Appstore.. Really?

darien said:
I think you guys should let go of the idea and let the store be known as a store with freebies rather than an official depository where everything is intended to be free and disappointing people when it isn't.

Honestly what's wrong with the "Open Pandora Store". It pays homage to the team, the term open implies enough about the free stuff, the store states that it's a business as well.

i agree, OpenPandora should be involved in the name. the box? what are we, cats?

Last edited by a moderator:
I surprised that no one have suggested AppBox yet :)

Something generic like The Box doesn't describe what it is and Pandora's Box is too long and complicated to write. AppBox uses the word Box that so many of you seem to like while App makes it clear to everybody what it is. It's also short and easy to say and write. Personally I think box sounds very physical as well as small but it does make the name more original.

Prometheus said:
Trevsweb said:
wow what a mess. why does it matter what its called? it can be called anything. instead a whole thread about its name. how about ideas on what to put on there. its a bit bloody pathetic when people start bitching over a name.
appstore works for now. it might not be the official name but it describes what its being used for.
Sorry to offend, mate. I've got to say that I didn't realise anyone was bitching, though. :blink:

Unfortunately, ideas about what to put on there from anyone who, say, can't code or whatever would fairly likely be met with comments from folks who believe "industry" bunk like this (see here for a counter-point), who would say that the ideas are worthless and that space and time oughtn't be wasted on such discussions. :p I've things rattling around in my mind, but I don't feel particularly compelled to share them. :lol:

i would hate for the appstore to come out after criagixs work and someone to say aww i wish it had A B C in there
just thought it would be a decent idea to get what people need into an appstore rather than talk about something that has already been sorted out. :)
dont want anything innovative just essentials that need to be there (obviously its gonna let u download the app)

also its named Open(pandora logo)AppStore nuff said

Trevsweb, you missed dflemstr's post where he states that the word Appstore is protected. It seems we have to find an alternative to stay out of legal battles.

Trevsweb said:
i would hate for the appstore to come out after criagixs work and someone to say aww i wish it had A B C in there
just thought it would be a decent idea to get what people need into an appstore rather than talk about something that has already been sorted out. :)
dont want anything innovative just essentials that need to be there (obviously its gonna let u download the app)

also its named Open(pandora logo)AppStore nuff said
Ahh! With you! I misunderstood before (though I've now been inspired to try to create some sort of design documents for some of those ideas of mine, since I just can't pick up languages, spoken or codey, at all for some reason). My bad.

Anyhow, I can definitely think of a few things. You should totally start such a thread, or something. :lol:

While I'm all for people coming up with a catchy name, what I really want is a term that better describes the Pandora spirit of an software distribution network that doesn't involve Appstore. It just doesn't fit the Pandora paradigm. I kinda am stuck on OpenMarket now...

"Where can I find game X?"
"It's on the OpenMarket."

Not that clever I know, but it takes so little to amuse me these days... what with all the waiting and all.

OPS Store
Open Pandora Software Store
(Updates and /Firmware section - SPECIAL OPS)
;)

I suggested this a while ago, but I'll suggest it again:
The Pandy Shop

Get it?... "Like a kid in a candy shop"? :D
I guess shop could be swapped for store, too.

wermy said:
I suggested this a while ago, but I'll suggest it again:
The Pandy Shop

Get it?... "Like a kid in a candy shop"? :D
I guess shop could be swapped for store, too.

I like Candy Shop. It doesn't relate to Pandora, apps, games..anything, but has lots of sugar!!

I can imagine a button on Pangea with the label "Candy Shop" and a photography of some candy...delicious!!

mindlord said:
The word Appstore keeps getting used to reference the Pandora's software marketplace website. I think this word is misleading, and wholly inadequate. It also has a connection to Apple.

Can we please brainstorm some better words to describe this aspect of the Pandora? Appstore really bugs me, and seems to be confusing to some people. I'm not talking about a name for the website, like "The Box" or "Papp-o-rama" but something we can use in place of Appstore in conversation. Obviously it has to be easy to type or it won't get adopted by the masses.

I like "AppBox" that someone mentioned but... the problem as I see it is this. You're not aiming to name the actual webssite, which doesn't exist, but what we call it NOW in advance? There's a reason that people have tended to call it an "AppStore" and that's because, like it or not (mostly not), Apple have coined a term which has a large relevance to what Craig is trying to setup, a term which is widely known by many less technical people as "the place to go to get new applications". I know "AppStore" and I don't own a single bit of Apple kit!

Whatever term you use, there will be some people who misunderstand it - I don't understand why we would search for a term that would be new and unusual (and potentially confusing) to EVERYONE when there's a perfectly bad term to hand which is immediately understandableish to an awful lot of people.

I'm a little embarrased to say that I now have an XBOX 360 (Pandora delivery dates have a LOT to answer for) and we've been delighted at how easy it is to get games from its appstore - but I don't even know what they call their store (and we've mostly downloaded trials and videos, except for Portal which we've bought "in the store"). I'm tempted to think the utility of this thread is minimal at best :(

Shock-Socks said:
"The Box"

it only makes sense. ya' know, open THE BOX

In the design world, this is something we call 'reaching' because it really doesn't fit as serendipitously as people would like it to.

typs lik dis said:
What's wrong with app store? I would call it an app store just to piss off people who dislike that term so much.
Haha. :D I agree.

He said for use in a conversation. If you say "The Box" to anyone that isn't familiar with the Pandora, they'll wonder wth you're talking about. The only good names suggested are appstore, download center, file forum, etc.

Sphinxter said:
typs lik dis said:
What's wrong with app store? I would call it an app store just to piss off people who dislike that term so much.
I see your point but not everyone shares that attitude. Many prefer to lead rather than stumble along in apples shadow.

I've been calling my apps "apps" since long before Apple did. I think it was ~2005 when I renamed Program Files to Apps.

I vote for OpenBox too. It's easily linked too OpenPandora but it's not too specific as to lead ppl to think it's Pandora only software. Also a lot of the software will be open source so it's good for that too. It is catchy too and to help avoid the annoying jokes concerning pandora's box we migth as well embrace it and call it box anyway, it also makes sense to call it box... THE OPENPANDORA NEED A BOX TOO :p (I know it is box shaped but it's not the same...)

Kramy said:
I've been calling my apps "apps" since long before Apple did. I think it was ~2005 when I renamed Program Files to Apps.
Hehe, I hate to tell you this, but Apple's been using the ".app" extension (analogous to the ".exe" of Microsoft Windows) since they launched Mac OS X. :p That's where their usage of the term "apps" originates, as far as I'm aware. But I'm pretty sure I've heard it before then, even.

My problem with appstore: it's not a store. In a store, you have a shopkeeper that determines what's sold and what's not. We don't. Everyone's allowed to dump their PND's in there. That's more like a bazaar.
So, let's call it PNDazaar :)

Monk said:
I think you just accidentally contributed. Sounds pretty good actually, like those websites with everything on them (yahoo comes to mind), except for the Pandora, etc.

Other than that, all I can think of is this:
Repository
Repostore
Reposistory? Lol

Nothing wrong with appstore though. It's not going away.

Back