Any Ds Emulation News?

kun said:
or even just gpSP news?

Pickle and SteveM said they were looking into it, but we haven't heard anything since.

And DS emulation is most likely not going to happen. You would have understood this if you had used the search function. (Or a simple google search)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle and SteveM said they were looking into it, but we haven't heard anything since.

And DS emulation is most likely not going to happen. You would have understood this if you had used the search function. (Or a simple google search)

-God Ginrai

there's a topic that talks about possibly, POSSIBLY emulating DS. You would have understood this if you had used the search function.(Or a simple google search)

no way, i thought no one had ever discussed the possibility of DS emulation. i was, frankly, surprised that you were the first one. guess i was wrong.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Kaboom!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MN3fYIzQSc

Edit: just in case there were ROMs on that last site.

kun said:

-God Ginrai

there's a topic that talks about possibly, POSSIBLY emulating DS. You would have understood this if you had used the search function.(Or a simple google search)

Oh I know, if you had actually read any of those topics, (of which there are more than one) I have posted in most of them. I said "most likely never" which is a lot different from just "never". I realize that there is some far reaching possibility for DS emulation, but when you cross the likelihood of any sort of useful DS emulation with the likelihood of a competent dev willing to port it showing up, you get an infinitesimal number that should tell you that you shouldn't get your hopes up. Try fully reading my post before you try to make a sarcastic remark, and also, try actually thinking about the odds.

Trust me, if DS, Saturn, Dreamcast, or PSP emulation ever get to a point that they are playable, you won't have to make a topic asking about if that is happened. People will be freaking out.

-God Ginrai

DS emulation is theoretically possible, but will require a lot of work to get a set of emulation cores tailored as much as can be to the host hardware. Nobody has yet said that they are willing to do this. The other thing that seems to be getting in the way is that there is no concensus on how to emulate the two displays. I think that some dialog on this issue will be beneficial above all others - once it's sorted I'm willing to bet that loads of people will want to write a kick-ass emulator, as the screens are the hardest thing to get right above all else.

Honest.

D.

As a few others have stated here, DS Emulation is certainly possible, but even if we could find a developer willing to port it, it's probably never going to be at a tolerable speed. You must understand that even on the platforms the DS Emulators are being developed for (mostly *cough*Windows*cough), there are still emulation and speed issues. All I can really say is, "Don't get your hopes up".

Now that's not saying I wouldn't mind seeing DS, Saturn, Dreamcast or PSP Emulation (Heck, we've seen videos of those last two running on a Pandora, so it's been in development in the past) But honestly it's hard to imagine a full speed emulator of these on a Pandora because we aren't even there yet on the hardware the emulators are currently developed for.

Dunny said:
once it's sorted I'm willing to bet that loads of people will want to write a kick-ass emulator, as the screens are the hardest thing to get right above all else.

Are you kidding me? There are plenty of good ways to handle the screens, and almost every DS emulation topic has devolved into screen discussion, so if you look at those topics, you can see plenty of good suggestions. The hardest part by far will be making an emulator that works well, because unlike the SNES and Genesis emulators and such, the emulator will have to be written almost completely from scratch.

-God Ginrai

Why thankyou, Mali.

All trolling joking aside, the Pandora is, in theory, capable of emulating a DS with a fair degree of playability. However it will not be a port, and will likely need to be very specifically written for the Pandora - not to mention that it will also likely require ROM-specific hacks to maintain any kind of speed. In other words, you might get an "emulator" (and I use the term loosely here) which runs certain ROMs well - very much like UltraHLE and Corn on the PC. A general "runs anything past, present and future" emulator probably won't happen.

I'm not discounting, because there are some very talented peeps out there. Whether or not they're willing to try is a different matter. It's all very well saying that it's possible, but if nobody steps up to the plate then the crowd's gonna be disappointed.

Oh my. Just seen that our own God, Mr Ginrai has taken the bait. I salute you, sir.

D.

As we know, it would be an extremely difficult task. We can only hope that somebody is out there working on it in secret or something.

Yeah, we still haven't come up with a perfect solution on how to display the two screens of the DS on the one screen of the Pandora, have we? :unsure:

OrR said:
Yeah, we still haven't come up with a perfect solution on how to display the two screens of the DS on the one screen of the Pandora, have we? :unsure:

Wait, you mean taking a real DS apart and plugging one of the screens into the tv-out wasn't a given? Really this community needs to start thinking about the obvious solutions sometimes...

ive heard someone mentioning something about placing a mirror in front of the pandora screen giving the affect of 2 screens, and the mirror one wont even be a touch screen like the top screen on the ds

DaMummy said:
ive heard someone mentioning something about placing a mirror in front of the pandora screen giving the affect of 2 screens, and the mirror one wont even be a touch screen like the top screen on the ds
Simply turn the Pandora upside down. All DS games emphatically (and annoyingly) use the touchscreen anyway, don't they? :p

Not the good ones, Stan. The good ones see the touchscreen as an excellent input device and not a bloody gimmick, like all of the crappy ones.

PS: if anyone ever has a question about the DS, flashcarts or DS games (NOT non-windows DS emulation, pester a well-known dev for that) PM me. I routinely help newbies on GBATemp.net and I should be able to answer most questions for you.

Also off topic: Exo, is it true that you have been part of the developement team for Desmume? Nice work, if so. But it still needs a few disabled-by-default speed hacks (yes, hacks. I know it's well optimized) for all of the people out there still using bloody No$GBA.

If you haven't ever worked on it... I just embarrassed myself.

Back