Boomshine2x 1.02

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
I finally got round to updating Boomshine2x yesterday. Now it has some new optimisations to increase speed slightly and reduce slowdown in the later levels, and a new type of shapes, with its own scoreboard that can be selected from the options menu. You can cycle through the different scoreboard on the high scores screen using L and R.

boomshine102dg0.png

Download

Shirohagen said:
Seems like an early candidate for some touch-screen action...?

®
It uses fenix, if the touch screen acts as a mouse then its easily implemented, infact I already have an #ifdef PC for that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
kudos for the new release mate! I love to play the game just before I go to sleep as it is so relaxing. It's a good conversion of the flash game.

Yay you finally implemented it :)

Now to choose between 2 addicting games. W&W or Boomshine haha.

Tomorrow i'll release a quick little update that allows you to save your settings so it will remember them next time you start the game. I'll also add the ability to turn off sound effect and BG music independantly. Then if I get round to it i'll implement the ability to manage the volume levels of each individually from the options menu.

Gruntfuggly said:
Is there any chance you could make a change to allow the balls (or squares) to move in more than 8 directions - like the original?
Well, the balls actually have 361 angles of freedom. BUT, this is where the problem starts, to optimise for speed I have an integer table of displacements for the balls. BUT, the smallest distance that can be moved is 0 and then the next step up is 1. Thus displacements are limited. There are more than 8 directions however, but probably not many more.

So, short story, Not easily, this is just due to the GP2x's resolution. To implment a method that would keep track of fractional pixelmovemnt would cause slowdown and probably not be worth the effort i'm afraid.

Right, I've updated to version 1.03 with just small changes to the options menu and now the saving of options so they stay the same when you next run it. When ED accepts it into the archive it will be available here.

Gruntfuggly said:
I guessed that was probably the case. Maybe the double speed balls could move +1/+2 if you see what I mean?

Great game though Sam - keeps my GP2X in use!
Yeah, the easiest solution is just to allow faster ball movement but this is what I chose for some reason or another. any faster seemed to fast to be honest.

Good to see this nice game get an update, thanks Sam!

The Square mode is a nice variation, do you have any other shapes planned? Also, it seems like the piano sfx are slightly louder in this version, very nice :)

One suggestion, can you check that balls don't travel at right angles? Also, about the limited distance, does Fenix have bit shifts? They're great for this kind of thing, you could have balls move at 1/(2^n) steps per frame at no performance loss :)

^ is AND, but that's not what I meant in this case, I meant 2 to the power of n.

1 << 3 == 1 * (2 * 2 * 2)
1 >> 3 == (int)(1 / (2 * 2 * 2))

Does Fenix allow you expressions with <<, >>? If so, then you can easily have more than 8 physical directions, at no cost :)

Alex. said:
^ is AND, but that's not what I meant in this case, I meant 2 to the power of n.

1 << 3 == 1 * (2 * 2 * 2)
1 >> 3 == (int)(1 / (2 * 2 * 2))

Does Fenix allow you expressions with <<, >>? If so, then you can easily have more than 8 physical directions, at no cost :)
fenix allows left and right shift. I already use them when generating the graphics.

Back