A Second Batcher has second thoughts...

craigix said:
It was strange, we really didn't know what would happen. But when someone found and posted the link to the sales page before the newsletter went out and the forum started to grind to a halt and I was unable to FTP in to the server we suspected it was going to go crazy, and it did.

I managed to get a post on there with the URLs but there had already been about 100 orders at that point (within 60-120 seconds).

I got a pizza to celebrate - then was unable to enjoy it due to nerves and trying to get everything working on the site again.

But it is great to know people understood what we were trying to do with the Pandora design and idea - and believed in it enough to put their money down.

We are looking forward to showing you more videos of what is happening soon - the first one will probably be the very first MK2 (production) PCBs.

Sounds chaotically fun. I'm surprised, and glad, to know that there are no debts. Congratulations on that feat. I'm so glad that the Pandora has made it this far, and I'm glad that I will have Red Alert 3 and Sonic Chronicles to keep me busy until my Pandora finally arrives on my doorstep. ;)

-God Ginrai

I'm guilty for posting the german link, though I can't imagine that doing so much damage..

Anyway, I'm glad it all went so well and that you guys are selling out like crazy. I don't regret being one of the first to preorder one bit, though. It was sooo much fun to be there in the community everyone being happy and cheering about just getting their preorders :D

@ Kyosys
Ooo yeah, that was excitring! A bit like when you bid on something you really really want on ebay and there are other people bidding at the same time, but at the end, you get it. What a relief!

Allright... you guys have your way; I just put in my order. :) I'm a first batch convert!

If it's close to on time and a fantastic product, I'll see if I can whip up some nifty homebrew before the new year... :)

Kyosys said:
I'm guilty for posting the german link, though I can't imagine that doing so much damage..

Anyway, I'm glad it all went so well and that you guys are selling out like crazy. I don't regret being one of the first to preorder one bit, though. It was sooo much fun to be there in the community everyone being happy and cheering about just getting their preorders :D

Yeah i was there when that happened. :) That was crazy, needed a lie down after it tho! :D
I don't regret pre-ordering one bit either. I think that the intense interest and general craziness is testament to the good spirit behind the scene, i can see the Pandora rekindling the Amiga glory days! I hope we get some amazing scene demos made for it, as well as a plethora of brilliant homebrew apps an games. An i've got to say congratulations and a big thank you to Craig, Ed and all the team, for delivering everything the community has been asking for in one little box! Thank you! :)

mikedanick said:
i preordered my pandora on 09/30 also, i wanted to be a part of the first bunch also. i've been watching the project grow and come alive too, and can't wait to get my little pandora hopefully in november.

i wish that the units came with some sort of numbering to show folks that our first batch units were the ones that got things rolling, like a ???? of ???? numbering scheme to show that the units are like a special first batch / initial launch edition. perhaps throwing in a little card or something into the packages before they go out, that would be good enough for me along with the signatures of craigx and the rest of the dev bunch that worked on the pandora project (similar to the amiga 1000 inside case).

just a thought, but either way, still looking very much forward to getting my unit.

thanks craigx and company!

I agree, some sort of certificate with a number out of however many were in the first batch, with dev signatures and such would be nice. I personally liked how GPH printed "First edition" on the first batch of GP2X's, and would love to see something special printed on the Pandora to indicate it is from the first batch. ("Craiginator" or "Don't Panic" get my vote) However, I'm not sure of the feasability of this option, I vaguely remember some talk about it after the GP2X came out and about how it was bad for GPH to do that, but I don't remember why they said it was a bad decision.

EDIT: I have no idea how my post showed up before this guy's post. Or maybe it only looks like that to me. o_ô

-God Ginrai

i preordered my pandora on 09/30 also, i wanted to be a part of the first bunch also. i've been watching the project grow and come alive too, and can't wait to get my little pandora hopefully in november.

i wish that the units came with some sort of numbering to show folks that our first batch units were the ones that got things rolling, like a ???? of ???? numbering scheme to show that the units are like a special first batch / initial launch edition. perhaps throwing in a little card or something into the packages before they go out, that would be good enough for me along with the signatures of craigx and the rest of the dev bunch that worked on the pandora project (similar to the amiga 1000 inside case).

just a thought, but either way, still looking very much forward to getting my unit.

mikedanick said:

+1.
I would love to have something to show for getting up at 5:30AM to preorder :] I was really on the edge about preordering, because, being a college student, money is kind of tight. Oh well I figure it'll be my birthday present to myself.

craigix said:
We will be showing you complete, working, playable, cased Pandora machines this month.

Previously it was just too expensive to prototype ALL the parts, instead we put the money towards perfecting the PCB and having things like the custom analogue nubs made.

It might seem crazy, but those nubs alone cost $30,000 in R&D - they HAD to be done first.

It all seems a bit backwards but we knew this way it would succeed - too many start ups go bust doing it the other way around - ie flashy promo videos with $20,000 prototype units, expensive flash based websites, huge HQ and cars etc.

We have no debts and everything is going very smooth and under control (well, apart from getting WAY more orders than expected in the first 6 hours!)

-Craig

That's amazing to hear :D I wish you all the best with it, and I am very eagerly awaiting mine.
$30k, though, wow! They need more youtube time I think! :lol:

Ok, I give up.

I was in the same situation as the OP and I couldn't resist. Pre-order placed, with a 32GB SDHC. Are they Sandisk? I hope they are (the picture is very clear).

gorman said:
Ok, I give up.

I was in the same situation as the OP and I couldn't resist. Pre-order placed, with a 32GB SDHC. Are they Sandisk? I hope they are (the picture is very clear).
Sandisk is actually one of the lower quality SD card manufacturers. PNY, Kingston in some cases, and PQI often provide more high quality, high throughput flash memory. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way, though.

AireTamStorm said:
Sandisk is actually one of the lower quality SD card manufacturers. PNY, Kingston in some cases, and PQI often provide more high quality, high throughput flash memory.

This is exactly backwards. Panasonic and Sandisk are the only two "top grade" SD manufactures. If you are a professional and you can afford the best, you buy one of those two. They are the fastest and most reliable.

If nothing else, SanDisk is at least the most recognized. I can't count how many times I hear another brand of SD card, or even another type of flash altogether referred to as "a SanDisk." Or, god forbid, "a Scan Disk." :wacko:

Kyosys said:
Kingston is high quality as well.

That's what I've heard. But, it is second-tier. So the quality is still slightly less than that of a SanDisk or Panasonic card.

-God Ginrai

Back