Advertising The Pandora

x86Daddy said:
A suggestion for further exposure: Sell some through ThinkGeek, just like the Wiz. ThinkGeek sends out a printed catalog / ad to its customers / people who've signed up. Those who don't necessarily follow the "right" news sources, but are general "geeks," are often exposed to available products through them... They're a pretty large vendor for that segment in the US... and a large exposure engine in that. I've personally bought several cool / weird products directly because they were carried by ThinkGeek and featured in their advertising, products I never would have heard of otherwise.
I didn't know they did printed catalogs. Catalogs like these are often read by multiple people so they are great exposure, anyone knows how many catalogs they send out?

darien said:
I think a product can greatly suffer in the initial launch period if there's not a lot to show for it. Don't think people should worry about the device being popular until the first enthusiasts get some show-worthy software and things going, at least enough to make joe regular feel satisfied enough that he doesn't go off knocking the device with negative testimonials.
I agree. And there shouldn't be much marketing before there are Pandoras available to meet demand anyway. I don't think OP will have a problem filling up the 2nd batch of preorders but most customers will not be so interested if they have to wait a couple of months.

SONY said:
Pandora is an awesome system though. Pandora is, imo perfect in every way, unlike the GP2X, which was flawed.
Which is why it will sell on it self, helped by OP sending out units for reviews. Reviews also have a much higher impact then ads. Ads are only useful for reaching people who are not exposed by the reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with advertising it is that it's going to be a long time until there's any actual 'stock' so to speak of.

The second batch is going to work pretty much like the first one. Weather there'll be 4000 people willing to wait 6 months (being told in advance that the wait will be 6 months!) remains to be seen. If there *isn't* then it will be interesting to see how the team deal with the situation. Perhaps they'll order 4000 anyway, then there will be some small stock for a while; but then I guess the stock will probably go pretty soon after they start shipping...

Awakening said:
SONY said:
Pandora is an awesome system though. Pandora is, imo perfect in every way, unlike the GP2X, which was flawed.
Which is why it will sell on it self, helped by OP sending out units for reviews. Reviews also have a much higher impact then ads. Ads are only useful for reaching people who are not exposed by the reviews

Ah, ok. You're right, awesome = practically sells itself

SONY said:
Awakening said:
SONY said:

Ah, ok. You're right, awesome = practically sells itself

unless of course you don't know what the crap it is...

Pleng said:
The problem with advertising it is that it's going to be a long time until there's any actual 'stock' so to speak of.

The second batch is going to work pretty much like the first one. Weather there'll be 4000 people willing to wait 6 months (being told in advance that the wait will be 6 months!) remains to be seen. If there *isn't* then it will be interesting to see how the team deal with the situation. Perhaps they'll order 4000 anyway, then there will be some small stock for a while; but then I guess the stock will probably go pretty soon after they start shipping...

I think that for a lot of people, just seeing the first batch produced will be enough incentive to wait the 6 months. I've got a friend who's waiting until the second batch for that reason. He wants to see mine, look it over, and know that they are being produced before jumping in.

It will be interesting to see what people say about the wait for the second batch, and even more interesting to see what ends up happening. My guess is that there will be at least a couple of parts that hold things up beyond the initial estimates. The major difference between the first and second batches however, will be that there will not be more hardware design going on (I hope =) so, that will be a major thing that people won't have to complain about. It should give second batch orderers a lot more confidence in OP.

Dead1nside said:
I think Linux Format UK would be a good reviewer, they've had reviews of both the GP2X and Wiz in the past.
Yes... Yes they have.

They also did a write-up on a different machine, and included both the GP2X and Pandora in a box-out that basically said that these things were previous Linux-based machines that had "failed to set the world on fire", if memory serves... :p

I'm reeaaallllly tempted to draw it in to the TV show I'm working on right now :p
It would be prefect timing too.. premiers in March. hahaha

I just can't wait for everyone to wonder what the crap i'm carrying around. "why are you carrying around a DS?" "this is no DS, let me introduce you to the pandora..."

Back