Am I The Only Person Who Thinks The Gp2x

timeslip posted on Sep 20 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
mr.mirko posted on Sep 20 2005 at 11:04 AM said:
Playable psx or N64 will NEVER happen. ( cpu too slow, no 3D )

Thats odd since im currently playing FF7 on my 200mhz axim x30 pocket pc which strangly enough doesnt have a 3D processor either - Unless somebody slipped one in while i wasnt looking

I hate it when that happens LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 11:20 AM said:
You may play it, but is it playable, hmmmm? I remember trying PSX-emu on my Matrox MG200, no 3D-card. It ran. Cloud was missing his head, and the game was little more than a slide-show...

But damn, Mr. Mirko's post really depresses me. :(

Mr Mirko, brilliant as a coder as he is, is still human. ;) What I mean, is that he sounds like he wants a PSP. And I think he should get one, because I really enjoy mine. Games like Burnout Legends are worth owning a PSP for IMO. Damn fun stuff.

But I still think Gp2X will prove itself as a great emu/homebrew platform. And maybe Mr.Mirko will be back after he gets a PSP. :p

Prophet posted on Sep 20 2005 at 11:22 AM said:
timeslip posted on Sep 20 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
Playable psx or N64 will NEVER happen.  ( cpu too slow, no 3D )

Thats odd since im currently playing FF7 on my 200mhz axim x30 pocket pc which strangly enough doesnt have a 3D processor either - Unless somebody slipped one in while i wasnt looking

Hehe. I know the emu you're using. It's f-ing amazing. It really blew my mind last year when I had my Asus PocketPC (now sold though). IIRC I was getting like 20-30 fps on Ridge Racer. All without 3D hardware! The only bad part was controls - the PocketPC controls are just awful.

And the author is interested in trying to port it to GP2X. :) I don't really have high expectations though, I think it would be a cool tech demo mostly. My main hope for GP2X is a good NeoGeo MVS/AES emulator and other 16bit platforms.

runs pretty damn nicely does ff7. Not sure if the emulator is open source or not.

The main problem with BIG PROJECTS like a psx emulator is not a matter of whether the hardware is up to the task but whether or not we`ll the calibre of coders needed for the task.

Its all a matter of numbers - Theres a hell of a lot more ppc out there than there will EVER be of gp32s and gp2xs.

The bigger the user base the more talent there is out there

I find it really a really strange post. I can understand someone questioning the added benfit you may get over the GP32, although I think the second they added SD they had me. I have mentioned the other benefits.

I find it stange that a post whos main concern in price and than mentions the PSP, the cost of PSP + Storage is far in excess of that of the GP2X. The MEMSTICK on the PSP costs 2X that of SD and works only with sony products.

I think the PSP is excellent, but I have no illutions that its cost is far greater than that of the GP2X.

I mean this thing is comparable in price to a PSP

Well, that's not really true, is it? I don't know where you live, but here in the UK a PSP will set you back £180 for the basic console, plus around £70 for a 1Gb memstick (unofficial of course), which adds up to around £250. A GP2X, at around £130 plus a 1Gb SD card for £30 comes to £160. That's a difference of £90! (trying not to sound like the shopping channel here :p).

Personally speaking I'm going to buy a PSP at some point (when the price comes down) because it's a fantastic machine, but not for homebrew. I want to put my money where my mouth is and support a community and a company that believes in open source and homebrew. I don't care if the PSP is more capable (which is negligible anyway) - I'm not going to fight Sony who seem intent on preventing homebrew.

Now, if the PSP were a GPH or Tapwave console, that would be a different matter...as it is, in my mind at least, it's a purely commercial console.

IMO the PSP is a double-edged sword. Before I knew about the GP2X, I wanted a PSP JUST for the emulation/homebrew purposes alone, but even then I was very hesitant due to the fact that Sony is CONSTANTLY releasing new firmwares to deture this kind of usage, which sucks.

Sure, you can keep it outdated and not be able to any of the new commercial games(and hey, IT IS Sony... not all the commercial games suck) or watch any UMD's or anything. Or then again you can upgrade and lose all your emu/homebrew ability. Like I said, double-edged sword.

"Oh but oh Mr. fritz what about the downgrader?"
Oh? You mean the downgrader that's been a work in progress for over 6 months now? The one that by time it gets finished, Sony will have released a new firmware that patches the old bug that people used to get their exploits in? Yeah once that happens it'll take the reverse engineers another 6 months to hax0r.

Oh yeah, and for people who want to keep it at @ 1.50 and think you can just use a version changer - wrong. Sure, you can fool it to think it's updated and play some games. But guess what, some games DO take advantage of the new features in the firmwares. Do the hackers have time to emulate these? Not when they're busy working on the downgrader.

In short, PSP will die eventually for everything I've just said and the fact that people getting new PSPs quite simply will NOT be able to play emu/homebrew. Basically unless you want to shell out $400+ on E-bay or were lucky enough to buy some near launch, no emu for you!

Btw sorry for the long post, but if you are still undecided on this debate, this post should clear up some bits =)

Regards,
fritz

been a long time bast!!
well, like everyone pointed out, you don't have to pick up a gp2x at launch if you're interested. just wait a while and see how it turns out.
the features that interest me the most are SD card support, good controls, awesome video playback/tvout, and a lot of ram!

i am one that is enthusiastic of a game console with linux running on it.
but i have to say a thing... it lacks (exactly as psp) of network!, bluetooth or wifi that you want. And usb is not enough, because i have to bring with me another piece when only network is REALLY important.

a really stupid lack (blutooth is REALLY CHEAP).

but i buy it in 30 minutes (after i wnow that it exist!!!)

Mirko- Its hardly fair to say the GP2X is only 33mhz faster than the GP32. Running at 166mhz greatly reduces battery life and some units couldnt even reach those speeds. Not to mention we know nothing of the GP2X's overclocking potential.

There also seems to be constant differing opinions over the second processor. Some devs are quoting it as a full second processor, whilst others are saying it'll not be much use. Whenether it is clarified by one person, another comes along and says something different. Its confusing me. :(

In short, thats all.

The gp2x uses one CPU, with a second core. You can use the second core to speed up limited software. Only hand written assembler code will benefit from the second core. So after all i would call the gp2x a gp32 with more ram and 33Mhz faster.

So basically we should forget about SNES or NeoGeo as being anywhere near as good as the PSP? If what you say is true SNES will suck with sound like it does now, it is unuseable to me. NeoGeo will be impossible with sound and at a playable speed.

It will basically have the same emus we have now (except for the ones that wont get ported like Lynx etc.) only slightly faster? You must know as you are a coder so I believe you.

That kind of sucks. Oh well maybe next handheld will be better.

DaveC posted on Sep 20 2005 at 02:32 PM said:
So basically we should forget about SNES or NeoGeo as being anywhere near as good as the PSP? If what you say is true SNES will suck with sound like it does now, it is unuseable to me. NeoGeo will be impossible with sound and at a playable speed.

It will basically have the same emus we have now (except for the ones that wont get ported like Lynx etc.) only slightly faster? You must know as you are a coder so I believe you.

That kind of sucks. Oh well maybe next handheld will be better.

He's said nothing of the kind, stop jumping this way and that.

I don't agree with his costing, everybody should sensibly adding the cost of at least 2Gb in storage(if he's thinking of playing back-ups more). I have 8 or so cards for my GP32 if neo-geo/more-mame-goodness/snes/amiga etc is possible I will be getting a lot of cards because theres more programs with larger games. Scummvm is a good example some games came on 2CD's. Well that and a season of Buffy. Never mind the homebrew stuff on Linux.

He's stated quite clearly what he is thinking of a PSP. Faster Single Processer/Larger Screen(for video)/Commerical (backed-up) games. And he is 100% right, and its more in tune with what he would want on the GP2X wireless, less ram, more CPU.

I suspect the GP2X will acually have more emulators than the GP32 because of its ease of developing for it, as most emulated systems will run (almost out of the box) with linux. I'm hoping for more obsure consoles to tell the truth.

Rather than jumping this way and that choose, and choose because of what you want it for. GPH had me at SD and Linux, everything else is a bonus.

it sounds like an educated coder is making many uninformed uneducated stabs at the gp2x as he has a psp on his mind now.

No big loss IMO as we have some fantastic coders behind the system.

x68000: mr.mirko is merely weighing up his options, which is fair enough. You must admint the PSP is an attractive prospect, though personally I'm favouring the GP2X for the reasons I mentioned earlier. If he does decide to go down the PSP route it would be a big loss IMHO, and the same goes for any developer of his ability. But even if he does shun the GP2X, hopefully he'll consider coming back at a later date when we've got an SDK capable of taking advantage of the second processor.

DaveC: official GP32x doomsayer ;)

i don't doubt mr mirkos talent as a devver although many of his points about the base running speeds of the gp32 and gp2x along with other points were incorrect so that doesnt make for a good argument. Also mentioning the larger screen on the psp is also incorrect as 100% of games available for all the systems which can be emulated will be in the 4:3 or 3:4 formats, and once cropping takes place on the psp, the screen will then be smaller than the gp2x.

A lot will be answered in the next week or two once devvers have their hands on a system.

Cyclops posted on Sep 20 2005 at 12:11 PM said:
(...) The GP2X has 50% more mhz than the gp2x (...)

Oh my God! The GP2X has infinite mhz!

200mhz + 50% of 200mhz = 300mhz
300mhz + 50% of 300mhz = 450mhz
450mhz + 50% of 450mhz = 675mhz
:lol:

Sorry the joke about an old post, I couldn't resist :D

x68000 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 04:21 PM said:
i don't doubt mr mirkos talent as a devver although many of his points about the base running speeds of the gp32 and gp2x along with other points were incorrect so that doesnt make for a good argument. Also mentioning the larger screen on the psp is also incorrect as 100% of games available for all the systems which can be emulated will be in the 4:3 or 3:4 formats, and once cropping takes place on the psp, the screen will then be smaller than the gp2x.

A lot will be answered in the next week or two once devvers have their hands on a system.

I actually read the screen size as being to do with movies, he highlights good reasons for choosing a PSP. Although to tell the truth I don't care about reolution. It highlights the obvious that most people do not understand, PSP and GP2X serve different purposes, People seem to forget that people want different things and there is a choice. If you want Homebrew/Emulation/Ports cheaply the GPX2 is the obvious winner. If you want commercial/warez3D well PSP is the better choice.

Huxley posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:59 PM said:
DaveC: official GP32x doomsayer ;)

No I am just going by what Mirko has said:

"In short, thats all.

The gp2x uses one CPU, with a second core. You can use the second core to speed up limited software. Only hand written assembler code will benefit from the second core. So after all i would call the gp2x a gp32 with more ram and 33Mhz faster."

That is very dissapointing that is all.

I guess it is still better than a GP32 as it supports larger storage and has more RAM, internal storage, TV-out, Linux etc.

It is just kind of a bummer that playable SNES and NeoGeo with sound are still a pipe dream until the next version of the GP2X is made.

Well, that post was long ago... it looks different now, the 2nd CPU should be usable via a simple SDK, without assembler.

BTW: Don't worry, Mirko'll get a gp2x as well, I'm sure :)

DaveC posted on Sep 20 2005 at 05:14 PM said:
No I am just going by what Mirko has said:

"In short, thats all.

The gp2x uses one CPU, with a second core. You can use the second core to speed up limited software. Only hand written assembler code will benefit from the second core. So after all i would call the gp2x a gp32 with more ram and 33Mhz faster."

That is very dissapointing that is all.

I guess it is still better than a GP32 as it supports larger storage and has more RAM, internal storage, TV-out, Linux etc.

It is just kind of a bummer that playable SNES and NeoGeo with sound are still a pipe dream until the next version of the GP2X is made.

The GP2X is not 33Mhz faster than the GP32. that is not true, that is a lie. You have been told again, and again.

You clearly do not know what is possible/not possible and neither do I. There is no shame in not knowing. There is nothing wrong with speculating, but what you say is again uninformed.

Back