Buy Nearly All Id Games For Only £18.99 Off Steam

Be aware that the versions you get from Steam do not include CD audio. Quake for example has an amazing and atmospheric soundtrack that adds a lot to the game.

Elwing said:
musicalwoods said:
So what games from this pack can currently run on the Pandora?

What games are we hopeful to see run on the Pandora in the future?

not sure, we've seen quake1,2 &3 + hexen & heretic, but there's opensource wolfenstein, keen commander, doom1 &2 engines, so all games of the pack except doom3 (still closed source) and return to castle wolfenstein (closed source too) could run on the pandora...
I was briefly looking into doomsday, which covers Doom, Doom II, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, heretic and hexen, but I suspect that it's not going to work. It looks good, in that the sound and interface components should all work, but I'm having a hard time finding information about mesa3d on the OMAP architecture. I know there are alternatives, I just have a feeling that it's not as simple as dropping in something like Vincent for that stuff.

It does look like there's been some work on getting mesa3d running and optimized for Angstrom, but I'm not sure how far that's progressed if at all. It does look like a relatively recent effort so it might be possible to use it for at least the Doom and Heretic range of games.

EDIT: And Spirit, you are unfortunately correct about the steam version. Which is a shame given how much that aspect contributes to the quality of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect they didn't include the music because of the way it was originally implemented. I believe the first track on the CD was a data track and the other tracks contained the CD audio so it could be played like a music CD while the game was played, so I'm guessing it was too difficult to get this to work on modern machines without messing around with virtual drives. Well the soundtracks are out there and whatever your view on copyright may be my view on this is that I bought the damn game and the music should come with it. Whatever, ask Trent Reznor what he thinks about you acquiring his soundtrack.

The Yamagi Quake 2 engine will let you play the soundtrack in ogg format if placed in baseq2/music and labeled 02.ogg-12.ogg. Which reminds me, how difficult would it be to port over these existing alternative engines? Could the vanilla ports help or would they have to be ported from scratch for OpenGL ES?

Spirit said:
femngi said:
I doubt the Quake Soundtrack is Trent Reznor's property. Nor NIN's. But id Software's.
It's pedantic to point out but Reznor is NIN. I am not a lawyer but it seems I could make the case that Valve misrepresented the contents of the game. Since there's a couple of threads on the official steam forums with rapidshare links to the soundtracks it would seem that all this is entirely academic and no-one gives a damn.

femngi said:
It's pedantic to point out but Reznor is NIN. I am not a lawyer but it seems I could make the case that Valve misrepresented the contents of the game. Since there's a couple of threads on the official steam forums with rapidshare links to the soundtracks it would seem that all this is entirely academic and no-one gives a damn.
You could make that case, however since the soundtrack belongs to iD software, they'd be the ones to decide what is and is not included. The soundtrack itself was almost certainly done as a work for hire, meaning that it probably doesn't matter at all what Reznor or NIN for that matter want.

And barring a specific statement from iD that it's OK, it's still infringement and they can act on it if they wish to.

hedwards said:
femngi said:
You could make that case, however since the soundtrack belongs to iD software, they'd be the ones to decide what is and is not included. The soundtrack itself was almost certainly done as a work for hire, meaning that it probably doesn't matter at all what Reznor or NIN for that matter want.

And barring a specific statement from iD that it's OK, it's still infringement and they can act on it if they wish to.

since there's not a single notice where they mantion that the music are striped and since they even have credits in the manual I'm rather being the one spoiled, through downloading em might still be considered as an infringement...

I just paid $70 for this pack two weeks ago.

Please excuse me while I go mumble in a corner.

Elwing said:
since there's not a single notice where they mantion that the music are striped and since they even have credits in the manual I'm rather being the one spoiled, through downloading em might still be considered as an infringement...
It's still infringement, although having paid for the game without having been warned that it wasn't included, you probably would be able to pull an innocent infringement defense on it, although now that it's been discussed, probably not.

I've got a copy of the original CD from it, I wonder how I'd go about adding that music to the game.

Thanks Barnaby for the heads up, $38 something (WA forces taxes for online purchases) was pretty reasonable. And thanks to the rest of you for the information, to confirm it was worth the money.

hedwards said:
I've got a copy of the original CD from it, I wonder how I'd go about adding that music to the game.

Most of the popular open source engines include support for ogg soundtracks. I recommend copying the .pak files out of Steam\steamapps\common\ and running them in Darkplaces, Yamagiq2, ioquake3, Hammer of Thyrion etc.

Back