Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
Well I managed to get in touch with Vilmos and got the go ahead on handling a port. I spent a while hacking around trying to make it REALLY run at 640x480 but it made the game less fun, and would have required rewriting lots of the game... so Vilmos agreed it's probably for the best to just scale2x it. Source is available from Vilmos and I can't redistribute my changes. I will be sending my changes back to Vilmos ASAP, however.

I have written a script like for my Beat2X port so that it will create the folders in appdata for you so that you can use custom music tracks or bg files.

About - Thruster is a fast paced cave flyer by Vilmos, where the goal is to reach as high as you can without crashing while eroding the landscape with your thruster. To do so you will need some fast reflexes and a good eye.

Download - Archive - Store

Great stuff, looks like spout on steroids, must give this one a go.

DaveC said:
Cool thanks for the port!
You're welcome!

Mr Loon said:
It's very much like Spout, only more colourful, has sound and the physics of things is different. The game goals are the same though fly fly fly higher higher higher... you can only clear the way using your Thruster.

MarkoeZ said:
Ah, got it ported already? Nice one.

Downloading!
Haha didn't hang around with this one, got permission to port in the morning, had an unscaled port going 30 minutes later... Spent most of the day trying to make the game render at real 640x480 and... finally decided it was way to easy(Vilmos confirmed this with 640x480 running on his pc) So spent another 30 minutes reverting some changes and adding Scale2x.

Anyway enjoy the game, I think I'll go back to Penjin for now, but if you are dying for a port of something, let me know and I'll try to give it a look at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
DaveC said:
You're welcome!

Mr Loon said:
It's very much like Spout, only more colourful, has sound and the physics of things is different. The game goals are the same though fly fly fly higher higher higher... you can only clear the way using your Thruster.

MarkoeZ said:

Downloading!
Haha didn't hang around with this one, got permission to port in the morning, had an unscaled port going 30 minutes later... Spent most of the day trying to make the game render at real 640x480 and... finally decided it was way to easy(Vilmos confirmed this with 640x480 running on his pc) So spent another 30 minutes reverting some changes and adding Scale2x.

Anyway enjoy the game, I think I'll go back to Penjin for now, but if you are dying for a port of something, let me know and I'll try to give it a look at some point.

Cool but an OPTION for running in 640 x 480 would be real nice. Options never hurt. Easy? sounds good to me as it is a bit hard to me now.

Also is there a way to replace the background pics? there was on the GP2X. They are nice but a bit too "loud" they interfere with the view of the ship sometimes. Also if nothing else maybe allow 640 x 480 background pics.

DaveC said:
PokeParadox said:
DaveC said:
You're welcome!

Mr Loon said:

MarkoeZ said:

Downloading!

Cool but an OPTION for running in 640 x 480 would be real nice. Options never hurt. Easy? sounds good to me as it is a bit hard to me now.

Also is there a way to replace the background pics? there was on the GP2X. They are nice but a bit too "loud" they interfere with the view of the ship sometimes. Also if nothing else maybe allow 640 x 480 background pics.

I don't think he got the 640x480 version running flawlessly before he realized that it was making it too easy, otherwise he probably would have included an option.

-God Ginrai

DaveC said:

I can certainly twiddle the values and give you a 640x480 mode, but it's not going to be pretty, the screen will feel very very empty, like you are flying through a void and there won't be much of a game. So basically it's not happening. I know you're not a fan of GFX filters, so perhaps I need to find a simple but quick pixel-doubler.
To make a reasonable 640x480 port much of the game code would have to be rewritten and with my own projects and such, it's not something I feel I can invest time in. I would have to learn about how the game generates the obstacles and write code to increase the size and number of obstacles for 640x480 mode but at the same time leave code there for 320x240 to keep portability.

640x480 backgrounds... should be possible, with some hackery I should be able to check image dimensions and get any bg that's the right size to blit directly before the rest of the game is put through the scale2x filter.

Changing backgrounds is and always was possible. I've made the PND extract the level scripts to the appdata directory if you check "bscript" you will find the simple lev files to load the the bmp backgrounds. NOTE: that bgs of 160x120 are currently supported, I have no clue what would happen if you tried to load anything bigger with the current code.

I did get your code changes, thanks!

I expect if you put different sized backgrounds it will crash. You can change the backgrounds, and tweak the colours of the blocks and the ship. You can also point to any music directory you like and play anything that the SDL library can handle.

I did get 640x480 working completely but the level code would need to be changed or you fly through a mostly blank void.

Do the replays work? They are the most sensitive bit of the game. Replays from other versions won't work, well they might if nothing has changed in the code other than scaling.

Vilmos said:

I expect if you put different sized backgrounds it will crash. You can change the backgrounds, and tweak the colours of the blocks and the ship. You can also point to any music directory you like and play anything that the SDL library can handle.

I did get 640x480 working completely but the level code would need to be changed or you fly through a mostly blank void.

Do the replays work? They are the most sensitive bit of the game. Replays from other versions won't work, well they might if nothing has changed in the code other than scaling.
Ah good good.
Replays work fine! :)

Vilmos said:

Yeah I can see how a 640 x 480 version would be allot of work to do, you would need to re-design allot.

What WOULD be real nice though is to just allow 640 x 480 backgrounds. The backgrounds don't move so not much of a CPU load, easy to do?. They would look nice and sharp and the thicker lines of the 2X scaled ship, particles and blocks would actually stand out better. Right now the backgrounds are very blocky on Pandora.

PokeParadox said:

Hey PokeParadox,
could you also do a port for Dingoo(Dingux) please?
Shouldn't be hard i think because you have an unscaled version, which should be designed for running on GP2x so a 320x240 resolution which the dingoo also has.
Would be really nice to have this game on dingoo.

If you have any questions or if you need help then ask me via PM or join the irc chan Freenode/#dingoonity
Would a pleasure to see you there. :)

Greetings

zLouD said:
PokeParadox said:

Hey PokeParadox,
could you also do a port for Dingoo(Dingux) please?
Shouldn't be hard i think because you have an unscaled version, which should be designed for running on GP2x so a 320x240 resolution which the dingoo also has.
Would be really nice to have this game on dingoo.

If you have any questions or if you need help then ask me via PM or join the irc chan Freenode/#dingoonity
Would a pleasure to see you there. :)

Greetings
Sure... I just would need info to setup the cross compiler. This would also let me add Dingoo support to Penjin.

PokeParadox said:
Sure... I just would need info to setup the cross compiler. This would also let me add Dingoo support to Penjin.

Nice :)

--
Dingux toolchain

Download and extract the toolchain, then put it in /opt(it have to be there for proper work)

That's all

If you have questions just ask (or join Freenode/#dingoonity)

Greetings

I hate to get back on topic back to the Pandora and not dingoo but Pokeparadox do you think it would be possible or not difficult to add 640 x 480 background picture ability to the Pandora? That would be a nice pandora enhancement 160 x 120 is a bit low resolution for the Pandora screen. I think it would look nice with that and the 2X doubled game elements.

Back