Thruster For Gp2x

One suggestion for the game, add more exhaust "particles", cause imo theres to little and makes things quite aggrovating or me, cause spout has alot which makes things a bit easier to play, other than that, this is a great game

Goemon4 posted on Feb 17 2007 at 06:19 PM said:
One suggestion for the game, add more exhaust "particles", cause imo theres to little and makes things quite aggrovating or me, cause spout has alot which makes things a bit easier to play, other than that, this is a great game

Spout has 512 particles. Thruster has 2048, the difference is resolution. Spout is 88x128.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, your right (i completely forgot about that), im just having difficulties in making a path, i guess i need to play it more :D

Don't worry it becomes pretty easy with practice. I'm starting to get decent scores again. (I'm used to the Zodiac version.)

MyGP2x high score (classic easy) is 12473 (height of 1980). I can do much better though...I've broken 30K on the Zodiac.

I'll get a good score and post the replay for it. That should give some good tips.

The fun part is that when people get good we can set up a high score spot and collect replays. I'm very curious to see what strategies people come up with.

It seems to me that the screen fills up with blocks a bit quicker than spout. I think making it more gradual would make things a little more interesting, but I guess that would also change the difficulty...

I love the MP3 playback. Could you make the mp3 directory customizable? I like to keep my music in sd:/music/. Also, it just loops the same song over and over. it would be cool if it would randomize it or something. Also, a quick button press to go to the next song while still playing would be great. :)

This is a thoroughly excellent release. A wonderful example of how homebrew should be done. Thanks! :D

Mabey ask Guyfawkes for help on that (cause his music player in squares is quite good)

Btw, dayum Vilmos dems some high scorez! the highest i can really get is 2355 with a height of 732 (with classic on easy) but yeah, great game (ive finally started to get the hang of it) and again, ty for the release

I am glad that somebody FINALLY decided to add decent graphics and sound to this game, it was kind of bland in its original state but this version is quite fun to play.

shinneri posted on Feb 17 2007 at 10:16 PM said:
It seems to me that the screen fills up with blocks a bit quicker than spout. I think making it more gradual would make things a little more interesting, but I guess that would also change the difficulty...

I love the MP3 playback. Could you make the mp3 directory customizable? I like to keep my music in sd:/music/. Also, it just loops the same song over and over. it would be cool if it would randomize it or something. Also, a quick button press to go to the next song while still playing would be great. :)

This is a thoroughly excellent release. A wonderful example of how homebrew should be done. Thanks! :D

Doh! You are absoutely right. I forgot to adjust the levels for the smaller screen size. The level creator is still using values from the Zodiac which is 480x320. I changed the clipping rectangle but forgot there should be less blocks!

The sound dir could be anywhere. I'm planning on adding scripting to customize the backgrounds, I could add a simple config file for the sound directory too. Looping the song is intentional, because depending on the music source the song isn't streamed. If you have MOD files in there the game will shudder to a halt, load the music then carry on probably killing the player in the process. If you press select during the game you can change tracks at any time. I have to get the alpha blending back since the menu is currently hard to read, but it works enough to get by for now. I'll have that fixed very soon.

I could add a button for during the game to change tracks it is certainly easy enough, but definitely be careful as it could clobber a good score. ;)

love the game. fixes the few things that made spout less enjoyable. love the highscore table with replays which is something that always annoyed me that spout didnt have. was a great game but wouldnt save your high scores. this one you get full replays with every high score which is awesome and is also set up that we could share replays too. the graphics look great and love how the exhaust changes color with each level.

only thing i didn't like was the lives system. i would like adrenaline mode with just 1 life. I don't really see the point in having lives if you just start over in a new board after you die. maybe only have lives in arcade mode and make it so that you start in the same level with all you've done to the level after you die.

Cool stuff, however there's a couple of things that I don't like about it, one is something you find in most old games, it's unforgiving, one false move and you're definitely dead, maybe you could have a health system and a way to recover health in a challenging manner, and the other thing is annoying alone little pixels. In a way I regret that the particle system is made of individual pixels. Also, sometimes the background picture confuses me, since most of the time nothing scrolls, I'm fooled into thinking that some features of the background picture are elements of the level. Pretty addicting game anyways :)

I've been playing Thruster a fair bit now - both the GP2X and Zodiac version. I think I prefer the Zod version, but they are both excellent.

I really like the Adrenaline mode; very challenging and you get a bit more movement as I find the cave isn't as "full" as in classic mode. I find myself equally zipping around and eroding.

Great stuff! :D

EDIT:
Oh! And as for the backgrounds and the colorsets - they are really awesome giving it a Rez-style feel to the game.

It's been a long time since I've seen such a great game come out for the GP2X. It may be like spout, but the feeling and mood it creates is so much different! A great, solid game is what i say! Good work, Vilmos! I'm looking forward to more homebrew you relese! :D :ph34r:

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm working on an update that should fix up some of the problems with the current release.

I've already put in the mmu hack which has given a huge speed boost. I plan to use that speed to put the alpha blending back in.

Also the levels fill up more slowly as I forgot to reduce the amount for the smaller screen resolution.

With a little luck I'll have that done and perhaps more for next weekend.

:D

Vilmos posted on Feb 20 2007 at 03:58 PM said:
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm working on an update that should fix up some of the problems with the current release.

I've already put in the mmu hack which has given a huge speed boost. I plan to use that speed to put the alpha blending back in.

Also the levels fill up more slowly as I forgot to reduce the amount for the smaller screen resolution.

With a little luck I'll have that done and perhaps more for next weekend.

:D

You rock!

BTW what is the alpha needed for? I didn't notice anything that looked like it needed it before. If it slows it down, even just a bit, I would just leave it out (or make it so it can be disabled). Smooth gameplay is better than some fancy menu effect or something like that in my opinion.

Thanks for the great game :)

Well the update I'm working on is much smoother. It isn't really faster, just less laggy with hi-quality music going. The game is already full-speed or I wouldn't have released it.

The alpha is for the status bar at the bottom (it should be a nice graphic with only the numbers for text) and a rectangle behind the pause menu so that you can easily read the menu but still see the background (so you don't instantly die after pausing). The Zodiac version also had all the explosiona alpha blended into the background which looks fantastic but I don't think the gp2x will be able to handle that as easily. I'll give it a try though since it would be very easy to test once I add the transparent rectangles anyway.

Note: I've changed the download link to the archive since my host is having problems today. Still the original download though.

Back