Blasphemy! New Favourite Handheld = Psp?

I'm considering buying a PSP now, i'm not gonna kid myself, if the GP2x has reached it's limit, then it's reached it's limit. I'm not gonna leave the GP2x scene, and i'm not gonna watch the PSP one, but just the fact that the PSP HAS more potential.

I really think the next GP*x handheld shouldnt be a cheap ass one. It should have dual 400mhz at least ARMs' that aren't crippled, ie. no "940t" style core with a crippled cache and no MMU. I'd pay a Sh*t load more for it. But just think of the potential, with a decent Gfx accelerator, maybe some sort of 3d hardware.... You have to admit it would be good. Especially if it was still only pushing 76800 pixels. Still, by the time that sort of hardware is availible for under £300-400 I guess VGA will be the standard resolution for portable hardware, atleast.

I'm considering buying a PSP now, i'm not gonna kid myself, if the GP2x has reached it's limit, then it's reached it's limit.

Er, in the past week we've had proof that gpu940 works, porting of an OpenGL game, and a fullspeed (with sound) CPS2 emulator.

I don't think we're anywhere near the limit yet, sam. This is still a young system and devs are still unlocking its secrets...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering buying a PSP now, i'm not gonna kid myself, if the GP2x has reached it's limit, then it's reached it's limit.

Er, in the past week we've had proof that gpu940 works, porting of an OpenGL game, and a fullspeed (with sound) CPS2 emulator.

I don't think we're anywhere near the limit yet, sam. This is still a young system and devs are still unlocking its secrets...

Yeah, the GP2X has a lot more life left, as long as we all continue to support it.

IMO it is not a question of which machine is better, use all of them!

GP2x for general MAME, Neo Geo, Tile Match, Atari Lynx, Genesis; psp for gba, cps2 (I hate the psone), gp32 for old Mame games & quick and dirty gb-, gbc- & c64-action; the Zodiac (I do not know yet since I am an absolute Zodiac Noob, Slaanesh helped me already, maybe Outrun on Mame, at least the device is pretty), and of course the nds lite for commercial games (Tetris Wifi-Matches)

just got a psp, getting my memory stick tomorrow. going to try out of of these sony puppies if its up to snuff then i'll ebay my 295Mhz 2x.

the lure of full speed psx and gba are too much, if the screen is unbearable then i'll ebay the PSP.

Telco for president!

One other factor you should consider is the manufacture quality of the Psp screen, I noticed that the Japanese Psps had better quality screens than the UK region ones. Apparently the Japanese region Psps are manufactured with a higher quality 'Sharp' model screen but the other regions have an inferior one. I can honestly say I have noticed the difference between two different Region Psps in terms of screen quality but it could have been a one off occurance since I do not have any other Psps to compare.

Mine is Japanese and the screen gives no ghosting, so...

I think it'll get to 100% fullspeed but what i mean is we've seen what the GP2x can achieve at most, thats payback.
And that's a bloody lot. Apex should really do a RTS with the Payback engine, that would be a major killer app.

- Alex

and a fullspeed (with sound) CPS2 emulator.
Full speed? Nope. With sound? If you don't mind it running slower than it already was, sure.

Didn't I hear you don't have a working GP2X any more? How exactly can you comment on a new release then, eh?

For your information it runs, at the very least, D&D: Tower of Doom at full speed with sound, and SFAlpha is fullspeed with a little frameskip. And this is still on a pre-alpha release. The release with sound is not much slower at all.

edit: that's at 44khz sound btw.

and a fullspeed (with sound) CPS2 emulator.
Full speed? Nope. With sound? If you don't mind it running slower than it already was, sure.
Didn't I hear you don't have a working GP2X any more? How exactly can you comment on a new release then, eh?
I've still got friends that have functional GP2X units.

GunPei2X said:
For your information it runs, at the very least, D&D: Tower of Doom at full speed with sound, and SFAlpha is fullspeed with a little frameskip.
If you are skipping ANY frames, it is not full speed. Frameskip *1* is *30 FPS* so 50% speed, in fact. Higher frameskip makes it exponentially worse.

GunPei2X said:
And this is still on a pre-alpha release. The release with sound is not much slower at all.
That's great... :p just don't lie about it. It's not full speed.

Lies! You don't have any friends :p

Anyway, I think the RTS idea is great. I would never touch my PSP again if I could play something similar to Dune 2000 on the GP2x. It would be limited because of the low resolution but I think it could still work.

Back