Any Case News?

Mithrildor

I Haz Custom Title
Website
Visit site
It has been such a long time since we heard about the case progress. I would like to know which molds are already finished and what not. And how the hinge testing is coming along.

Craig, I like all your news updates. But i want real information about what is done and what is not. And Im sure im not the only one wanting that info.

Ty.

It has been such a long time since we heard about the case progress. I would like to know which molds are already finished and what not. And how the hinge testing is coming along.
Craig, I like all your news updates. But i want real information about what is done and what is not. And Im sure im not the only one wanting that info.

Ty.

i want to have a boxshot of the pandora console ^^. the real boxshot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I expect Craigx and gang are as eager for case updates as we are. A lot of what they have to do is wait for the companies that do the injection molding to do their part, and that will happen when that manufacturing facility has Pandora parts scheduled for a production line.

They've been good about updating when there's actually something to tell us, and let's all be honest here, regular updates that tell us they're still waiting will do nothing to curb the complaints.

Has the hinge issue been sorted out? If not, then the case parts have not been ordered and they are not waiting, they are still working and obviously a few of us would like to know how they are coming. It has been two weeks since Craig posted that they were working on the hinge and testing the boards.

And if the hinge issue hasn't been worked out yet? Do you think it is worth their time and effort to detail the small support flange that is in the way of the bracket they need to install to support the screw..........

And of course we're talking about textually describing visual spatial problems, which while possible is time consuming, time they could be using elsewhere. Then there's the armchair molding-expert trolls that will tell them in great flamewar detail how they're fucking up the hinge and the whole thing is utter crap, and their impossible hinge is just proof the whole thing is "Vaporware" in the first place....

If the hinge issue hasn't been resolved yet there's really nothing to tell you based on the fact that you already know what is happening. More than that is little more than Troll bait.

If the hinge issue hasn't been resolved yet there's really nothing to tell you based on the fact that you already know what is happening.
They could answer the question. Even if Nothing else they could give him :
"Yes, we fixed the issue and hinges are sent to mass production"
"Yes, we have our new fixed prototype and will send it to mass production shortly."
"Yes, We have produced a new hinge design and have sent the new design to prototyping"
"Sort of, We designed the new hinge, but we're waiting for the new D-Pad before making the next prototype."
"No, we made a new prototype but it's still a bit wobbly."
"No, we can't even figure out what's causing the wobbliness on this prototype."

It took me under forty-five seconds to type all six of those replies. Craig only needs to type one!
( Note to Craigix: Feel free to copy/paste. )

And if the hinge issue hasn't been worked out yet? Do you think it is worth their time and effort to detail the small support flange that is in the way of the bracket they need to install to support the screw..........
Yes! When a preorder is this badly late, managing the mood of the pre-orderers is a very important and valid use of time, and it's something that the OpenPandora team could frankly use some practice on.

The crowd here is nerdy enough that a detailed explanation of the problem and of the problem solving steps would be appreciated.
Really, fifteen minutes spent handling a forum full of angry and/or nervous customers is time well spent.
They've been good about updating when there's actually something to tell us,
Well, they're good are updating when they have good news.

I couldn't agree more, VRAndy (although I used to be on the side of "if they have updates they'll post them"). Seems to me Craig has a Twitter account -- why not use it for small updates like these? Heck, don't most cell-phones now-a-days have a twitter client on them? It would take no more time to post something short than it would to send a text-message!

edit: just looked -- it's been nearly a month(!) since he posted something on Twitter.

imagine the forums when they do report every little problem they encounter, then the crowd will go mad. Even now when they mention only major news everybody goes all mental on speculations etc.

Any news can/will create a flood of forum threads and things are most of the times not that fixed that its worth a whole forum discussion.

And yeah oh my gosh its been almost a full day since craig said something, actually a couple of hours if you count the wizzley blog.

the guys and girls are busy why cant we accept that?

My understanding through some of the back-forum is that quite early in the process the OPLtd guys were right up there with the constant updates, but every time that something went wrong they'd have to blow more and more time managing forum trolls complaining about delays and armchair manufacturing, and trolls making accusations of Vaporware and fraud. These posts would make their way to endgadget or other gaming hardware sites, and get repeated in press releases, then OPLtd has to make official press releases to counter the BS. This has persisted to put a black-mark on the Pandora name even with as much progress as has happened, the editorial commentary is still generally negative about OPLtd's prospects of completing the device, and they're going to have a long tough slog to remove that negative impression even when the device is completed.

Yes it would be nice to have good, informative updates. I am to a degree frustrated about a lack of knowing what is going on. It would be even nicer if forum trolls didn't make every report in to an apocalyptic disaster and make life harder for OPLtd. every time they do tell us about a setback so OPLtd could feel confident that every setback wouldn't result in more articles equating the Pandora to Vaporware.

since he posted something on Twitter.
Do you remember the Twitter posts? They were so short as to be just as bad if not worse than silence. Craigx would twitter something and then rafts of questions would surface about what any of it meant.

My understanding through some of the back-forum is that quite early in the process the OPLtd guys were right up there with the constant updates, but every time that something went wrong they'd have to blow more and more time managing forum trolls complaining about delays and armchair manufacturing, and trolls making accusations of Vaporware and fraud. These posts would make their way to endgadget or other gaming hardware sites, and get repeated in press releases, then OPLtd has to make official press releases to counter the BS. This has persisted to put a black-mark on the Pandora name even with as much progress as has happened, the editorial commentary is still generally negative about OPLtd's prospects of completing the device, and they're going to have a long tough slog to remove that negative impression even when the device is completed.

Yes it would be nice to have good, informative updates. I am to a degree frustrated about a lack of knowing what is going on. It would be even nicer if forum trolls didn't make every report in to an apocalyptic disaster and make life harder for OPLtd. every time they do tell us about a setback so OPLtd could feel confident that every setback wouldn't result in more articles equating the Pandora to Vaporware.
I see where you're coming from -- but it seems to me that even small, regular updates like you might see on a twitter feed could do nothing but help with all the trolls crying "OMG, i TOLD you it was vaporwarezlol". I think long periods of no updates will only give the trolls more fuel. I realize there won't be big updates every day, but even something on a twitter feed like "gosh, I wish the stupid manufacturer would hurry up with item x" would be nice.

imagine the forums when they do report every little problem they encounter, then the crowd will go mad. Even now when they mention only major news everybody goes all mental on speculations etc.
Consider that the reason we go all mad is because the updates are so few and far between, and the updates we do get, even major ones, are often written in rather terse, cryptic terms.
They also don't describe the process as much as many of us would enjoy, they only describe the positive progress. So when they don't have something new physically in their hands, or when something has gone wrong, we hear very very little as if they were doing nothing, which in most cases can't be true.

The guys and girls are busy why cant we accept that?
Nope. Sorry. Human nature. It'd be great if we were all Vulcans, but Craig knows we're not.
There are projects that don't have my money that I can follow in more depth than this one! And that's terrible.

I see where you're coming from -- but it seems to me that even small, regular updates like you might see on a twitter feed could do nothing but help with all the trolls crying "OMG, i TOLD you it was vaporwarezlol". I think long periods of no updates will only give the trolls more fuel. I realize there won't be big updates every day, but even something on a twitter feed like "gosh, I wish the stupid manufacturer would hurry up with item x" would be nice.
They were doing precisely this, and it only raised more questions than answers. Twitter updates were just as much trollbait as anything else

They were doing precisely this, and it only raised more questions than answers. Twitter updates were just as much trollbait as anything else
I don't think they tried it in the capacity I'm describing. On Craig's Twitter, there have been 22 posts in total. Even some info on how the new video is going would be nice (especially considering there was a LONG thread discussing what would be in it). I guess I'm just obsessed, and am starved for any info. :)

So when they don't have something new physically in their hands, or when something has gone wrong, we hear very very little as if they were doing nothing, which in most cases can't be true.
Because the trolls take that progress and plaster it all over the industry news sites, and that gives the Pandora a bad reputation that becomes a headache and nightmare for OPLtd. to counter, and of course no-one really believes the good news because it comes from the people who want you to believe the good news, but bad news has to be correct, because no-one want's to release bad news...

The bad news and news of slowed progress just becomes fodder for tabloid journalism tainting the consumer base that OPLtd. needs to appeal to to buy more Pandoras.

It would be nice if that wasn't true, but it is. Go read articles about the Pandora on other sites, the thing they all mention is last year's meltdown with no context of how it happened because of the worldwide financial crisis. There's a lot of descriptions of amazement that OPLtd got as far as they have, nothing about how they've continued to improve the device, nothing about the number of garage developers planning projects for the Pandora. Everything about a lack of "Professional Developers", but nothing about those companies that have expressed interest in the Pandora. A lot of talk about he Pandora as "Just an emulation device" with no mention of it's potential as a general purpose UMPC.

Even when the Pandora rolls off the line that negative image is one that OPLtd will have to fight, and fight hard, to wipe clean. Since they can't trust the forum-going community with negative or inactive progress updates, we don't get any.

Every time a twitter was posted on the Unofficial blog there were rafts of comments pointing out the possibilities. Even Gruso would have questions about the twitter in his article about the update. Most of it had to be clarified in the forums anyway.

I guess I'm just obsessed, and am starved for any info. :)

You and everyone else around here.

Now I do wish Craigx would use the Official Blog to do his updates rather than/in addition to randomly post in some related threads in the forums. They'd be a lot easier to find that way.

Every time a twitter was posted on the Unofficial blog there were rafts of comments pointing out the possibilities. Even Gruso would have questions about the twitter in his article about the update. Most of it had to be clarified in the forums anyway.

I guess I'm just obsessed, and am starved for any info. :"]
You and everyone else around here.

Now I do wish Craigx would use the Official Blog to do his updates rather than/in addition to randomly post in some related threads in the forums. They'd be a lot easier to find that way.[/quote]I would submit that that has more to do with Craig's wording of his posts, rather than the fact that he posts at all on Twitter. He does tend to be a bit cryptic sometimes. :) I agree with you that it's irritating he posts (sometimes important updates) in random places.

Back