100 Hand Painted Special Edition Pandoras

Still not good enough WizardStan ,ok we wont know for sure untill everyone has their Pandora but what are we really looking at ? mabe 100 in 1000 not going to 800mhz ? higher or lower ? it's really not good enough,there needs to be a default hardware set with this ,what if you are one of the really unlucky ones to only get 600mhz ,that suxs big time but it could happen ,so how likely is it to happen ?

And Craig's ideas of special Pandora units cherry picked really bothers me ,it's mabe ok for the general user but don't you think all of us 4000 first time orderers who have been on here day after day holding on should get crap hardware ? don't you think we all deserve more than this kick in the teeth ?

I think all Pandora boards should be tested ,more than 4000 should be ordered ,all of us 4000 first timers should get a tested by hand checked for 800mhz board nothing more nothing less ,it's what we deserve after all this ,and OPT should be the ones to take the time to do it test board for board when building them.

paddy said:
Still not good enough WizardStan ,ok we wont know for sure untill everyone has their Pandora but what are we really looking at ? mabe 100 in 1000 not going to 800mhz ? higher or lower ? it's really not good enough,there needs to be a default hardware set with this ,what if you are one of the really unlucky ones to only get 600mhz ,that suxs big time but it could happen ,so how likely is it to happen ?

And Craig's ideas of special Pandora units cherry picked really bothers me ,it's mabe ok for the general user but don't you think all of us 4000 first time orderers who have been on here day after day holding on should get crap hardware ? don't you think we all deserve more than this kick in the teeth ?
Your paying for a 600mhz pandora, don't complain if you cannot go higher. Life is a bitch...

I for one would pay a bucketload of cash for one of Asmo's speccy pandoras...

Last edited by a moderator:
so 2.5% of the pandora's ever made will be definitely able to reach the clock speed that every other pandora has the potential to reach. why is that a big deal? also, you paid for a 600mhz device. these pandoras are going to be more expensive. people are paying extra for a design and something most other pandoras should be able to achieve

get a grip, mate. its not some kind of conspiracy. you are getting what you paid for. if you want one of these other ones, buy one and sell your other order. i dont really understand why people like you keep boohooing over things like this which are dividing out 2.5% of this batch, a number which will decrease with every single subsequent batch.

cuh, whiners

EDIT:

I think all Pandora boards should be tested ,more than 4000 should be ordered ,all of us 4000 first timers should get a tested by hand checked for 800mhz board nothing more nothing less ,it's what we deserve after all this ,and OPT should be the ones to take the time to do it test board for board when building them.

i think you should pay extra to have that stuff done to yours if you want it. i mean it isnt something you paid for originally and also, you are hilarious if you think that "deserve" has anything to do with it. hell you want to talk about things we are getting that we didnt pay for? how about increased RAM and NAND? how about a stylish case and several well developed and optimised operating systems. we are already getting loads more than we paid for.

Here's a novel idea. They could just crack on and make the units that they've commited to. I can see it now - "We've decided to delay the entire shipment by two months as the special editions aren't ready yet and it wouldn't be fair on those guys to wait longer then anyone else".

WizardStan said:
I'm pretty sure that when he says they're 800Mhz, they're really the exact same 600Mhz ones that they've just proven can clock up to 800Mhz. It's not like they're getting different hardware, these'd just be cherry picked to guarantee overclockability over 800Mhz.
I agree! I'm sure they will just hand test units, and pick out 100 that run stable at a higher rate.

I'm also sure none of this will take place until all 4000 customer units have been shipped.

@Craig
This is a cool idea, I would love to have a custom painted model that is unique and one of a kind. Painting some like those classic system mock ups would be truly AWESOME! A really cool celebration for the years of hard work, and for everyones patients. I would for sure buy one, but I'll never use it, so the 800Mhz is no big deal for me. I just want one as a cool keepsake/collectable! Looking forward to seeing this idea actually happen at some point.

Chris

What about the idea of selling an extra case (and associated bits etc) to existing pre-orders etc. Maybe at cost so anyone who wants to 'mod' or paint their pandora, can quite easily. There are enough cases ordered anyway. People could 'go to town' on the second case and create their own 'special' pandora.

It would also be cool if the photos of these units were uploaded for all to see and compare.

Craig, what sort or extra bucks are we talking to throw in a second set of plastics?

Craig: My friend pre-order two Pandoras - one for him and one for me. If I like this special piece of art, can I pay additional fees, give You my name, and order number to which shipment it will be packed? Friend probably will not need one hand painted.

WizardStan said:
I'm pretty sure that when he says they're 800Mhz, they're really the exact same 600Mhz ones that they've just proven can clock up to 800Mhz. It's not like they're getting different hardware, these'd just be cherry picked to guarantee overclockability over 800Mhz.

So for someone who paid 19 months ago (with a promise of delivery within two months), and still did not get anything, this scheme will reduce the chance to get a processor working at 800 MHz?

And I am sure that this scheme will not cause a delay, nothing ever causes a delay.

The only way this scheme is acceptable is if they do it after shipping the 4000 (or how many pre orders they have right now), and use CPUs that are specifically ordered from TI for this purpose.

Are you guys forgetting Craig said 900 was not a problem for the Pandora buy and large ? ok mabe you guys are happy to get less than others for the same money and all this waiting but i am not ,and the main point is that none of us have a pandora yet but OPT want to milk some more money ,how long have you guys really been waiting ? and like i say ,i want 800mhz as it is possible if these boards are checked manualy ,then i think i will cancel now ,wait and request a 800mhz pandora is this possible ? coz if it is then thats what i want.

I agree, I dont really like this idea, it would cause delays and I doubt 100 people would be willing to delay their orders while others receive their pandoras.

If you really want to do something for a special edition pandora just order a few hundred clear or tinted cases and sell them after batch 1 is over. Polished, CNCed aluminum would be better but likely too expensive.

whats wrong with you guys? where is all this new delays nonsense coming from? they get the cases delivered, mweston travels to the uk, they start getting made and whatever is made on a day or the previous day gets sent out. they arent just gonna sit there looking pretty. they will get made and anything else like special editions will be done completely separately. theyre not gonna hold back 3900 units for the sake of 100.

some of you guys are crazy!

My guess is that by the time the 10th Pandora has been put together, the 1st one will be in a box with the delivery address already written on it...

Ok ,say 1000 out of the 4000 pandora boards do not clock past 600mhz ,the other 3000 guys are all having fun running everything better and more apps ,emulators/homebrew software in general are then writen for above 600mhz ,what about the poor 1000 600mhz max customers ,do you think this is fair ,really do you think this is fair ?
also i want the best i can get ,does this mean i need to pay even more money ? just to get 800mhz this is all at the same time OPT have said the pandora can do 900mhz.

I think some people here have more money than sense ! and very blind at the same time,i also thought the pandora was a collectable from the offset but apparently not now there will be better pandora units out there to the select few and i am supposed to be happy with this even tho i have been here for 2 years waiting.

aq21 said:
WizardStan said:

So for someone who paid 19 months ago (with a promise of delivery within two months), and still did not get anything, this scheme will reduce the chance to get a processor working at 800 MHz?

I'dd feel really shafted after having waited so long if they reduce our chance to get "good" pandora by cherry picking a huge proportion of the pandora (100/4000...)

paddy said:
Ok ,say 1000 out of the 4000 pandora boards do not clock past 600mhz ,the other 3000 guys are all having fun running everything better and more apps ,emulators/homebrew software in general are then writen for above 600mhz ,what about the poor 1000 600mhz max customers ,do you think this is fair ,really do you think this is fair ?
also i want the best i can get ,does this mean i need to pay even more money ? just to get 800mhz this is all at the same time OPT have said the pandora can do 900mhz.

I think some people here have more money than sense ! and very blind at the same time,i also thought the pandora was a collectable from the offset but apparently not now there will be better pandora units out there to the select few and i am supposed to be happy with this even tho i have been here for 2 years waiting.
If you feel so strongly about this, go and sue Intel, AMD and ARM. You could make billions...

[Edit] Me being stupid...

paddy said:
Are you guys forgetting Craig said 900 was not a problem for the Pandora buy and large ? ok mabe you guys are happy to get less than others for the same money
900 was never guaranteed! 600 is guaranteed, no more, no less. Exactly 600. Anything over that was and is a bonus. If you can only go to 600, you are not unlucky, you are normal. If you can go above 600, you are lucky.
They're just cherry picking a few that they will guarantee have that bonus.
You want an 800? Ok, they give you one guaranteed to overclock to 800. It becomes unstable at 820 though, so there's no overclocking beyond that 800. I get my normal 600 and find that it can clock to 950 before becoming unstable. I consider myself very lucky. I don't consider you unlucky because you are getting exactly what you paid for.
aq21 does raise one good point, that pulling 100 out decreases the odds of someone being lucky enough to overclock, but that just increases the number of normal people. But by how much, we can't tell. So far as I can recall, all the test units clock over 800 pretty easily. It could be 1:100 that doesn't go above 700 and these 100 guaranteed to 800 are not that special. Or the actual CPUs they're getting are worse than the original samples and only 1:10 CAN go above 700, making these 100 much more special. I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about it though. You paid for a 600Mhz CPU, any overclock is a free extra. You may as well complain that your friend got one extra cookie in his bag than you. You got the advertised number of cookies, enjoy your cookies for they are delicious!

paddy said:
Yes, it is fair. They are not unlucky to not get more than 600, everyone else is lucky to be able to run the extra stuff.

craigix said:
These units will be collectors items to celebrate the launch of the Pandora. We decided it was something we should do (as many other consoles have done too).
Just to confirm the obvious ... these will be created after the four thousand have been built and are on their way to be shipped, right?

WizardStan said:
paddy said:
Yes, it is fair. They are not unlucky to not get more than 600, everyone else is lucky to be able to run the extra stuff.

yes, I find it fair too, we bought something guaranteed only to 600MHz...
what I would not find fair would be:
getting a "guaranteed 600MHz pandora that has 2900/4000 chance to run up to 800MHz" instead of "guaranteed 600MHz pandora that has 3000/4000 chance to run up to 800MHz" because they cherry picked some of the good one... with 3000/4000 running at 800 MHz it's not too bad, now imagine the same figure but with only 300/4000 getting to 800MHz...

WOW, people around here will fight over anything.

I really doubt these units will ever happen, but if they do actually see the light of day, I would imagine it will be down the line at some point. If eveyone has there unit, and then the team decides to release a limited edition model after the fact, what is the problem?

A friend of mine bought a DSi, and then a week later the XL model was anounced. He was pissed off, but it wasn't the end of the world. This isn't even a "NEW" model, just a one time item. If the team ships out all the preordered units, and then they decide to release a limited edition model at a higher cost, where is the harm in that? Everyones Pandora will still run all software made available. If these units are 700+ dollars, I really don't see many buying one and using it for daily use. This is just really a pointless argument.

There are a lot of things to be pissed off about around here, but I just don't see this being it, but more power to those who have a problem!

Chris

Back