree. Otherwise I wouldn't have the Wii, and I wouldn't have just played Ocarina of Time all the way through. Those who can't play a game that doesn't have bling aren't playing for the hard core reasons. ;)

Props for playing OoT through again. I still play that game all the time. It's the reason I want N64 emulation on the Pandora. All the other games that would be made available are just perks. ;)

Kyosys said:
ZING!

Agreed. The 16-bit generation was a golden age for video games.

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai

depends on your definiton of "enjoyable" :(

My favorite generation was definetly the n64 era, mainly because i missed out on the majority of 16 bit games, with the exception of a few classics, such as donkey kong country, vectorman, sonic and knucles, etc. acually now that i think about it, the only time i can remember playing a NES was SMW3 in a hospital.
but i cought on to the n64 (almost) completely, (skipped the ps1 for some reason) but rented most of my games (with a few exceptions) which is why n64 emulation is so appealing, because i have about 30 awesome games i started playing, but never finished.
*goes and downloads a emulator, then realizes laptop cant run it*
blarg.

waffles said:

-God Ginrai

My favorite generation was definetly the n64 era, mainly because i missed out on the majority of 16 bit games, with the exception of a few classics, such as donkey kong country, vectorman, sonic and knucles, etc. acually now that i think about it, the only time i can remember playing a NES was SMW3 in a hospital.
but i cought on to the n64 (almost) completely, (skipped the ps1 for some reason) but rented most of my games (with a few exceptions) which is why n64 emulation is so appealing, because i have about 30 awesome games i started playing, but never finished.
blarg.

You never explained how seeing sweat was enjoyable.

Also, NES was 8-bit.

And, I very much like the N64 as well, there were a lot of gems for it. But IMHO, I didn't enjoy the Playstation at all (although I never played any of the PS1 FF games) So I tend to like the 16-bit era more, because it brought you enjoyment from BOTH big systems.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
waffles said:

-God Ginrai

blarg.

You never explained how seeing sweat was enjoyable.

Also, NES was 8-bit.

And, I very much like the N64 as well, there were a lot of gems for it. But IMHO, I didn't enjoy the Playstation at all (although I never played any of the PS1 FF games) So I tend to like the 16-bit era more, because it brought you enjoyment from BOTH big systems.

-God Ginrai

Some people who are into sports also enjoy ballet.
im not sure if you see where im going with this.

moving on!

I never understood why the ps1 was that popular, the only great titles i can think of are syphon filter, crash, spyro, Final fantasy, and MGS.
i think it might have been the last two that sold it.

waffles said:
I never understood why the ps1 was that popular, the only great titles i can think of are syphon filter, crash, spyro, Final fantasy, and MGS.
i think it might have been the last two that sold it.
Agreed.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:

IDK. I'm in complete agreement. Sweaty video game characters are not enjoyable.
Helena1-004.jpg

advanced graphics are stupid and worthless.

Look the point of "sweaty video game characters" is not just that you can see sweat. I agree that graphics *alone* add little to game play. However, attention to detail adds a lot. It's not about the sweat. It's that they took the time, talent, and money to *add* the sweat. They made it that "real" - that immersive.

Ever played Gran Tursimo? That game is no where near as "fun" as Super Mario Kart. But the attention to detail - from everything to the way the different cars perform to the graffiti on the street signs - that makes it something worth playing. It's the closest I'll ever come to driving 95% of those cars. Now, which game do I like more? Mario Kart! But that doesn't mean GT is stupid or worthless or a waste.

A truly great game requires a lot of elements to come together. Controls, storyline, graphics, music, and more. Graphics is just one part of that - but it is a part. "Good graphics" does not always - or even usually - equal photo realism. Viewitiful Joe was a beautiful game - but I don't think anyone would mistake a screenshot with real life. Same goes for God of War, or Super Smash Bros. or Katamari Damacy, or Halo, or ... You get the point. The graphics need to match the game - and they need to fit. And details is a part of that.

You know what impresses me about the DOA screenshot I included jokingly? It's not the cleavage - as nice as that might be - it's the folds in her sleeves, and her skirt. It's the light reflecting off the gold in the columns. it's the texture on the tiles on the floor. Some code monkey built all of that. Someone took the time - not just to make a hot babe for guys to ogle as they play - but to try to recreate real world lighting and physics using a computer simulation. That's hard core. Now - is that reason enough to buy and play a game? No - it's got to be more than a physics engine. But the attention to detail is, to me, as a designer, impressive.

Lurkio said:
Needz moar noodity :p
I'm pretty sure big, sweaty, NAKED football players is a virtually guaranteed way to not sell a video game.

WizardStan said:
I'm pretty sure big, sweaty, NAKED football players is a virtually guaranteed way to not sell a video game.
Remind me again how we got from me making a jokey comment about a picture to naked American footballers. :huh:

BTW my sweaty men and noodity posts are not meant to be linked, it will cause the universe to collapse.

One game that I feel pulls off the graphics vs gameplay balance really well in the current gaming generation is Bioshock.

It also happens to be one of the only first person shooters that I enjoy.

chad78 said:
Look the point of "sweaty video game characters" is not just that you can see sweat. I agree that graphics *alone* add little to game play. However, attention to detail adds a lot. It's not about the sweat. It's that they took the time, talent, and money to *add* the sweat. They made it that "real" - that immersive.

Ever played Gran Tursimo? That game is no where near as "fun" as Super Mario Kart. But the attention to detail - from everything to the way the different cars perform to the graffiti on the street signs - that makes it something worth playing. It's the closest I'll ever come to driving 95% of those cars. Now, which game do I like more? Mario Kart! But that doesn't mean GT is stupid or worthless or a waste.
I understand the whole immersive thing, but you can't immerse yourself in a video game if it doesn't have immersive gameplay in the first place. I'm not complaining about games having good graphics. I'm complaining about how most games go for graphics first, and then throw in the gameplay.

You mention Gran Turismo:
Yes, I've played it.
Yes, I like Mario Kart better.
Yes, Gran Turismo has great attention to detail.

But Gran Turismo isn't one of the games I'm complaining about, you know why? Because Gran Turismo has good gameplay. They didn't let gameplay fall by the wayside. It is a solid racing game. Once it has solid gameplay, improving on graphics is no problem of mine. In fact, I like it.

Good Graphics is great. IF you have solid gameplay already. NEVER work on graphics when you don't have gameplay pinned. (Unless you are working on a game such as DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball where the concern of the player is not to have a fun game, but to stare at bouncing boobs)

And as for DOA. DOA has a lot of unique twists to its gameplay that made it top-notch, such as Interactive Environments.

-God Ginrai

Back