3do Emulator

Kaze0110

Still Fresh
I'm certain the pandora has all of the necessary hardware and processing power to achieve full emulation for the 3do system, I'm curious as to if there are any devs who have plans in the works on porting one over to be compatible with the pandora?

I've seen nothing on the matter, and it being a relatively obscure system from the early 90's, doesn't have a very high fan base.

If there's not one in the works, could somebody put it on a list of "things to be ported" please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered wondering if anyone was going to attempt this obscure system but deemed it not popular enough.

Never played one... would if had emulator, but won't miss it. :unsure:

'Kaze0110' said:
I'm certain the pandora has all of the necessary hardware and processing power to achieve full emulation for the 3do system, I'm curious as to if there are any devs who have plans in the works on porting one over to be compatible with the pandora?

I've seen nothing on the matter, and it being a relatively obscure system from the early 90's, doesn't have a very high fan base.

If there's not one in the works, could somebody put it on a list of "things to be ported" please?
I wouldn't count on it. 3do emulation on the pc isn't even very good and there is really only 1 (freedo). And that hasn't been updated for about 2 years. I'm not sure if the source code is available for it and it's not on their website. SOOOO, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a developer to put all the time and effort into developing an emulator for a system that doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of good games. I also wouldn't wait for a cdi emulator ether. They are 2 system unlikely to be emulated. As a matter of fact, I think the only gains that will be made for the Pandora in terms of emulation (over the gp2x) is PSX and possibly N64 (which is by no means guaranteed). There will also probably be better snes, DOS, Amiga and Mame will be advanced by a couple of years, but certainly not 3d games. SNES is already pretty good on the GP2X, certainly playable. Hopefully it will be made up by more ports of 3d games, but I don't think there are that many open source popular 3d games anyway.

Chris

A quick googling of FreeDO has returned their website, which then returned their forum, which then lead to the simple post of them announcing the code being returned as open source.

http://www.freedo.org/forum2/index.php?board=1.0

Indicating the last steps needed would be for the code itself to be posted online, then ported over to pandora, unless I'm missing something?

EDIT:

A tad more digging also returned this: "http://fourdo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fourdo/trunk/code/"

Don't hesitate to flame me if I'm wrong :p
But since 3DO is also running an arm (from what wiki says) wouldn't even something like wine be possible, and make the hardware even more capable for playing 3DO games?

'Duke_Igthorne' said:
But since 3DO is also running an arm (from what wiki says) wouldn't even something like wine be possible, and make the hardware even more capable for playing 3DO games?
No.

You wouldn't need such a thing anyway, the ARM in 3DO isn't that fast compared to what's in Pandora (but you'd still want to use a recompiler). I would be more concerned with emulating the other hardware at a decent speed.

Kaze0110; Pretty much everything FreeDO admin says can be disregarded, he has been a constant stream of empty claims and promises for years now, and I had very little expectation that the move to open source was actually going to happen. It has gotten pretty ridiculous.

'Exophase' said:
'Duke_Igthorne' said:
No.

You wouldn't need such a thing anyway, the ARM in 3DO isn't that fast compared to what's in Pandora (but you'd still want to use a recompiler). I would be more concerned with emulating the other hardware at a decent speed.

Kaze0110; Pretty much everything FreeDO admin says can be disregarded, he has been a constant stream of empty claims and promises for years now, and I had very little expectation that the move to open source was actually going to happen. It has gotten pretty ridiculous.

What then of this FourDO Razz-ma-tazz?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fourdo
http://fourdo.svn.sourceforge.net/

Yea, Waiting for the source to be released from Freedo has been a mess. Why is it such a hassle for them to release the source code?

'Kaze0110' said:
That's not FreeDO. It's an entirely different 3DO emulator, and last I heard it doesn't do an awful lot.

Phawx; That's not even the half of it. The guy has made all kinds of claims about getting ports to run fullspeed on Dreamcast, XBox, PocketPC, even GP2X. He's gone so far as to say he was releasing on a given date just a few days in the future then disappear completely without any explanation as to why he hasn't released. The whole situation is baffling since he obviously knows what he's talking about from a technical standpoint and knows how to emulate 3DO. Maybe he's just a compulsive liar.

'Exophase' said:
'Kaze0110' said:
That's not FreeDO. It's an entirely different 3DO emulator, and last I heard it doesn't do an awful lot.

Perhaps I'm not a very loyal gamer, however the manner in which the game I've got converts from bits on a disc into lines on a screen is not important, solely that it occurs causes my happiness. Program "A" from Program "B" doesn't matter to me if it plays the same.

And bearing in mind what you'd said, I seem more inclined to have hope in a project that is 10 percent complete, and yet documented, as opposed to one that is 99 percent complete, with no reason to believe it.

'Kaze0110' said:
'Exophase' said:
Perhaps I'm not a very loyal gamer, however the manner in which the game I've got converts from bits on a disc into lines on a screen is not important, solely that it occurs causes my happiness. Program "A" from Program "B" doesn't matter to me if it plays the same.

Do please pardon me if I've misunderstood the meaning of your post, but; I'm going to guess that "doesn't do an awful lot" in this instance means something like "It doesn't run any games" or "It won't get past booting up". ;)

'craigix' said:
Maybe.... he's DEAD.
Problem Sleuth is on the case!

ps001.gif

'Prometheus' said:
'Kaze0110' said:
'Exophase' said:

Do please pardon me if I've misunderstood the meaning of your post, but; I'm going to guess that "doesn't do an awful lot" in this instance means something like "It doesn't run any games" or "It won't get past booting up". ;)

CODE

http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=210531&ssid=88103

;)

That wasn't what I meant. :lol:

Jeez they released a 2.02 alpha of Freedo on Feb 17th.

@Exophase

Yea, I remember all the talks of ports. I owned a 3DO when I was younger, so when I first found Freedo I was super excited. The slow development process made me look for other ways to play stuff on my 3DO. Than I found out that 3DO didn't have any copy protection. Just burn a cd and pop it in and the 3DO will play it.

A 3DO emulator would be a bad idea since that system has only a few good games, like the CDi. Unless we put both systems (and perhaps some more obscure ones) on it, it would be a waste of time.

Yeah but why not :D The more the merrier right?

But I think this should be a project that is to be done when all projects are done :eek:

'Nicfer' said:
A 3DO emulator would be a bad idea since that system has only a few good games, like the CDi. Unless we put both systems (and perhaps some more obscure ones) on it, it would be a waste of time.
What are you talking about??

There are some great 3D0 games!

The Return Fire games, Need For Speed, Road Rash, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, GEX, Daedalus Encounter, Star Control 2, Idol Jansi Suchi Pai Special, Flashback, Out of this World.

Loads of superior ports and some very nice original titles too. Definitley a worthy machine to emulate.

Back