Release Arora Rift 32X

Blackcurtain

Website
www.blackcurtainstudio.com
AroraRiftLogo32x.png

The original Arora Rift in 8-bit, previously released for the Caanoo, has now received a 32-bit graphics conversion for the Pandora!

Get the game here!

presentation_sheet_AroraRift32x.jpg

screen_0.png
screen_2.png

screen_1.png
screen_3.png

screen_7.png
screen_8.png

Video

Get the game here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't played the Caanoo version but it looks great and I look forward to the commercial release. How far from completion do you think you are?

interested to know how paid apps will be distributed, wouldnt this be the first for pandora?

I believe this would be the first... and my first instinct says that there would be a paypal link on the apps.op.org page.... probably the same on the repo.op.org page, but not sure how it would be able to be incorporated in PNDstore (unless the demo was in the repo and had order info at the end of the game or whenever you decided to exit/end the game)...

Wind & Water: Puzzle Battles used such a strategy...

Just for the sake of exposure, you could also post pages in the repo and apps subdomains of the OpenPandora website which tells people where to go in order to purchase the game. Very few new faces to Pandora will not look for apps and games anywhere aside from those venues in their immediate future (especially with PNDstore being in the OS now)... so a place holder (if not an actual demo with said info somewhere within the game or on the game's web page) would be beneficial if for no other reason than to spread awareness...

Unfortunately apps.openpandora.org seems to be completely dead, no updates since months. I have applied for uploadrights some months ago and still heared nothing.
You should make an account on the repo. this is what is used by most people. And it is stress free ;)

Also we could discuss with milkshake how to best handle releases like this.

Hi BlackCurtain,
Wow your game looks good, as there is no offical commercial method on the REPO I would also either suggest adding a demo to the repo with link to your site for purchase of the full game.
if you wanted to be clever about it you could potentially make the game check on your server to see if the user has purchased (i.e. get the user to put their receipt code into the game which checks it against the server?) then download the rest of the game to the appdata folder in the background or downloads the FULL pnd in the background.

the first method would be the easiest, the second method would be super COOL and make the process easy for the end user (if done right).

also just a quick question about your most excellent looking game, will the game be scaled to fit the screen or will you redo all the sprites etc for native RES beautifulness?

milkshake said:
also just a quick question about your most excellent looking game, will the game be scaled to fit the screen or will you redo all the sprites etc for native RES beautifulness?
For optimal performance I've stuck to the native Caanoo resolution of 320x240, and scaled up to 800x480 for fullscreen. This looks still pretty good, though I might reconsider going for the native Pandora resolution. Using so many high resolution sprites that Arora Rift uses in 32-bit color depth with Mode7 scroll takes a bit more performance than the old 8-bit color mode, which I used in the original Caanoo version. I'll probably make 2 versions and see if the performance is still fluid.

Good idea. If you need testers, you could release a onelevel beta or demo.

BlackCurtain said:
milkshake said:
For optimal performance I've stuck to the native Caanoo resolution of 320x240, and scaled up to 800x480 for fullscreen. This looks still pretty good, though I might reconsider going for the native Pandora resolution. Using so many high resolution sprites that Arora Rift uses in 32-bit color depth with Mode7 scroll takes a bit more performance than the old 8-bit color mode, which I used in the original Caanoo version. I'll probably make 2 versions and see if the performance is still fluid.
I bet the game would still look great in 16 Bit colour. :) Maybe this speeds up some things compared to full 32 Bit colours (that much colours are not needed on the Pandora IMHO )

Back