Buy Nearly All Id Games For Only £18.99 Off Steam

hedwards said:
paddy said:
old games ,hmm is everyone here not for the future of gaming ? i don't care if the pandora can do say q3 at 100fps with every effect on ,it would be nice but i had my day in the arena on the dreamcast ,what about new games development from the non company types ,i want to see graphics engines and i want to see the pandora pushed to the limits ,not just emulators and old school games from the dos ages.

Music creation software
Graphics creation software
3d enviroment creation software
Original ideas and stories can all be done on the pandora if WE make it happen.
I'm not personally opposed to new games, I've seen a few that are pretty amazing. Both Assassin's Creed games, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Prototype for example are all great games that are recently created as well. The problem is that newer games frequently come with extreme DRM, extreme annoyances and tend to award bad behavior. I'd love to buy a copy of Starcraft II and Diablo III for instance, but given the DRM that Blizzard's threatening us with, I'm going to take a pass on those games. Which is a real shame given that they look pretty ridiculously amazing.

I think Paddy was talking more about new games on the Pandora, games made specifially for it. Which to be honest, I'm also dying for. I want to see some hombrew in 3D, so we can see what the Pandora can do. But yeah new games on other formats are still awesome, but DRM sucks and games today cost way too much (how come games last gen were like £25 - £30 on release and now they're £40 - £50?).

Last edited by a moderator:
eeekubuntu said:
Dudes, why pay for abandonware?
Because, in the US at least, abandonware isn't a legally recognized concept. And indeed for it to even be considered abandonware, it has to be completely unavailable for purchase. It would have to either be put into the public domain manually or would have to time out of copyright protection, which for the US, would likely never happen as each time materials get close to being public domain, our congress critters go and extend the protection term. Right now for a work to be in the public domain it would have to be published something like 80 years ago or more.

Ic, im glad i dont live there.. as long as you dont make pirated software a profit over here the goverment dosnt give a shit. I meen C64, Amiga, and old PC releses wont ever make it back again, there's no monney in it, the only ones intrested is us retro fans who plesure playing our youth back.

eeekubuntu said:
Ic, im glad i dont live there.. as long as you dont make pirated software a profit over here the goverment dosnt give a shit. I meen C64, Amiga, and old PC releses wont ever make it back again, there's no monney in it, the only ones intrested is us retro fans who plesure playing our youth back.
I don't disagree with you. Personally, I'd like them either put into the public domain or sold at a discount clearing house so that they'd be at least available to future generations. I remember playing around with games off the Atari 2600, NES, Gameboy, Game Gear, an obscure platform wizard set top, a bit with the C64 and a few arcade games like the Super Mario Brothers with the skateboarding dude.

hedwards said:
eeekubuntu said:
I don't disagree with you. Personally, I'd like them either put into the public domain or sold at a discount clearing house so that they'd be at least available to future generations. I remember playing around with games off the Atari 2600, NES, Gameboy, Game Gear, an obscure platform wizard set top, a bit with the C64 and a few arcade games like the Super Mario Brothers with the skateboarding dude.

:D , the only nice things with owning original abandonware is to place it on a shelf for display, otherwise piratebay is your new store :p

I bought that pack around Christmas.

All the games files can be used when running an emulator as well. So I can legally emulate Doom for my Wiz, or play Quake 3 on my (soon to arrive) Pandora.

hedwards said:
Because, in the US at least, abandonware isn't a legally recognized concept. And indeed for it to even be considered abandonware, it has to be completely unavailable for purchase.

I believe no modern law system recognizes abandonware. It's rather practical than legal state of software: On one hand I feel OK with my conscience to use freely abandoned stuff and on the other one one will take any legal actions against me (because the software is abandoned).
One can argue at which point game becomes abandoned. Is it enough if there's no mass distributor? Or if some guy offers one piece on his booth somewhere deep in Siberia then it's disqualified as abandonware? There's no simple answer available.

eeekubuntu said:

I understand where you're coming from, but the fact that these games are being sold on Steam right now means you can't really call them "abandonware".

paddy said:
old games ,hmm is everyone here not for the future of gaming ? i don't care if the pandora can do say q3 at 100fps with every effect on ,it would be nice but i had my day in the arena on the dreamcast ,what about new games development from the non company types ,i want to see graphics engines and i want to see the pandora pushed to the limits ,not just emulators and old school games from the dos ages.

Music creation software

Well get on and make all that software then! ;)

Steve

Morn said:
hedwards said:
Because, in the US at least, abandonware isn't a legally recognized concept. And indeed for it to even be considered abandonware, it has to be completely unavailable for purchase.

I believe no modern law system recognizes abandonware. It's rather practical than legal state of software: On one hand I feel OK with my conscience to use freely abandoned stuff and on the other one one will take any legal actions against me (because the software is abandoned).
One can argue at which point game becomes abandoned. Is it enough if there's no mass distributor? Or if some guy offers one piece on his booth somewhere deep in Siberia then it's disqualified as abandonware? There's no simple answer available.
I think it's more a practical matter of "is there anybody around to sue me for infringing" than anything else. It's unfortunate that the ESA tends to say no to this sort of thing, but fails to actually do anything constructive. Software being pretty much completely non-physical in nature is only worth what it's selling for. If they don't offer it for sale, it's hard to say that it's actually worth anything at all.

I'm fine if they want to sell ancient software, but it's more than a little dickish to refuse to sell mass market software and then crack down on hobbyists trading in it.

The fact that these games are still being sold for hard cash, clearly states that they're not abandonware. The source code of some games has been made public, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are free. It's a common misconception that things which are open source, are also free. Open source is not freeware.

eeekubuntu said:
Dude, why not pay for good software if it's sold for a fair price and the original developers profit from it? :huh:

Barnaby said:
OrR said:
It doesn't for me. With my Swedish IP, I can add that stuff to my shopping basket but I can't buy it because it then realizes that I entered a German address for my Paypal or credit card.

Pay someone you know in a different country to gift it to you?
Might be an idea. I kind of wonder what would happen... Maybe I'm going to try that. Will report back in case I do.

Barnaby, Thank you. I would have never noticed that sale. The only game I had paks for was the original Quake, and I was considering putting forth the money to buy these games off of Steam, but hadn't yet because I was hoping for a Steam sale like this. ^_^

paddy said:

Music creation software

Oh sure, I would love to see all of that on my Pandora, but one of the big reasons I got my Pandora was to be able to experience the old games I know and love in handheld form. You may not like older games, but that doesn't mean that others don't, and I hardly think that you should go around lobbying against people enjoying them on the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Barnaby, Thank you. I would have never noticed that sale. The only game I had paks for was the original Quake, and I was considering putting forth the money to buy these games off of Steam, but hadn't yet because I was hoping for a Steam sale like this. ^_^

No problem :). When I saw this I figured someone around here would appreciate it - it's every id game you can run on the Pandora for pretty damn cheap, so I thought it was a great deal. Personally I mostly bought it for Quake III, but it's awesome having all these other games as well. I'm going to have so many games to play once I get the Pandora I won't even know where to start now.

Barnaby said:
God Ginrai said:

No problem :) . When I saw this I figured someone around here would appreciate it - it's every id game you can run on the Pandora for pretty damn cheap, so I thought it was a great deal. Personally I mostly bought it for Quake III, but it's awesome having all these other games as well. I'm going to have so many games to play once I get the Pandora I won't even know where to start now.
Yup, thanks Barnaby - my plastic friend has been once again flexed in the direction of Steam!

I bought that pack and I can confirm that you can freely use the pak file with other engines, I'm using doomsday instead of the (bad?) legacy engine that runs using dosbox sold with the bundle. It seems quite a good deal to have legally quake 1,2 &3 + expansions, doom 1 +2 + expansions, wolfenstein 3d + expansion, heretic, hexen, hexen2 and commander keen for the pandora... and as a bonus for your PC you also have return to castle wolfenstein + doom3 + expansion.

So what games from this pack can currently run on the Pandora?

What games are we hopeful to see run on the Pandora in the future?

musicalwoods said:
So what games from this pack can currently run on the Pandora?

What games are we hopeful to see run on the Pandora in the future?

not sure, we've seen quake1,2 &3 + hexen & heretic, but there's opensource wolfenstein, keen commander, doom1 &2 engines, so all games of the pack except doom3 (still closed source) and return to castle wolfenstein (closed source too) could run on the pandora...

Back