Are You Getting A Wiz? If So, Why?

lobski

I'm wondering if I should complement my Pandora with a Wiz. I am not too sure yet. Do I need the Wiz if I'm getting the Pandora?

Who here is getting a Wiz? Can you tell me your reasons for buying it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally if you're gettin' pandora you'll get the same apps like on Wiz. Looking from pandora user view: If you bought Pandora, you dont need to buy wiz 'coz there will be more apps for Panda than Wiz, and im 99% sure that Wiz will get only few exclusives like asura sword, her knights... Any other app that was opensource or created by gp2x community will be released on pandora, thats for sure. From other hand, on wiz you'll not play in some pandora exclusives like PandoraPanic, TINCS, NullDC, Psx4Pandora [ i dont think that Wiz get fullspeed PSX emu ]

Streak is a known wiz hater. My main reason for getting it is because of the display. If it's powerful enough to do the emulation tasks that couldn't be done with gp2x, like A500 and PSX, it does 95% of the things that are needed from a gaming machine.

If you're getting a pandora already what you should consider is the smaller form factor and the screen. In the long run easy pocketability might be more important than brute force.

EDIT: I'm mostly looking forward to decent controls and touchscreen as an upgrade from the gp2x. The price is quite important as well with my current income level, but if all goes well (both personally and with pandora development) I will consider getting a pandora.
Touchscreen amiga games should be fun, plenty of good games in that library.

But, if you don't need any of those things, the Wiz is significantly cheaper, and also smaller I believe.

The price was a big factor for me, because I just want a small simple handheld that can emulate older things. I don't need to be emulating PSX on the go, and I definitely don't want to pay extra for that type of thing when I won't be using it.

I am getting a Wiz (I pre-ordered it already) primarily because of emulation. Right now I would be able to emulate Ms. Pac-Man and other arcade games from the 1980s, plus the Neo Geo and Genesis consoles. I am also confident it will be able to emulate in time other consoles that I like, like the Atari 2600, Intellivision, Oddysey 2, and Vectrex.

I also love the size of the Wiz and its industrial design. I never really liked the industrial design of the GP2x.

Any homebrew and commercial games would be an added bonus.

Im not Wiz hater :), only GPH :)

My quick pros and cons:

Pros:
+ Smaller than OpenPanda [ if will fit in the smaller pocket, then will be awesome ]
+ Better than GP2X :)
+ Bright screen
+ touch screen
+ Nice D-Pad
+ Flash
+ Solid design

Cons:
- Weaker battery compared to pandora
- Emulation only slightly better than on GP2X [ example: mame4all by franxis ]
- Too weak performance, to say about wiz , that is NexGen handheld compared to GP2X
- Screen issues [ tearing ]
- Dev's are forced to use older dev tools than new ones.
- Screen is too small [ for me ]
- Not enough buttons [ for example to ful emulate psx pad in Psx4all ] the same problem was in JXD301
- GPH stands behind Wiz :/ , so we will get only few games officially released on wiz.
- D-Pad-Buttons suxx, even if they separate it, [ still looks awfull. ]
- Shiny as cheap MP4 from china
- External wifi dongle [ tetris-block like :) ]

Because It reminds me of canceled XGP mini that has drawn me to GP2X scene.
Also it is a perfect platform for me to fetish with 3D action RPGs.

'StreaK' said:
- Not enough buttons [ for example to ful emulate psx pad in Psx4all ] the same problem was in JXD301
That question already been answered. Wiz have enogh buttons to emulate PSX pad. I guess your poor perception skills missed two buttons. So your quick blah-blah-blah worths nothing

It depends on what you want, if you want a mini PC and have the space to carry it around and not bothered by the weight, then get a Pandora. But if all you want is a mini game device that you can carry in your pocket that's mega light and you can game on the move with a daylight visible screen, then get a Wiz.

For me all LCD screens suffer from the same thing, I can't see them in sunlight. I myself have never suffered from that with the Wiz. So where are you are going to use your device and what for is a huge deciding factor on your personal choice.

'quasist' said:
'StreaK' said:
That question already been answered. Wiz have enogh buttons to emulate PSX pad. I guess your poor perception skills missed two buttons. So your quick blah-blah-blah worths nothing

If the button layout its not the problem for ya, ya need to be 30-fingers squid with the ability to push 15 buttonz at once. Hopefull youll try to play on your Weeeez in Syphon Filter and youll know the difference :)

.. or play in Saru Get You :)

'WarmFluffyUK' said:
For me all LCD screens suffer from the same thing, I can't see them in sunlight. I myself have never suffered from that with the Wiz. So where are you are going to use your device and what for is a huge deciding factor on your personal choice.
What about the screen tearing? I believe it's related to the type of screen they chose.

If you've already preordered a Pandora, the Wiz will not offer anything that the Pandora does not already have besides a smaller form factor. If all you want is emulation of older systems in a small package, the A320 might actually be a better choice. It's about the same size as the Wiz, but has a much longer battery life and costs about half as much. You lose the touchscreen, but the sort of older video game systems that you'd emulate on it don't use it anyway.

One last word: Wiz have big potencial to be very good handheld, but in the end the other thing will be more important - developers. If they will not get into wiz , the platform will die sooner. The potencial needs to be used by dev's. These days we are highly polarized into two camps WIZ and Pandora, and its up to you to keep wiz alive. Its always nice to see the progress , even small, so take dev kits and build your first "helloworld".

The A320 looks great but what happens in 6 months time when the Chinese manufacturer decides to stop making it and makes something else instead that isnt compatible?

These Chinese companies are never in it for the long haul, they make a quick buck and then move on.

'StreaK' said:
One last word: Wiz have big potencial to be very good handheld, but in the end the other thing will be more important - developers. If they will not get into wiz , the platform will die sooner. The potencial needs to be used by dev's. These days we are highly polarized into two camps WIZ and Pandora, and its up to you to keep wiz alive. Its always nice to see the progress , even small, so take dev kits and build your first "helloworld".
I think that the reason there aren't many devs working for stuff on the Wiz because it isn't as interesting as the Pandora, from a developer's perspective. Other than the 3D hardware, the Wiz hasn't changed a huge amount from the GP2X - all it has to offer is a slightly faster processor and screen tearing issues.

I would like to get a pandora and a wiz Warning, contains my opinions, you don't have to agree with them

Reasons for liking the wiz:

Reminds me of a GBA micro

nice screen

I never owned a GP2X

Its open source :p (I run Linux)

Korea is awesome

stylish, nicer looking than my psp and DS IMO

so shiny!

Reasons for liking pandora:

Its like a mini pc

pure power

But as the pandora is expensive I'll probably get a Wiz first... and I know, my formating sucks

'cloudy-cola-corp' said:
I would like to get a pandora and a wiz Warning, contains my opinions, you don't have to agree with them

Reasons for liking the wiz:

Reminds me of a GBA micro

nice screen

I never owned a GP2X

Its open source :p (I run Linux)

Korea is awesome

so shiny!

Reasons for liking pandora:

Its like a mini pc

pure power

But as the pandora is expensive I'll probably get a Wiz first... and I know, my formating sucks
You said I don't have to agree with your opinions, and I don't, so here's why:
'cloudy-cola-corp' said:
nice screen
screen tearing.
'cloudy-cola-corp' said:
I think it looks like a red and black brick.
'cloudy-cola-corp' said:
so shiny!
fingerprint magnet.

I have pre-ordered a Pandora, so Im getting that one for sure. I like some aspects of the Wiz. Possibility to use the Wiz outside is a *huge* advantage. It looks good (of course that is always in the eye of the beholder), it is small and fairly priced. I might buy it next to my Pandora when the booting time of the final firmware is good enough and there are enough developers porting and developing stuff for it.

There is one less appealing thing about the Wiz and that is I cant run Windows Vista on it.. thats the main reason I pre-ordered my Pandora. Im hoping it will be possible to boot Vista <10 seconds (booting time is important to me).

[Edit: removed the f@#ng apostrophes]

I'm not getting a Wiz (I would like to have a Pandora but FOR NOW I don't have enough money)...
However I think that you will never use the Wiz if you already have a Pandora, but that doesn't matter if you have otthing in your hands.
The Wiz is an intresting handheld, much better than the GP32x and with a very nice form factor.
I would buy a Wiz (instead of something that is not a Pandora) for its OLED display, the touchscreen, the powerfull processor and the Flash support.

P.S: I don't know why and I'm not a programmer but I think that at the end we will have a fullspeed PSX emulator for the Wiz.

I'll probably get one eventually. For me it depends, if they can resolve the tech issues and if dev support is similar to GP2X, otherwise I'll stay with the latter and wait to see what else comes along. Its only a matter of time before some other inexpensive Wiz/GP2X like device emerges from Korea or China and gains a following.

I won't be getting a Pandora, too much $$$ for what it is and horrible tiny keyboard, I already have a netbook and its keyboard is pushing it for tolerable usability. Also, if I want a small PC, Id want a mainstream OS so I can run my usual apps.

Back