Use Id Pak Files From Steam

DasFool

Does anyone know if the steam versions of Id games (doom, quake, hexen, heretic, wolfenstein, etc.) contain the pak files that work with other versions of the games? Steam has the Id Super pack for pretty cheap right now and I'd like to know if I can pull asset files out of the games and use them later on the Pandora.

DasFool said:
Does anyone know if the steam versions of Id games (doom, quake, hexen, heretic, wolfenstein, etc.) contain the pak files that work with other versions of the games? Steam has the Id Super pack for pretty cheap right now and I'd like to know if I can pull asset files out of the games and use them later on the Pandora.

Just checked Quake 2, and it's all there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the quake pack 2 years ago, lemme check it out.
Edit: (ninja)mcx
(naw)mcx said:
DasFool said:

Just checked Quake 2, and it's all there.
Same results here, all PAKed up ;)

I was just considering this myself £12.89 for all that emulation, I've got copies of a few of the newer games that also come with some of the classics, but as an all in one bundle it's very good value despite missing a couple of games.

Thanks for the answers on the pak files, I was wondering the same about the wad files but this has been answered for me elsewhere on the internet.

If I wasn't currently broke the Id Value Pack would be an awesome buy (especially with Commander Keen). Lots of good deals on steam this holiday.

Steam definitly does change the format of it's resource files for some games, bu so far I believe they have only been Valve games.

Dead1nside said:
I was just considering this myself £12.89 for all that emulation, I've got copies of a few of the newer games that also come with some of the classics, but as an all in one bundle it's very good value despite missing a couple of games.
Thanks for the heads up. That offer was too good to pass up.. downloading now :D

BackAssward said:
Steam definitly does change the format of it's resource files for some games, bu so far I believe they have only been Valve games.

Nope, some lucasarts games have also been changed.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. I think I saw Quake 2 and Quake 3 running on the pandora. Can you play the other games (Hexen, Heretic, Wolfenstein, ...) when you have these pak files on the Pandora as well?

Pak files are the data files for the games: they contain the graphics and maps and stuff.
The question was whether the Pak files that you get when you buy the games off steam will work with the open source players that we have for the Pandora, or if tweaking is required. The answer is that yes, they do work, and no tweaking is required: buy the games off steam, copy the PAK files onto your SD card wherever it is that Quake looks for it's data files, and they will work.
Hexen, Heretic, and Wolfenstein are all different games that do not use the Quake(1,2,3) engines, so that's a completely different kettle of fish.

WizardStan said:
Hexen, Heretic, and Wolfenstein are all different games that do not use the Quake(1,2,3) engines, so that's a completely different kettle of fish.
It's pretty much the same kettle. The basic game engines for Doom 1 & 2, both Hexens, Heretic, and Wolfenstein 3D have all been open-sourced by ID/Raven. They've all been ported to the GP2X and/or Wiz, so Pandora ports are pretty much guaranteed. It is reasonable to assume that the Steam PAK files will work with those games as well.

as for quakeworld/quake1, buy quake1 any way you want and download the pak files with an "Index of" search. i hope this is legal on the server where this forum is hosted :)

EDIT: btw does the DOOM engine Skulltag have an ARM port?

Above it not legal anywhere worth considering...

Be careful about Quake from Steam. It does not include the soundtrack (essential atmosphere for Singleplayer). But then almost no engines currently support using ogg vorbis files as non-cd-audio solution yet.:(

Skulltag has no ARM port and is not open source, so it will not get a Pandora port. GZDoom could though, because the source is available.

Spirit said:

Be careful about Quake from Steam. It does not include the soundtrack (essential atmosphere for Singleplayer). But then almost no engines currently support using ogg vorbis files as non-cd-audio solution yet. :(
Maybe Quake doesn't have the sound track because it has something to do with Trent Reznor, he wrote the score for Quake. Interesting fact, Quake was the first time a popular artist did music for a game, now it's done all the time.

second exodous said:
Spirit said:

Be careful about Quake from Steam. It does not include the soundtrack (essential atmosphere for Singleplayer). But then almost no engines currently support using ogg vorbis files as non-cd-audio solution yet. :(
Maybe Quake doesn't have the sound track because it has something to do with Trent Reznor, he wrote the score for Quake. Interesting fact, Quake was the first time a popular artist did music for a game, now it's done all the time.
No, it does not have it because it would have been an extra effort for id to implement a cd audio emulation. Their "digital" releases are cheap ones, understandable but sad.

Spirit said:
second exodous said:
Spirit said:

No, it does not have it because it would have been an extra effort for id to implement a cd audio emulation. Their "digital" releases are cheap ones, understandable but sad.
Odd. . . So how would you implement sound on Pandora Quake if you have the music? I have the CD version with music, I always rip the music to my library.

Back