Are You Getting A Wiz? If So, Why?

Why get a Wiz? I may wait 'till after the first release for them to work the bugs out, but...

Reason 1: Probability of a functional PS1 Emulator
Reason 2: SNES Emulator at 100% speed with sound (right?).
Reason 3: Sweet apps.
Reason 4: Note writing, clock / alarm, and ability to charge at PC.
Reason 5: Better D-Pad than the F200 GP2X, if I am correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the PS1 emulator but we'll see.

Why I want a wiz?

Retro gaming on new tecchnology (Touchscreen!)
A good development community.
A nice little machine for my gaming needs.

And since everybody keeps doing it. Why not a Pandora?

The Pandora looks like a neat little gaming machine but it's just overkill for what I want to do. that's it. No pandora flame or anything else. The pandora is far more powerful than the wiz but that's to be expected since they arent competing! The pandora is offering the most powerful handheld console ever. The wiz is offering a cheap affordable little linux based handheld. Stop comparing and don't troll other boards as to which is better

I'm getting a Pandora... but thinking of getting a Wiz for my 5 yo son. At least thats what I'll tell the wife :D

I think the Wiz will be great for the simpler games that he will be able to play, plus I'd like to keep 'the full set' ie in addition to gp2x, gp32 and Pandora.

Andy

"You only buy a Porsche Boxter because you can't afford a 911. But you know that one day, you will stop at a red light, and a guy in a 911 turbo will pull up next to you with the biggest smug grin you ever saw..."

I don't know why this comes to mind...

'ndbsolar' said:
"You only buy a Porsche Boxter because you can't afford a 911. But you know that one day, you will stop at a red light, and a guy in a 911 turbo will pull up next to you with the biggest smug grin you ever saw..."

Me neither, because it doesn't make any sense :p

'arrrgh' said:
Pandora = 911, Wiz = Boxter.
Well yeah, but the analogy doesn't really work. Most people who are getting a Wiz, including myself, are doing so because they don't need/want the extra features the Pandora will offer over it, or they don't like the form factor, not because they can't afford one. That's the impression I get from previous posters anyway.

'ndbsolar' said:

Really because when I buy a car I want it to be affordable I don't care for anything else. as long as it does what I need it for then I really couldn't care less.

This analogy annoys me

OMG! This car can do 0 - 120mph Yes it might be able to. but let's see you do that without being pulled over and losing your license

"Really because when I buy a car I want it to be affordable I don't care for anything else. as long as it does what I need it for then I really couldn't care less."

So, what you are saying is that you cannot afford a 911?

'ndbsolar' said:
Are you about 15 or something? :p

I didn't mean that people were buying Wizs because they couldn't afford Pandoras; I was just trying to make sense out of something that didn't :p

I'm getting a wiz because it will be several months to a year before the pandora is released. It is also too bulky, complicated, and an overkill. I just want perfect emulation for Systems up to SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Sega CD. Road Rash 2 and Killer Instinct on the go will be cooler than a toad that can self destruct its warts to poison and burn its victims. (Mainly Mr. Clean commercial producers)

Obviously because you can afford something it makes it better for you and you'll want to spend the extra money on it.

The Wiz does what I want it to. The Pandora does more and costs more. If I don't NEED it to do more, why would I pay more? That would be like buying my mom a gaming PC so that she can check her email. Just because you don't want something that's overkill doesn't mean you can't afford it.

'DurTahar' said:
Obviously because you can afford something it makes it better for you and you'll want to spend the extra money on it.

The Wiz does what I want it to. The Pandora does more and costs more. If I don't NEED it to do more, why would I pay more? That would be like buying my mom a gaming PC so that she can check her email. Just because you don't want something that's overkill doesn't mean you can't afford it.
What I was trying to say before but infinatly better worded. :p

'DurTahar' said:
If I don't NEED it to do more, why would I pay more? That would be like buying my mom a gaming PC so that she can check her email.
But she wouldn't be checking her e-mail too often, so guess who would end up using that gaming PC? ;)

Now seriously, Pandora and Wiz are different devices, so, people is choosing the one that suits their needs.

I'm was too late to do the reorder for the Pandora and if I have to wait for the second batch which may be too far away, I might just buy a Wiz to occupy myself until then.

'ndbsolar' said:
"Really because when I buy a car I want it to be affordable I don't care for anything else. as long as it does what I need it for then I really couldn't care less."

Even if I could i find their mordern day design to be pretty tasteless for me. The only body design for the recent chasis I like is the 996 Turbo, and that was a while back.

Back