100 Hand Painted Special Edition Pandoras

ED said on the german forums that the 100 won't be a part of the 1st batch. so they're not from the 4000...

LeChuck87 said:
ED said on the german forums that the 100 won't be a part of the 1st batch. so they're not from the 4000...

At least that's what I thought - but then I haven't seen craigs post here :)
It might be he still has 100 additional units (well, I'm sold out at the moment, but I don't know his numbers) or he thought about upgrading orders that already exist.

Might be fun - I could also do some design... That's the EDition :D

Last edited:
Go right ahead, as long as those 100 cherry-picked pandoras are not from the first batch. Given that, nice idea :)

We can make them because we have 100 spare units and we want to make some special edition ones. It's nothing new. Special editions exist for almost every console/computer ever made. Even Gamepark did it with the GP32.

This is something we want to do, which will be fun for us.

And considering we have lost a fortune on these 4000, making some extra money would indeed lift our moods.

craigix said:
We can make them because we have 100 spare units and we want to make some special edition ones. It's nothing new. Special editions exist for almost every console/computer ever made. Even Gamepark did it with the GP32.

And considering we have lost a fortune on these 4000, making some extra money would indeed lift our moods.
Go for it!

It's sounds like a very cool idea. If you guys want to do it, that's your business. I don't feel the team is snubbing the community at all.

ONLY the Pandora team could announce a special edition and get people upset. I must say, it's never a dull moment around here.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:

Havn't read the whole thread but the special editions should go to the highest bidder. I want a gold painted one...

I still think OPT should release a breast cancer awareness series. Just paint the lid pink, and for every lid returned, OPT donates $0.10 to charity. Yoplait does it. It *has* to work.

800MHz guaranteed at OPP3? With what sort of testing - heavy CPU load including NEON? What's the DSP clocked at in this scenario? And if it's overclocked too, how is it being tested?

800MHz at OPP3 really is something that existing Pandora's haven't been getting across the board, which is unsurprising since it's a huge overclock over 500MHz. I'm concerned that one of these special edition Pandoras will be on the razor edge of meeting performance, then when the really intensive software comes out they'll suddenly be failing at 800MHz.

Personally I think this staunch stance against OPP5 even at 600MHz but endorsing 800MHz at OPP3 is a little crazy, all due to what's being considered "overvolting"..

traylorpark said:
Gruso said:
If they were GP32X members though, who would we nominate? Asmo, traylorpark, Mr Gonzo, Clean3D come to mind... I know there's plenty of other talent here too. Maybe torpor could silver plate one. ^_^

I paint with a hammer. Is that okay?

I eat crayons and let nature take it's course.

Exophase said:
800MHz guaranteed at OPP3? With what sort of testing - heavy CPU load including NEON? What's the DSP clocked at in this scenario? And if it's overclocked too, how is it being tested?

800MHz at OPP3 really is something that existing Pandora's haven't been getting across the board, which is unsurprising since it's a huge overclock over 500MHz. I'm concerned that one of these special edition Pandoras will be on the razor edge of meeting performance, then when the really intensive software comes out they'll suddenly be failing at 800MHz.

Personally I think this staunch stance against OPP5 even at 600MHz but endorsing 800MHz at OPP3 is a little crazy, all due to what's being considered "overvolting"..
Can standard Pandora's get up to 800 stable?

It seems that 800MHz at 1.2V has high success rate on the N900.

See here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=646072&postcount=101

aq21 said:
It seems that 800MHz at 1.2V has high success rate on the N900.

See here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=646072&postcount=101
Yes but the N900 uses a different board.

Sphinxter said:
Distracted by the clock rate, I bleed for you but thinking about or doing anything but putting my pandora together and shipping it to me ASAP is fucked up.
so theyre gonna sit there, waiting for the parts to arrive, little else to arrange that isnt already in hand, and solely think about getting them made? come on man, even if they took an hour lunch break and thought about it, there would still be plenty of spare hours in the day.

Special Edition? :wacko: How about getting the First Edition out first? :huh:

craigix said:
We can make them because we have 100 spare units

You don't have spare units. You have preordered Pandoras, which are paid and are "no longer your own".

If you use one those Pandoras before you fulfilled your dept, your customers will pay with a later delievery.

After all, i do like the idea and i like to see you getting some extra money for it.

But there are only two possilbe ways not to kick your customers a...

1. Those special edition is offered as an upgrade for existing preorders only.
2. Those special edition is offered after the delivery of all already ordered Pandoras, not matter whether prepaid or not.

jumpman said:
ONLY the Pandora team could announce a special edition and get people upset. I must say, it's never a dull moment around here.
It's a trained response. It feels like every time the plan changes, even slightly, the ship-out date on stuff pushes back.

Any time I read a sentence from Craigix that starts "We're thinking of ..." or "We've decided to ...", my mind mentally pushes back delivery date by at least two weeks.

This is probably a completely unfair reaction, etc, but I can't help it. We're like Pavlov's dogs here. It takes deliberate effort not to angrily hit "reply" before reading the rest of that sentence, let alone the rest of his post.

Maybe to avoid triggering these learned instincts from the animal parts of our brain Craigix should start each sentence with "Your Pandora is still on track, but ..."

double7 said:
You don't have spare units. You have preordered Pandoras, which are paid and are "no longer your own".

If you use one those Pandoras before you fulfilled your dept, your customers will pay with a later delievery.
I think he means that the plan is to manufacture 4,000 units, but less than 4,000 pre-orders have been taken.

If the SE units don't get made until after the 3,800-or-so pre-orders are built and tested, then there's no reason for alarm at all. (It'd be nice to get craigix to actually say this, rather than just allowing us to assume it.)

Back