Batteries

Light console, with not much battery life, or heavy but with plenty of juice?

• Heavy console, but with a LOT of battery life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A lighter console, but with lower battery life

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pandora said:
I would go for lots of power, how 'bout you?
what heavy mean ?
300gr
400gr
500gr
600gr ...
NDS = ~275gr
NDS Lite = ~218gr
PSP = ~280gr
PSP slim&lite = ~186gr

In my opinion 400gr is heavy for one handheld

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 300 would be my limit too. Any heavier than that and it would be uncomfortable to hold and use. And in my post I guess I just meant heavier than without the good battery

The poll is too narrow. It should have at least two more possible choices, if not three.
That being said, I agree with the 300g weight limit(Target?).

Game Gear weighed about 400g, and that was easy enough for my little child hands to hold at the time. A little heft makes things feel more substantial, as well. I like the feeling, personally.

Although it might be worth mentioning that Game Gear was significantly thicker, so it had a much better grip than this probably will.

Well Craig did mention that 'Heavy" was about a 140g battery. A durecell aa weighs roughly 30g So it depends how much the machine weighs dry. I would like up to 350g

Yrx said:
Game Gear weighed about 400g, and that was easy enough for my little child hands to hold at the time. A little heft makes things feel more substantial, as well. I like the feeling, personally.

Although it might be worth mentioning that Game Gear was significantly thicker, so it had a much better grip than this probably will.
Yeah I now what that feels like because I have one of those to and when I was about 8 years old it really wasn't a problem to lug around unless you wanted it to go in your pocket but thats because of how big it was. But as long as it's under 400g I'd be fine.

Goity said:
Nothing will explode right?
Well, hopefully the machine will not explode, but there's always a chance the battery might, so I wouldn't leave it unattended on easily flammable surface such as a bed.

This poll is really hard to answer. Define "heavy console". Define "a LOT of battery life".

I think I want at least 5 hours battery life. I'm fine with up to 400g weight as long as I get that much.

I was almost ready to check the second option, but the real choice is walking the thin line (just like everything else).

I can't stand the PSP weight (to be fair most of the frustration was how crappy it was at web browsing, no keyboard, or touchscreen, or mouse :angry:. It is very hard to hold something as it waits for 3 minutes before telling you it hasn't got enough memory, after you wasted a minute typing in your search and trying to select the page you wanted to see).

Since the battery is going to be li-ion, and I don't think there will be a metal-caged optical drive, besides the hinged screen that will let me hold it at a comfortable angle, I figure 300gr tops, and if battery life is a real 5 hours I would be very happy. (4 hours is fine if that is on high clocks or with the Wifi going).

Will the backlight be able to gracefully conserve power with lower brightness modes (IE no flickering of the backlight)? If so then we could get longer run times if we play somewhere dim.

I think this might be important to consider as well:

"With moderate use, Li-Ion batteries are expected to deliver approximately 80% of their rated capacity after 300 cycles or about one year of use. "

So after 300 cycles, 5 hours will actually be 4.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one as well but it's not really a big deal either way. I can usually play my GP2X for at least 3 weeks on two 2700mah PowerEx so I doubt that I'll need 16 hours on one charge. I use it a lot but not for very long stretches of time.

Back