Buy Nearly All Id Games For Only £18.99 Off Steam

Barnaby

Website
Visit site
Steam's got a big sale on, and I noticed the id Super Pack has 50% off right now. I checked Quake 1 and Hexen II, and they come with the PAK files, so you should be able to run them on the Pandora. The full list of games it comes with is here:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/

So if anyone doesn't have the id games but want them for their Pandora, now's the perfect time to get them! I just bought it, now all I have to do is wait for my Pandora :)

Yaaay 100th post. Finally after 5 years XD

I wish they'd offer that sort of thing outside of Steam. Even at that price it's overpriced if they can decide later to take it all back. Personally, I preferred the way that Popcap did there recent all you can eat event. Sure it was still DRM, but once you install it they can't yank if back if they decide you've broken the agreement.

hedwards said:
I wish they'd offer that sort of thing outside of Steam. Even at that price it's overpriced if they can decide later to take it all back. Personally, I preferred the way that Popcap did there recent all you can eat event. Sure it was still DRM, but once you install it they can't yank if back if they decide you've broken the agreement.

quakes, doom1 &2, hexen+heretic are opensource now, the pak file are DRM free... you're free to backup the pak and use some (better?) opensource engine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Elwing said:
hedwards said:

quakes, doom1 &2, hexen+heretic are opensource now, the pak file are DRM free... you're free to backup the pak and use some (better?) opensource engine...
Honestly, that's not something which occurred to me. Perhaps I'll reconsider. While I own, Quake, Doom and Doom2. I don't own Hexen or Heretic, and at £18.99 , I'm sure it's probably a good deal even if something does happen to bork the account.

Yeah with these games you can backup the BAK files. Also with Steam, the files are installed on the PC so I think there might be a way you can play them without using the Steam platform, at least for some games. For £18.99 this was a good deal for me since I owned none of the games on the list, and I really wanted Quake III for when I get my Pandora. Since it comes with all the files that are on the original disc, you can back them up and run them on the Pandora easily :)

tsh said:
does it need a PC?

The steam client can be installed in Wine (with winetricks) and since all I'm going for is the data files (and the dos games for dosbox) this is a great deal for legally purchasing them.

davidgro said:
tsh said:
does it need a PC?

The steam client can be installed in Wine (with winetricks) and since all I'm going for is the data files (and the dos games for dosbox) this is a great deal for legally purchasing them.
That's what changed my mind about getting it. I own a few of the games, but you do get quite a bit for the money.

old games ,hmm is everyone here not for the future of gaming ? i don't care if the pandora can do say q3 at 100fps with every effect on ,it would be nice but i had my day in the arena on the dreamcast ,what about new games development from the non company types ,i want to see graphics engines and i want to see the pandora pushed to the limits ,not just emulators and old school games from the dos ages.

Music creation software
Graphics creation software
3d enviroment creation software
Original ideas and stories can all be done on the pandora if WE make it happen.

tsh said:
does it need a PC?

Isn't a Mac a Personal Computer?
Doesn't Linux run on a Personal Computer?
Hell my Tandy Color Computer says it's Personal Computer...

Oh my bad I guess it's only a Personal Computer if it's running a Microsoft operating system...

Sorry biggest gripe about the term PC

paddy said:
old games ,hmm is everyone here not for the future of gaming ? i don't care if the pandora can do say q3 at 100fps with every effect on ,it would be nice but i had my day in the arena on the dreamcast ,what about new games development from the non company types ,i want to see graphics engines and i want to see the pandora pushed to the limits ,not just emulators and old school games from the dos ages.

Music creation software

I think everyone wants that too. But it's also awesome to emulate all stuff and have your whole collection in one handheld device with proper gaming controls. I'm sure we'll see some good homebrew emerge in the next few months/years. I'm interested in making a game myself - I don't have any coding knowledge but I can use 3DS Max. My friend is going to learn some coding, so we might make something at some point. And once I'm better at 3D Modelling I'll freelance if anyone's looking for graphics artists.

The community WILL make it happen. Until then, we have a ton of emulators and old PC games to play :D

TrashyMG said:
Isn't a Mac a Personal Computer?
Doesn't Linux run on a Personal Computer?
Hell my Tandy Color Computer says it's Personal Computer...

Oh my bad I guess it's only a Personal Computer if it's running a Microsoft operating system...

Sorry biggest gripe about the term PC
That's probably Apple's fault...

Damn, I'd love to get this pack but I can't buy it in Germany, probably because Quake is on the official state censorship list of games that are bad for children... Oh well, I got a few other great deals. Introversion collection for 5€! Even though the only game I still needed from it is Uplink, it's still a great deal! (It's the third license of Multiwinia I own...) Gonna get it for a few friends as well, I guess. Everybody needs to have Multiwinia and Defcon for multiplayer. :)

note: the id-package isn't available in all countrys (e.g. germany,because it includes quake..)

... using a proxy helps out :)

It doesn't for me. With my Swedish IP, I can add that stuff to my shopping basket but I can't buy it because it then realizes that I entered a German address for my Paypal or credit card.

OrR said:
It doesn't for me. With my Swedish IP, I can add that stuff to my shopping basket but I can't buy it because it then realizes that I entered a German address for my Paypal or credit card.

Pay someone you know in a different country to gift it to you?

You British only have to pay $19!? That page shows me prices in euro....35 euro to be exact. That's almost 29 pound. Deal or not, that's just not right :angry:

Oh and some of the prices are simply outrages considering the age of some games.

Zotty said:
You British only have to pay $19!? That page shows me prices in euro....35 euro to be exact. That's almost 29 pound. Deal or not, that's just not right :angry:

35 USD here.
(Plus sales tax because Valve is in my state :-/ )

paddy said:

Music creation software
I'm not personally opposed to new games, I've seen a few that are pretty amazing. Both Assassin's Creed games, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Prototype for example are all great games that are recently created as well. The problem is that newer games frequently come with extreme DRM, extreme annoyances and tend to award bad behavior. I'd love to buy a copy of Starcraft II and Diablo III for instance, but given the DRM that Blizzard's threatening us with, I'm going to take a pass on those games. Which is a real shame given that they look pretty ridiculously amazing.

Back