A Pc Is Like A Pet...

pubjoe: Well, I actually looked on ebay and found 2500s also, so when I say 2600 I mean some card around that spec. I know one is selling for £31 right now. But as I said I'm waiting it out until the GT is cheaper.

The graphics card is going to help me tons. I'm on a Ti4200. The 6800 GT is two generations above it, but virtually the same card (as far as price range and overclockability goes, although I only paid about £100 for the 4200). This means even without the memory and processor I could probably move up two resolutions on Doom 3, but more importantly I'm thinking about HL2 and the other games based on Doom 3 and HL2 engines. Or STALKER, FEAR, Black & White 2, maybe even finally being able to run SimCity 4 with a medium-sized city and not have it die on me :)

mattmagoo: That deal sucks, two years ago I could have bought that PC for £1000 with the screen. Times have changed and I think you could get it a lot cheaper if you look around.

finty101: BFG? Please elaborate, 'cos I still have time to change stuff.

---

Here I am chuffed about my new PC but look at this: http://www.povcomp.com/prizes/

Kind of puts me to shame, doesn't it :)

Well I would, but the Magazine I was reading about it in is in my Dads car :|

I will have a look around for the full, proper name.

EDIT: Go with the 6800, I can't find the other card, but it was basically a little less powerful than the 6800 but out performed it.

EDIT2: I found it, its actually a varient of the 6800 or something. Go with the 6800.

I'm guessing it's the PCI-Express version that just come out, and you can buy another one and combine them. I heard it kind of sucked.

check out

www.novatech.co.uk

and

www.ebuyer.co.uk

Ebuyer had a AMD XP 3000+ CPU for £98 or something

Steve-O: I already check ebuyer, although they aren't always the cheapest. The thing is, the £60-£70 XP-M can be overclocked much more because it has a lower temperature and unlocked multiplier. As pubjoe said, it can reach up to 4400+ speeds. For the same price as the 3000+ you mention, if you throw in a couple of fans.

Rico posted on Aug 20 2004 at 01:05 PM said:
As pubjoe said, it can reach up to 4400+ speeds. For the same price as the 3000+ you mention, if you throw in a couple of fans.
Cooooooooool :D

What about water cooling it???

Last edited by a moderator:
Droool.... Liquid nitrogen pipes....

Personally, I'm on a 2600+ (Barton core) chip, which supposedly has one of the best overclock abilities around... but *nothing* like as good as that 2600 M one, evidently. If I had more money and more inclination, I'd get one...

Sod it, I bought this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=6701469812

I paid more than I should have (the desktop XP3200+ goes for £86ish on import) but I suppose I'm gauranteed that it'll overclock well. (as long as the seller is telling the truth!) and I got impatient!! + I've got one of those little soltek qbics so lower heat is better.

If you don't want to pay as much as this then there are 2600's (not sure on reliability though) from ebay international sellers, or there is this 2400:
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/prod...products_id=464
£62 from cpu city. It's a good price with good reviews from a good, reliable, english! seller. btw: This is the only XP-M I can find from a reliable UK shop (except overclockers, but they're selling pretty duff ones apparently).

In retrospect I should have got this one and saved myself £20. Ah well, it's done now.

...Still :D though!

edit: I came to the decision to just buy this chip sooner rather than later as it's getting harder and harder to get hold of atm. And I got bored of trying to find the best deals, I mean how many hours should you spend trying to save £5-£10 or so???

Back