A review of the Pandora's sound and music capability.

Creative Headset @ Home = Awesome sound...

On the go = Pair of Sennheiser Earphones ;D

What shall I say, Pandora rules all my other Audio devices easily... and that means a whole lot... cause one of those devices is a Sansa Fuze + Rockbox... pretty much the best you can get for mobile audio.

Good to hear that, lol. Guess I'll have no problems using my Woody Grado SR-325i's with them, then. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear that, lol. Guess I'll have no problems using my Woody Grado SR-325i's with them, then. B)

It'll be great with the Grado's as they are easy to drive. I am currently listening to my Pandora with my girlfriends Allesandro MS1's (Grado labs) reputedly similar to the Grado SR125 in sound signature and they sound great if maybe a little bass shy, nothing judicious use of Audacious' EQ can't sort out. Going back to koss porta pros after the Allesandros it's surprising how much detail is lacking in the porta pros. There is a lot more warmth and bass in the porta pros but at the cost of detail. Both very nice sounds though and both driven really well by the Pandora.

Great review and thanks for reminding me to test the audio jack :p

I've just tested my cheapo HD201 and it sounds wonderful :D

Glad to hear that the Pandora can drive 600 Ohm AKG headphones. B) I have an AKG K141 Monitor (older) and a K240 DF and I'm looking forward to test them with my future Pandora.

Another question: Are there any recommendations for microphones? AFAIK cheap all-in-one headsets use capacitor mics which are powered by a small voltage sound cards usually offer on their mic input connector. But according to several people this is not optimal if you want to use dynamic pa/stage microphones, for example... So for which kind of microphones has the Pandora been optimized?

I'm a bit of an audiophile so I'm glad to hear that the Pandora has good sound quality. What DAC (Digital Analog Converter) does the Pandora use? It seems to have more forward mids and better instrument separation than my laptop's Realtek integrated sound when using my Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones

Will usb host mode allow me to use my iBasso D2+ Boa as the main dac/amp?

@MWeston what dac chip is this using?

If you have a look at post no. 18 in this thread Torpor says they are Burr_brown.

Further up the page MWeston talks about the actual specs for some of the audio side.

I didn't know if that was the actual dac chip or just an amp chip...sorry

Now my question is does the Burr_brown have any advantages over the Wolfson WM8740

I did know if that was the actual dac chip or just an amp chip...sorry

Now my question is does the Burr_brown have any advantages over the Wolfson WM8740

1. No crazy numbering scheme.

2. Sounds like the name of a cowboy.

If you have a look at post no. 18 in this thread Torpor says they are Burr_brown.

Further up the page MWeston talks about the actual specs for some of the audio side.
Burr Brown isn't a DAC, its a company that makes DACs. What model of Burr Brown DACs the Pandora uses is still a mystery.

Back