Banners for the Pandora Rebirth comp. (WIP thread)

That'd be the middle one. Pardon the scrawling, I'm feeling a bit hyper after playing Medieval Tower Defense.

rebirthbannersketches.jpg

Since no one has objected these dates yet, does everyone agree on setting them in stone?

• 15feb2012: Last day that graphics can be submitted.
  • 16feb2012-22feb2012: Final voting.

But how could the above be adapted for a banner?
I still think it would be best if the general rule was that submissions have to be 800x480 and crafted to still be as easily recognizable when scaled to exactly 400x240.

Having a mixture of images of varying sizes is comparatively complicated since the winner would be either a fullscreen image *or* a smaller image of a yet undefined shape. That would be less than indeal since many people want to avoid using a splash screen and thus *might* scale the image down anyway, whereas others appear to be seeing benefits in using a fullscreen image over a smaller one.

It would be nice if the splash was animated, I´m particularly found of the neo-geo intros.

But that would be a heck of a lot of work, and I guess if the animation is not programmed, it will also take a lot of space.

Quartercast typos are wonderful, makes me envy green, I can´t do texts... :unsure:

Here are some tests of a work in progress attempt...

The idea is to make an image/illustration depicting a carbon frozen Pandora, aye just like Han Solo :) .

Seems to me it fits the theme "rebirth".

It will get better tomorrow as I spare more time into it I hope... ;)

Is it too out of the box?

hey i like this idea!

I hope it turns out good, thanks.

One thing is that the pandora there should be better recognizable then the current tests I did.

will update later as I get it better going.

It would be nice if the splash was animated, I´m particularly found of the neo-geo intros.

But that would be a heck of a lot of work, and I guess if the animation is not programmed, it will also take a lot of space.

Well, I suppose it's possible for the games. A animated splash only has to be programmed once for every language if done right, with minimal modifications needed to make it work in a entry. The question though is if animated splash screens aren't even more annoying than static ones? Anyways, if you want to make it happen, feel free to make the graphical/audio media needed to implement one, along with all the movement that's supposed to take place. If this is actually something wanted, I can whip up the code for C/C++ entrie, as long as it isn't too complicated...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about a small image that could scale down to badge size. Do we even need the word Pandora in there, as anyone who has any connection with Pandora will recognize the logo easily anyway.

PRC_3.png

If anyone likes it it I could try to improve contrast/sharpness in the above.

Thanks for the offer Slaeshjag. But I´m not even sure I can finish the illustration in time.

Here another preview, better textures/light at least.

I think I will use this image as a base for photoshop and call the day.

Any hints? Is this perspective ok? Should I try a closer one?

Other then photoshoping things around, there will be some logo and background, probably smoke too.

side C.jpg

Thanks F_Slim, erico, sebt3 and others. Really nice to get feedback from you guys :)

Here's a sig banner I created using a bit of the typography I created earlier. Its 800 x 200, not too big, not too small. On second thought, it might be a little high... maybe 150 px would be better.

Testing, testing, click me.

Edit: hmmm, how to make the banner clickable? I want it to link to ED's news post.

That is great!

The compo logo is awesome! great readability on that. Tough thing to do on serif typos, congrats.

My fave is the rebirth4.jpg, it has some neat colors, and I really like the flipped R as it gives it all some great balance :)

Thanks erico. I'm a big fan of your Han Solo project!

You liked rebirth4 eh? You might like this then :)

rebirth6banner.jpg

I had to get rid of the swash on the big 'R', it looked too lopsided on the banner I thought.

yep that is perfect and it´s where my vote will probably go, I´m not too found of the side panel though, am not sure why.

Awesome sauce!

How to make images clickable and disable that stupid lightbox thing?

Back