A further update on preorders (18th of November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK now I feel like a fucking idiot. I waited 4 years (Oct 2008 preorder). Then the special 150 unit 1Ghz preorder came up and not learning from my previous 4 years I actually doubled down and paid Craig again thinking this would finally expedite my order and get me a slightly upgraded unit as well. Does this mean I will never receive any kind of Pandora because I'm in the 1Ghz limbo queue? Is my $700+ gone? I also asked for either the 1Ghz unit I ordered or a refund two months ago I got a reply saying if they couldn't ship they would refund and I haven't heard from them since no unit or money. I sent another email Monday but got no response. Now what?

Your order isn't gone; its in Craigs queue by the sounds of it, so if he can get more sales then he can buy more units from ED to ship out; alternatively, sales in ED's shop (and Links shop?) and donations are pushing through units on that queue as well. Lastly, ED has so far maintained he'll not let anyone hang out to dry.. he's doing what he can for that queue, albeit slower of course :/

Another option is the cross-upgrade from Craigs queue into EDs queue but I've no idea how that works.

Or a refund as you're pursuing.

No one is lost, its just the long tail of wait :/

jeff

Yeah, the last thing that people should do now is panic. If you keep an eye on EDs shop you can see the stock coming and going, it seems to move pretty quickly. So lets sit back and see what happens with this 500 units.

Your order will happen, what is uncertain is when, and whether Ed will get any actual money for the manufacture of it (or even whether OPUK will exist when you get it). You've done nothing wrong, but have been screwed over by the circumstances.

If this had been setup so the money for all 1GHZ upgrades was going to Ed in the first place then the refunds could not have taken the money for the production of your order.

What I'm very interested to hear about Craig, is how that "tax refund" money you were talking about is coming along ...

I would not advise anyone to send OPUK money for anything ever again. You will have no certainty that it will be used for the purpose you sent it. I had no idea that when I upgraded I would be paying for someone elses refund. I also had no idea that my unit would end up being one of the "free" units funded by ED's sales as it has turned out.

I would really like Craig to think long and hard about passing the buck to ED right now. This mess is not due to ED.

I'm trying to be patient. To be honest I'm despondent at this point. I'm not sure how Craig is going to recover it looks like he gave up. I looked at the "buy now" button on openpandora.org his shop isn't even listed right now so I am dubious as to how he is going to make any more sales to cover the 1Ghz limbo queue. Even Ed said he was working on the original preorder queue which I assume I am no longer in because of my upgrade but he had doubts about fulfilling the 1Ghz units without cross orders. The problem is I already paid for the upgrade and I feel like I've been burned twice.

Craigix is in a pickle and Ed is trying to help. The current sentiment being expressed is the reason why I tried to impart a sense of urgency to the community. It was not well recieved partly due to the fact that I'm a lousy communicator and other character flaws. This would be a good time for the community to really pull together and make the things that needs to happen, happen.

Although we are past the blame game we need to address the failings and look forwards to the future and use every available means that the community possesses to ensure the dream stays alive. The current styles of donations are an excellent start and I would encourage them to continue. However that alone can not shore up the holes fast enough. We need community leaders to take action and focus on diverse and key areas such that we generate interest, sales, and maintain a positive tone through open and frank communication. We need to manage the expectations of consumers and potential consumers better than we are currently.

Blaming CC, Craigix and what have you is the easy thing. Actually getting off our arse and addressing the issue with a call to arms is the hard thing. I know. I tried. Feel free to beat me up as much as you wish btw, I only ask that while you do that you actually attempt to generate results in a timely fashion to reduce/repair our current situation.

I know most of you have your pandoras. I know most of you are confident with Ed's shop. I know that most of you feel that really this isn't your problem. I'm here to tell you that in the long run this actually is your problem if you want to see the continued success of the OPT dream.

Like I said, donations are a great start. Let's figure out how to generate even more donations by varying the types of ways that people can donate. Pay what you want type donations for certain downloads, t-shirts/hats, pre-installed SD cards. WHATEVER you can think of. Let's increase sales by advertising through both conventional and unconventional means. Let's figure out ways to step up our game (for instance I've mentioned press kits in the past).

The pre-order issue is propagating through the 1ghz issue and will continue unless we reset our mentality and actively seek (in a non-leisurely fashion) to address what is rapidly becoming a large issue. Don't take my advice. Listen to those community leaders willing to and able to step up to the plate and raise the bar higher than previously believed possible. Hate me as you wish but DO SOMETHING. Leave Ed and Craigix out of the equation unless necessary and allow them to discuss certain issues behind closed doors without all this speculation and finger pointing.

You guys are really going to be pissed if sometime in the future, I come back with an "I told you so" post, because it would have been true and you would rather spend time slaying the messenger rather than the dragon (NOT ED) breathing at our door.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might help minutely if we had a visual indicator of the donation stash used to pay for undelivered pre-orders somewhere on the site. It could even be for one unit at a time with a counter for thus far financed pre-orders below a growing pillar of donated money climbing towards 100% to pay for yet another unit and add to the counter to reset itself. This would illustrate the effect of every individual donation on a more concrete level and potentially add to the momentum and motivation of the community in its efforts to collectively push things forward (upward if you will). While I'm poor as fuck undoubtedly I can squeeze together 10€ every now and then to add to the fund, but seeing the progress - and maybe even having the privilege of adding that final arbitrary amount of money to trigger incrementing the counter - would affirm people that their contributions are significant and promote collective effort.

Basically I don't blame anybody but why Craig?

What really happen to you?

I'm very very difficult to understand what are you doing.

Also I'm very disappointed about your irresponsible attitude.

Coz. you wrote resume shipping 1GHz in last month also take more upgrade asking by email (this is your plan right?)

So where is the money for that? you never say that money use for 26units?

Well this is not ED's hands this is 100% your responsibility so you have to do something by yourself.

Why you didn't send money of rest of units to ED?

I think you have to explain why didn't order rest of 1GHz to ED coz. this is your duty.

Actually I don't want to ask refund if I can get within this year but if can't there is no other way.

I can't help anymore about money things coz. I did a lot.

Er, so wait... Where did the money Craig got from tax refund and 1ghz upgrades go? All refunds?

As to my understanding, ED has the 1ghz units in stock, but craig doesn't. And the people in Craig's queue (like me), can't get any because Craig doesnt have any units... Where did the money from the 1ghz orders go...? 150 1ghz units were ordered and paid for, so how come Craig didn't order and pay for 150 units from ED?

Well this is timely, I just cross-graded into ED's shop. Maybe I saw this coming.. I was in Craig's 1GHz test run my arse queue and only approx 10 places away.

What I didn't expect was Craig airing his dirty laundry in public forum, and blaming ED for his queue issues. WTF Craig get a grip and sort your shit out privately!. You created the 1Ghz debacle yourself don't blame Ed for any of this! This is utterly irresponsible and may be the end for you, your actions may cause a flood of refund requests which we know you cannot fulfil.

The circus is back in town! At this point, the community has a pretty good grasp of what's happening behind the scenes.

I think ED needs to focus on clearing out his batch1/2 queue and get his orders inline. Craig needs to be dedicated to paying for his queue and selling units to fund this.

ED can be a gentlemen as much as he wants.. but I think in the long term, getting his queue down to zero is better than balancing both.

I can add that preorders who do not upgrade are waiting to get a product shipped BELOW COST to them. I can only encourage them to UPGRADE and pay the extra to allow OPT to stay viable.

It is more at cost, if you consider that two sales of rebirth units or one GHz unit funds another unit, too.

I can add that preorders who do not upgrade are waiting to get a product shipped BELOW COST to them. I can only encourage them to UPGRADE and pay the extra to allow OPT to stay viable.

Enough upgrading. This is just looking like a Ponzi scheme after what Craig did with the 1Ghz pre-order money. He is as transparent as a wood log and whoever continues to fuel him with cash is just making things worse for themselves. And this is not BELOW cost as you pretend, the cost of components has dropped over the year at a faster place than cash inflation.

And I do not expect ED to be accountable for Craig's dirty tricks.

Ekianjo, the upgrades are working directly through me.

Payment and shipment of the upgrades that are currently happening are being done through my shop, so they certainly get their units right away.

So an upgrade sure is helpful, will post some quick calculations later today.

Edit: Doesn't ED send the original preorder units out by himself now, when they are produced?

How could he, if he doesn't know who's next in the queue?

I'm under the impression that the "other half" of units gets sent to Craig and he handles them from there.

If this was done any other way, ED would have to manage all Craigs queues (who's refunding, who's upgrading, who's doing what) and I guess he'd be burned out quite soon doing that... Craig certainly seems to be :-(.

Keep up the work guys, don't give up, I dare say most of us (I'm among the original preorderers) are still keeping the faith despite all the flamewars...

The moment it is possible to upgrade my pre order to a 1GhZ for a fair price (100$-150$) Ill pull out my credit card the same day and upgrade.

Two conditions though:

1. The unit is in stock and ready to be sent out a as soon as payment arrives.

2. ED handles the upgrade although I bought from Craig.

Normally, you get vouchers directly from Craigs shop and do the payment directly through my shop.

Only a few ones paid to Craig and the payment and order details have been sent to me. This also happens instantly, no worries.

Most of these units (except the updates that happened during the last five days) have already been shipped, but I didn't have the time to send a shipment confirmation mail yet (unlike the orders that went through my shop, as they get an automatic "shipped"-mail.

I'll try to send all the mails to the already shipped units today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back