Zodiac Doom

papapopalung posted on May 14 2004 at 02:01 AM said:
nes *wasn't* better than master system, but it had mario 1 2 and 3 :p
snes was better than megadrive (DUH!)
erm... i had an atari ST so i'm gonna defend it over amiga :p

and as for c64 vs spectrum... AMSTRAD CPC!!!!!! :p :p :p

(btw... DS looks HELLA nicer than PSP...)

that is not my 2P, they are THE FACTS, JACK!

erm... zodiac doom? dunno... is it really that shit? GP doom kicks A$$ :D :D

SNES wasn't necessarily better than the Megadrive! The SNES had one of the weirdest processors running at only 3mhz or so. But the graphics and sound hardware made up for it.

The SNES is the console equivalent of a thick bodybuilder.

Last edited by a moderator:
timeslip posted on May 14 2004 at 12:47 PM said:
khephren posted on May 14 2004 at 12:30 PM said:
Drumaster posted on May 14 2004 at 05:17 AM said:
Stop talking about your SNES...  :angry:
Create a new topic for that.  <_<
It's about Doom on Zodiac here!  :angry:
Chill out for f*** sake. A good thread is a good thread.

But to stay on topic: I cannot believe they are going to charge cash for that.

Also someone mentioned doom on the speccy, Iv'e got a version but with no monsters :( was there another released? Iv'e got a wolf clone built into a c64 demo, pretty good but blocky.

As for format wars....the Amiga one the 16bit wars (in Europe) one of the top selling home machines from 1986 to 1994 (games shops stopped selling the software, In about 1996, remember having to take the stock off the shelves *sniff*). The ST was just a super spectrum (although I had one and have fond memories of it)
The speccy version of Doom was never finished and yup your right never had monsters either. If memory serves correctly it was basically a technical demo by one of the speccy scene groups just to see if they could do it.

ST was just a super speccy - Both even had the same sound chip and lets be honest didnt have a hope in hell of competing with the Amiga.

Main reason a lot of the earlier games as similar was purely down 2 the fact that the ST versions were written first and then lazly ported.

And for the record there was also a version of Doom on the Amiga - and very good it was as well

(had to stay slightly in topic!)

And for the record the Atari ST is not a Super Speccy!!! It's just an Amiga without all the fancy games bits and a built in MIDI port

They are both 68000 machines! It was rubbish compared to the Amiga though - I had one :(

fdave posted on May 14 2004 at 05:06 PM said:
And for the record the Atari ST is not a Super Speccy!!! It's just an Amiga without all the fancy games bits and a built in MIDI port

They are both 68000 machines! It was rubbish compared to the Amiga though - I had one :(
The ST had the most pitiful sound chip in it ever since the Apple II, that is why they had to put a MIDI port in so you could put a REAL sound device on it. I mean the 1 mhz *C64* absolutely blew away the ST for sound!! And the Amiga with its 4 channel stereo sound, the ST wasn't even close.

fdave posted on May 14 2004 at 05:06 PM said:
timeslip posted on May 14 2004 at 12:47 PM said:
khephren posted on May 14 2004 at 12:30 PM said:
Drumaster posted on May 14 2004 at 05:17 AM said:
Stop talking about your SNES...  :angry:
Create a new topic for that.  <_<
It's about Doom on Zodiac here!  :angry:
Chill out for f*** sake. A good thread is a good thread.

But to stay on topic: I cannot believe they are going to charge cash for that.

Also someone mentioned doom on the speccy, Iv'e got a version but with no monsters :( was there another released? Iv'e got a wolf clone built into a c64 demo, pretty good but blocky.

As for format wars....the Amiga one the 16bit wars (in Europe) one of the top selling home machines from 1986 to 1994 (games shops stopped selling the software, In about 1996, remember having to take the stock off the shelves *sniff*). The ST was just a super spectrum (although I had one and have fond memories of it)
The speccy version of Doom was never finished and yup your right never had monsters either. If memory serves correctly it was basically a technical demo by one of the speccy scene groups just to see if they could do it.

ST was just a super speccy - Both even had the same sound chip and lets be honest didnt have a hope in hell of competing with the Amiga.

Main reason a lot of the earlier games as similar was purely down 2 the fact that the ST versions were written first and then lazly ported.

And for the record there was also a version of Doom on the Amiga - and very good it was as well

(had to stay slightly in topic!)

It wasnt an ACTUAL super speccy although it did share some of the same hardware( ho ho ho) but it really was the speccy of the 16 bit era -
Popular cos it was cheap, but hopelesly underpowered compared to the competition

Unless you were a musican of course
(which is why i had one, but had an Amiga for everything else)

Pushwall posted on May 14 2004 at 03:47 PM said:
Drumaster posted on May 14 2004 at 05:24 AM said:
So it can read WADS merged with PWADS?
As the WADS were before on GP32 (doom2.wad merged with dukegp.wad for example)... so can you play your own WADS or is it ONE packed file that doesn't allow you to play standard WADS?  :unsure:
I've got a Zodiac2 and bought Doom 2. The only WAD files I've found that work with this Doom 2 version are: the Doom95 Full Version of Hellraiser TC and the Gold Add-On Version to Doom2 to the Extreme. (To get these to work, I had to rename them to DOOM2.WAD.) I tried most all the WAD files at DoomWadStation, and those are the only ones I found that worked. Not good at all. :(

Anyone have any recommendations on other links to WAD files?
You'll find the best PWADS on my site but I think they'll work only if you merge them with DOOM2.WAD with Wintex. They have to be named DOOM2.WAD after that.
So Doom 2 on Zodiac works with DOOM2.WAD? The original DOOM2.WAD or a special version?
If it's the original WAD, so EVERY WAD should work if you merge them with the IWAD (DOOM2.WAD). :)

Drumaster posted on May 14 2004 at 07:26 PM said:
You'll find the best PWADS on my site but I think they'll work only if you merge them with DOOM2.WAD with Wintex. They have to be named DOOM2.WAD after that.
So Doom 2 on Zodiac works with DOOM2.WAD? The original DOOM2.WAD or a special version?
If it's the original WAD, so EVERY WAD should work if you merge them with the IWAD (DOOM2.WAD). :)
The WAD file that came with Zodiac Doom 2 is named DOOM2.WAD. I don't know if it is the original DOOM2.WAD or not. I think I might just pull out my old copy Doom2 and see.

Thanks so much for your help and the link to the Wintex utility. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work for Zodiac Doom2. I'll have to check out your site too for the best of the PWADS! B)

You're welcome. ;)
What is the filesize of your DOOM2.WAD? Original PC one is 14 604 584 bits. Has yours the same size?
I want to know if my PWADS work on Zodiac! :D

The filesize of the Zodiac DOOM2.WAD file is 14 639 397 bits. Almost the same, but not quite. I'll let you know if I have any success getting your PWADs to run on the Zodiac.

There are two or more different DOOM2.WAD so it seems to be the good one.

Can you test my PWADS after merging them with Wintex, pleeeeease? :D

I sure will. It will be really cool if all or some of your PWADs do work. I'm hoping to try it sometime this weekend. I'll let you know the results.

Drumaster, I got VERY good results. The only PWAD that wouldn't work was Hacx. The others work great! For the Simpsons and Star Wars, I had to merge the WAD files into my original DOOM2.WAD (using WinTex) for them to work. The other ones worked by just renaming them to DOOM2.WAD.

From just the brief bit I saw of these, these look and sound great!....VERY AMAZING indeed! Thanks for the info and pointing me in the right direction. You're going to make many Zodiac users happy with these! B)

Pushwall posted on May 15 2004 at 03:31 AM said:
Drumaster, I got VERY good results. The only PWAD that wouldn't work was Hacx. The others work great! For the Simpsons and Star Wars, I had to merge the WAD files into my original DOOM2.WAD (using WinTex) for them to work. The other ones worked by just renaming them to DOOM2.WAD.

From just the brief bit I saw of these, these look and sound great!....VERY AMAZING indeed! Thanks for the info and pointing me in the right direction. You're going to make many Zodiac users happy with these! B)
It's cool that it works! B)
It's strange Star Wars works because it's a DOOM I PWAD not for DOOM II.
It's also strange that my PWADS can work alone because a PWAD always needs IWAD (original WAD).

But if it works well on Zodiac, I'm happy about that! :D

Back