Blasphemy! New Favourite Handheld = Psp?

lol DaveC, I've noticed everytime a dev says they enjoy the new PSX emu on the PSP you immediately start with the goodbyes. Is this some sort of reverse-psychology or are you just being a drama queen?

I seriously doubt one single emulator on the PSP could have such a significant impact on things here. Plus look at all the recent new stuff being worked on. The progress on the PSP is a good thing.. it results in new ports to the GP2x.

lol DaveC, I've noticed everytime a dev says they enjoy the new PSX emu on the PSP you immediately start with the goodbyes. Is this some sort of reverse-psychology or are you just being a drama queen?

I seriously doubt one single emulator on the PSP could have such a significant impact on things here. Plus look at all the recent new stuff being worked on. The progress on the PSP is a good thing.. it results in new ports to the GP2x.

Drama queen I guess, but how many updates of MAME has Slaanesh done on the GP32 since he got swept away by the PSP? 0? Ok I guess time will tell.

I can definetly feel a shift in the force, to the dark side (PSP) lately though.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all this new stuff coming out for the PSP, I'm finding I'm hardly touching my other handhelds at all.
Custom firmware 3.03 is just so good; homebrew and latest games without the need for anything else!
I even bought Gradius and Midway Arcade on the PSP recently, as they were dirt cheap, but found that they work better from ISOs anyway. Seems quicker to load and battery doesn't take a beating.
The CPS1/2 and Neo Geo emulators and also so good and of course, the PSX emulator rocks as well.

Anyone else feels the same way? Is this just temporary? Will the GP2X make a big comeback?

lol, i already have a psp and ds and am getting the gp2x soon, or when ever play-asia decides to send it, however i find that i use both equally because both have a good variety of games. now i'll just have to find time to squeeze the gp2x in when it arrives, lol.

With all this new stuff coming out for the PSP, I'm finding I'm hardly touching my other handhelds at all.
Custom firmware 3.03 is just so good; homebrew and latest games without the need for anything else!
I even bought Gradius and Midway Arcade on the PSP recently, as they were dirt cheap, but found that they work better from ISOs anyway. Seems quicker to load and battery doesn't take a beating.
The CPS1/2 and Neo Geo emulators and also so good and of course, the PSX emulator rocks as well.

Anyone else feels the same way? Is this just temporary? Will the GP2X make a big comeback?

lol, i already have a psp and ds and am getting the gp2x soon, or when ever play-asia decides to send it, however i find that i use both equally because both have a good variety of games. now i'll just have to find time to squeeze the gp2x in when it arrives, lol.

hey, are all those handhelds in the pic yours? :eek:

hey i gotta step up and give slaneesh some respect, he has been supporting the GP32 wayyy longer than most anybody else around here, dev-wise, with such a high-profile emulator to boot.

even if his name sounds funny.

The PSP screen is really bad. Even for some of its native games it just sucks hard, one of the first titles I played on the PSP was one of the FIFA seires, its great! Kick the ball, it disapears almost!

If the PSP fanboys wanna deal with a crap screen to play PSX games, good for them! And hey, the PSX emu for the 2X has not been written off yet ;)

I'll do one more release for MAME GP32; get the sound volume happening and a couple extra games.
May even get the sound buffering improvements in too for games with frameskip.
I don't know if MAME on the GP32 can really go much further anyway.

The GP2X is still a nice handheld, MAME on this device still offers the best performance compared to other handhelds. I'm also still keen on the Zodiac where it's version of MAME is also very nice (but I feel that with the hardware acceleration it should be faster?).

The PSP is just reached it's mature phase and there are a slew of emulators out for it that really appeal to me. My favourite arcade games are the Neo Geo and CPS games. I love 'em! The PS1 is from the generation when I was just starting to get interested in consoles. In fact it was my first console.

My nick 'Slaanesh' may be recognizable from those who play Warhammer or W40K :)

Oh no, not again

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

Let me debunk some myths about the PSP...

1) PSP has a d pad and an analog stick so it has better controls than the gp2x.

Not neccessarily. The dpad sucks in games that need diagnols (eg. fighting games). In a nutshell, I can't do hadokens with ryu on a psp. I usually have to use the super crappy analog stick for that.

2) Running homebrew on the psp is a nightmare. You have to be one of the lucky few with a certain firmware in order to run homebrew stuff.

Times have changed. A lot of improvements have been made so that you can easily downgrade your psp to the infamous 1.5 firmware and then upgrade to a custom firmware that allows homebrew.

3) A lot of people brick their psp's when flashing them

Your chances of bricking are honestly pretty low. As long as you dont do anything stupid(just like with the gp2x) you should be fine. Oh yea and not to mention that some of the flashes have a recovery mode incase you do end up doing something stupid, or you just have really bad luck.

4) You can't play the latest psp games and run homebrew programs on the same firmware.

Now you can. DAX ( a famous psp coder ) has made it so that you can run the latest psp firmware and run homebrew programs easily from the memory card. No TIFF exploits, just click and run.

5) PSP emulators are for the most part inferior to GP2x emulators.

Actually, as it stands now, there are many emulators that are far superior on the PSP (eg. Snes, Playstation, CPS2, Neo Geo, Gamboy Advanced [most of these are full speed or close to full speed]). In the GP2x's defense, it hasn't been around as long.

6) There are no commercial games worth playing on the PSP.

Tekken DR, Kill Zone Liberation, MGS PO, GTA VCS, LocoRoco, Virtua Tennis, Powerstone Collection, Monster Hunter, Syphon Filter, Ultimate Ghost and Goblins, the list goes on.

These are just some of the myths that are running around. Granted nobody knows Sony's next move so things might become a little harder for homebrewers. In reality I made this because most people here already know about the capabilities and good aspects about the GP2x, but not so much about the PSP. I just think that its only fair for people to make informed decisions and know all the facts. I still love my gp2x and haven't regretted either purchase.

PSP is a good system, from what I can gather. Fact is, though, cool though it is, I just love the buzz of this community trying to get along better with less.

Plus, the GP2x still (and always will) have at least four points against the PSP:
- Aspect ratio of the screen is 1:1 with almost all old classics. 320x240 rocks.
- It runs on AAs, so I can carry a couple of extra sets of batteries fully charged with me, and not worry about only having just over two hours' play time. Given that when I play my 2x these days, it's usually for 8 hour stints on long long journeys, this is rather important!
- It's not made by a company who destroyed lik-sang, installed rootkits on over a million computers, built laptops that explode, sued Bleem! out of existence despite not having a legal leg to stand on, sued any UK retailer who sold the PSP before the specific UK release, try and force a proprietary format down the troats of its customers every couple of years despite repeated failures, to everyone's detriment, and, generally, act like assholes continually in almost every respect. Lik-sang was the last straw for me; if I can avoid Sony, I will, cool though their products (sometimes) are.
- An absolutely amazing community that almost always seems to have something new and interesting going on in it!

MegaDrive emulation on the PSP is a joke compared to excellent PicoDrive...
The controls are absolutely horrible. Be glad that you have a nice working stick instead of the PSP controls!
The screen sucks for 2d homebrew (argh the ghosting) but is pretty wonderful for 3d games.

After playing my PSP and going to my GP2x, I notice the extreme lowweightness of the GP2x (makes it feel crappy and cheap) and the tiny low-viewing-angle screen.
After playing my GP2x and going to my PSP, I notice the heavyness of the PSP, the large, ghosty and not lively (Sonic is LIGHT BLUE! aiie!) screen, and the horrible controls.

GripShift is pretty nice....

Plus, the GP2x still (and always will) have at least four points against the PSP:
- Aspect ratio of the screen is 1:1 with almost all old classics. 320x240 rocks.
- It runs on AAs, so I can carry a couple of extra sets of batteries fully charged with me, and not worry about only having just over two hours' play time. Given that when I play my 2x these days, it's usually for 8 hour stints on long long journeys, this is rather important!
- It's not made by a company who destroyed lik-sang, installed rootkits on over a million computers, built laptops that explode, sued Bleem! out of existence despite not having a legal leg to stand on, sued any UK retailer who sold the PSP before the specific UK release, try and force a proprietary format down the troats of its customers every couple of years despite repeated failures, to everyone's detriment, and, generally, act like assholes continually in almost every respect. Lik-sang was the last straw for me; if I can avoid Sony, I will, cool though their products (sometimes) are.
- An absolutely amazing community that almost always seems to have something new and interesting going on in it!

AMEN!

I simply luuve Genesis, no need to go to the psp yet :)

hey, are all those handhelds in the pic yours? :eek:
no, wish it was though, lol

my psp has been lying in drawer for the last six months, waiting for the write firmware to come along so you can play homebrew and commercial games, seams i got so involved with my gp2x i have forgotten to check out the psp sites for news, all the old stuff about bricking your psp put me of it so it was put into a drawer and ignored...must see what firmware is on it ,,,after i charge it lol....how do i update the firmware again...lol

not a bad pic a few there i dont have ggrrrr

forgot how much a pain it was to switch the psp on and off,,,i thought clawing the gp2x power switch was bad...i would need to be working for nasa to have the brains to work out how to do anything with this so i'l leave it in the drawer,,,3 hrs trying to get custom firmware 3.03e to work and im ready to kill...lol

PSP is a good system, from what I can gather. Fact is, though, cool though it is, I just love the buzz of this community trying to get along better with less.

Yeah too bad the GP2X will be the last version of this type handheld with those features.

There is pretty good info that future handhelds of this type like the XGP will be using small 480 x 272 widescreens, and custom non-replaceable Li-ion batteries. I just hope the GP2X continues to be supported if something like that comes out. I think it is the perfect form factor for emulators.

Don't see any need in going to Sony or any other proprietary worshiping company to give my money to. All the "geeky" stuff I learn and practice on the GP2X is time well spend and that knowledge will be wisely used on my next Linux gadget.

I'm actually very excited about the recent homebrew and emulator releases, some fabulous stuff. Don't see any slowdown or less quality, and the driving force (the community) is fantastic.
And of course, there's gmenu2x, the best app you can get for any device.

Actually, as it stands now, there are many emulators that are far superior on the PSP (eg. Snes, Playstation, CPS2, Neo Geo, Gamboy Advanced [most of these are full speed or close to full speed]). In the GP2x's defense, it hasn't been around as long.

Considering the GP2X's MVS emulator is already full speed (and most games only need 200Mhz), I find it difficult to believe that the PSP's Neo Geo emulator could be 'far superior'. But I digress; the rest is true.

I have a Psp, a DS and a GP2X. The GP2x has been collecting dust while I have been using the Psp every day and the DS every now and then. The Psp has a completely crap Dpad as you know but after this mod, it is fine.

Psp Dpad fix

I have to say that the Joystick on the GP2x is one of the worst I have ever used and to think that it was designed for gaming is simply a joke. I have also tried different ones but none of them compare to having a Dpad.

As for Sony releasing a new firmware update to block homebrew again, if they did would it really matter?

Currently with 3.03 OE-A you can play pretty much all current game UMD's, all old ones as well as all homebrew, emulators and other applications.

Also the current Psx emulator is full speed, full sound, full save support, compression support (compressed Vagrant Story from 700mbs to 114mbs) and has an extremely high compatibility rate that no other homebrew Psx emulator will ever be able to match in my opinion. What you have here is pretty much a portable Playstation One.

I have been playing games like Tekken 3, Command & Conquer, Metal Gear Solid 1, Warcraft II, Legend Of Dragoon, FFT, FF7 and many more all full speed and sound with about 15 Psx games on one Memory stick with space for more.

There is also a 3.03 OE-A firmware version changer so if Sony released one of those pseudo firmware requirements in UMD's you could always switch firmware to say 3.04 or something. You most likely wouldn't need to do this since SFO tricks usually work however.

Back