Release Advent Calendar

The SPACE check is in the ReadMe... Does anybody ever read these (I know I don't!)
I do for some things, but I have not looked at it for this.  Usually if I have problems I will check that or do a search, but I didn't even look for a readme.  Actually, the problems here aren't problems since using that feature too often would take away from the fun for me.  It will help me to identify how I am making mistakes, and later on I hope to not use space.

I try to place pieces where it was nearly impossible to make mistakes/obvious when you have as other pieces don't fit (I try to make some obscure shapes, but always surround them with very simple/obvious straight pieces) - especially around white areas where peices can be very ambiguous. Of course, you can deliberately place pieces in stupid places, but that won't win the puzzle and could make the picture look odd, so it's apparent when there's a mistake.

Although I do create the puzzle pieces, the game doesn't actually use the peices/chains for checking completion - it uses the colours you've painted. As long as all the colours are in the right place, it doesn't care how you drew them (obviously you do have to follow the number rules though).

This is why I create the puzzles manually, rather than coding the program to work out puzzle pieces. Besides that would probably take longer in the short term to code than for me to create the puzzles.

My wife managed to do the same - puzzle looked complete but was still unsolved.

Yep, same here with the Windows version on the 1st one. But on 2nd try it worked...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 1 had the issue for me as well.

I was thinking about trying again today, but I guess I will wait now :)  

If you think youve finished, but the game doesn't it's most likely that you've missed some numbers (look for the light grey ones - they can blend in to the background a bit too easily). The SPACE check helps in such situations. :)

Will give it another try then. BTW. Issue with my Rebirth (black screen) was indeed solved by installing the default SGX driver.  

Of course, you can deliberately place pieces in stupid places, but that won't win the puzzle and could make the picture look odd, so it's apparent when there's a mistake.
I probably put pieces in stupid places.  They aren't always so obvious to me.  I also have trouble with some CAPTCHA type things...

As long as all the colours are in the right place, it doesn't care how you drew them
Good to know.

My wife managed to do the same - puzzle looked complete but was still unsolved.
Yep, same here with the Windows version on the 1st one. But on 2nd try it worked...
Yes, 1 had the issue for me as well.
Of the four times I "completed" puzzles only once did it get recognised as complete.  I think I know what I messed up on the snowperson.  iprice's tip will probably help me get the hang of it.

Snowman (no 1) looks perfectly fine to me, spacebar is not revealing anything and I was checking the picture until my eyeballs were bleeding. I have no idea what I could have done wrong.  

Time to quit now ;)  

if it is a simple change how difficult would it be for you to put it back and update it on the repo?

my eyeballs were bleeding.
I think you have more severe problems than not being able to complete the puzzle.

I wish I'd left the save game in now - so that I could identify the issue :(
Yes, that would certainly have helped a lot. You cou also make it a system log file without the save state functionality if you prefer and it might save you some time. 

No problem though, I just recovered from the subconjunctival hemorrhage so I can try again later this evening ;)

In minimenu I did try hitting Y to see the readme, but links gave me a "no such file or directory" on /mnt/utmp/PixeLink_Christmas/readme.txt

I tried again the first puzzle now that I know the space key trick, but panning around with the stylus on the miniature image actually erased some of the connections I had made (I saw parts of the image disappear while panning around with the stylus). So I still did not get to finish the 1st picture :(

This is an awesome idea!!! I wish I knew about it earlier but I will definitely add it to my Pandora :) Next year I will be better prepared, but it will be with my Pyra hehe

but panning around with the stylus on the miniature image actually erased some of the connections I had made (I saw parts of the image disappear while panning around with the stylus).
No way!? Seriously? That definitely shouldn't be happening. I'll have to check that when I get a minute. :(

"no such file or directory" on /mnt/utmp/PixeLink_Christmas/readme.txt
Ah, yeah... That may be because I forgot about Linux's case sensitivity - the file is ReadMe.txt.

I'll fix these and add saving back in in an update. Cheers chaps :)

Have to try this also on the Pandora, good to know this has been compiled for Pandora also.

I also remember erasing when scrolling around over the Mini map on the PC Version,

but I only recall it happening once and not what the circumstances where exactly.

I just noticed that lines where missing after searching around on the mini map...

OK. Updated

Changes -

- Save system back in - it autoloads the puzzle save file once and then DELETES it. You can have a save state for each puzzle :)

- Made SPACE help more obvious in-game (no longer small X's).

- ReadMe file can now actually be read!

- Mini-map fixed. Maybe? (I couldn't get it to remove pieces at all, so I can't tell)

Uploaded to repo - http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=PixeLink_Christmas_iprice

Hopefully this fixes all problems while causing no more!

With the save file back in, if people are really truly stuck (please use SPACE first) then save your progress and send me the "xmas_##.sav" file in the appdata folder so I can see what the problem is.

Thanks for the update!

When playing the game, the folder is /mnt/utmp/PixeLink_Christmas, but asking for the readme, the path is actually /mnt/utmp/PixeLink_Christmas_iprice/ReadMe.txt. But I read it directly via ssh this time ;) The minimap looks OK with stylus, though I use the cursor keys now

Anyway this time I got the first puzzle solved on first try (without even trying the new help system). With the 5th, same problem, I think there's no flashing when pressing space anywhere, but I hope someone can confirm this :p

Attachments

• xmas_5.sav.gz
    5.4 KB · Views: 114
I can read the ReadMe from the "Documentation" menu in Xfce, so it seems to be working properly there. I don't use mini-menu (and any linux stuff is waaaaaay over my knowledge base).

I've just had a look at your save file and yep, there's definitely something amiss. Sorry about that and thanks for feeding back - that sav file will really help :)

I'll hope to finally fix this and update tomorrow afternoon/evening - no time before, I'm afraid.

:)

Back