A Question of Legality...

kaprikawn

Very Active Member
Website
kaprikawn.wordpress.com
I've just got a couple of questions about the legality of some of the things I want to do with the Pandora. It's just out of interest really.

Now I would love to play some American PS1 games that were never released over here, Chrono Cross being a prime example. To do this I assume I would need an NTSC boot rom or whatever it's called. Would I be right in thinking it would be illegal to download one of these without owning an American PS1? I do have a UK PS1 (it's somewhere around here anyway, I think the laser is fried, but I definately own one :D ). And I would intend on buying a legit copy of the American PS1 games to rip, I wouldn't be torrenting them or anything. It's the use of the NTSC boot thingy that I'm asking about.

Also, I know a lot of work is being done on the Quake games. I've brought the Quake pack via Steam so I don't have a physical disc of any of the Quake games I can rip, but I do legally own the game. Would it be legal for me to download the game from a more dubious source for use on my Pandora? And if not, as an aside, is there a way of transferring the version I have installed on my computer via Steam for use on the Pandora (without having a degree in computer science)?

In case it matters I'm in the UK by the way.

A lot of emulators (including the one we're getting, I believe) are able to simulate a BIOS so you don't have to illegally download one. It's not as compatible, but it usually works just fine.

kaprikawn said:
I've brought the Quake pack via Steam so I don't have a physical disc of any of the Quake games I can rip, but I do legally own the game.
You'll be fine. Generally for the id games (Doom, Quake) you just copy over a few files from your computer to your Pandora. For Quake I think it's pak0.pak and pak1.pak, but I'm not sure. In any case, there will be better instructions when the time comes, and you should have everything you need already.

However it IS still illegal! even if you own the original.

If you read the terms and conditions on pretty much any media CD,DVD, Game etc when you agree to abide in them by purchasing the game it says you agree not to change the format in which the content is stored.

They are hoping to change it as the below states but for now if you format shift and live in the UK it is illegal! Ridiculous but illegal. The Gowers report which reccomended format shifting be made legal was published in 2006 statement on it below.

"The Gowers report does contain the strange caveat that such an exception would only count "for works published after the date that the law comes into effect," which seems to indicate that ripping will remain illegal for all previous CD purchases. This is in line with the recommendation that IP rights not be changed retroactively, but it's still an odd decision; in the name of consistency, will every Brit who rips an Oasis CD remain a criminal?"

It's illegal in the UK to rip a CD produced before 2006? Ridiculous.

kaprikawn said:
(...) is there a way of transferring the version I have installed on my computer via Steam for use on the Pandora (without having a degree in computer science)?
It will be easier than eating a cookie. :wink:

Technically speaking, copying any copyrighted work without permission is illegal. You usually have permission to install games on one PC and copying for backup purposes, for example, but ripping a PSX game, or downloading it even if you own a hard copy, or copying content files from Quake are all technically illegal.

Ethical? That's up to you. Personally I'll have my entire game collection on my Pandora, nothing more, and nothing less.

stupot said:
However it IS still illegal! even if you own the original.

If you read the terms and conditions on pretty much any media CD,DVD, Game etc when you agree to abide in them by purchasing the game it says you agree not to change the format in which the content is stored.

They are hoping to change it as the below states but for now if you format shift and live in the UK it is illegal! Ridiculous but illegal. The Gowers report which recomended format shifting be made legal was published in 2006 statement on it below.

"The Gowers report does contain the strange caveat that such an exception would only count "for works published after the date that the law comes into effect," which seems to indicate that ripping will remain illegal for all previous CD purchases. This is in line with the recommendation that IP rights not be changed retroactively, but it's still an odd decision; in the name of consistency, will every Brit who rips an Oasis CD remain a criminal?"

interesting... I don't know much about non-US copyright law, but from a US perspective... you can make 1 backup copy of whatever you own ("fair use"). There are cases also that have proven that EULAs are not enforceable (makes sense, contracts cannot override the law)

For Quake, I believe the engine is free now, its just the level packs that are not, and there's another post about above me about the files you need to copy

Its kind of funny, I was thinking of emulating (not on the pandora) FFX international because it has some stuff that the US version didn't.

Actually the EULA being enforcable is irrelevant as it is against the law to format shift in the uk and to clarify Drack its illegal full stop pre 2006 and post! thats because the gower report is a reccomendation and that recommendation has not yet been acted upon...

stupot said:
will every Brit who rips an Oasis CD remain a criminal?"

LOL, surely it SHOULD be a criminal offence to reproduce an Oasis CD, even if they legalised copying and abolished copyright, you can`t have things like that being reproduced, somebody might accidentally be exposed to it and spend the rest of their life jiggling to inane lift music

hobbyman

Interesting. In Germany you allowed to make a copy of your stuff - as long as you don't use any special tools to override the copy protection.
You are even allowed to make private copies (i.e. copies from a close friend), but you need to be able to prove that you're friend, family, etc. has the original.

You are not allowed to do any copies of copy protected games or CDs of course.

hobbyman said:
stupot said:
will every Brit who rips an Oasis CD remain a criminal?"
LOL, surely it SHOULD be a criminal offence to reproduce an Oasis CD, even if they legalised copying and abolished copyright, you can`t have things like that being reproduced, somebody might accidentally be exposed to it and spend the rest of their life jiggling to inane lift music
{seriously offtopic -sorry] Does their new video remind anybody of anyone? The irony of Mancs idolising Liverpudlians. [/offtopic]

Anybody have any links to the UK CD ripping legality (a simple version)? I thought the 1 copy /personal use thing applied.

All the media players come bundled with ripping software, including from Sony mini-disc stuff going back a handful of years - and Sony are usually real careful about that sort of stuff.

TaG said:
Anybody have any links to the UK CD ripping legality (a simple version)? I thought the 1 copy /personal use thing applied.

All the media players come bundled with ripping software, including from Sony mini-disc stuff going back a handful of years - and Sony are usually real careful about that sort of stuff.

here is the relevant quote
"Computer programs
Computer programs and games for games consoles are protected on the same basis as literary works.

Conversion of a program into or between computer languages and codes corresponds to adapting a work. Storing any work in a computer amounts to copying the work. In addition, running a computer program or displaying work on a video display unit (VDU) will usually involve copying and thus require the consent of the copyright owner."

Its all on the official IPO site at http://www.ipo.gov.uk/copy/c-applies/c-compute.htm

An interesting one is TV programs so sky+ VCRs etc it IS legal to record for later use it is NOT legal however to record a tv series and archive it as a library item.

"A recording of a broadcast does not infringe copyright if it is made in your own home to watch later. For any other use you may need the permission for the rights holder, unless copyright exceptions apply.

A recording of a broadcast does not infringe copyright if it is made in your own home to watch later. For any other use you may need the permission for the rights holder, unless copyright exceptions apply."

Back