Thruster

mentis posted on Mar 20 2007 at 01:28 AM said:
I recently posted a preview of Thruster for the upcoming PC release. The post includes two wallpapers which you might enjoy. Here's the link.

Cool. Is the GP2X version still going to be updated?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe so. To my knowledge, both versions are being worked on simultaneously. So not to worry :D.

Update is mostly ready. I'd like to sort out why there are occasional slowdowns but so far my research points to the fact that games using SDL have weird freezes for a second. Now I like the idea that my code isn't causing it since I can't find anything that could even possibly cause a periodic slowdown, but that means that I can't easily fix it either.

I want to make sure if I can before I blame SDL for the slowdowns. ;) They don't exist on the PC version obviously, but that could also be processing power instead of the libs.

Vilmos posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:16 AM said:
Update is mostly ready. I'd like to sort out why there are occasional slowdowns but so far my research points to the fact that games using SDL have weird freezes for a second. Now I like the idea that my code isn't causing it since I can't find anything that could even possibly cause a periodic slowdown, but that means that I can't easily fix it either.

I want to make sure if I can before I blame SDL for the slowdowns. ;) They don't exist on the PC version obviously, but that could also be processing power instead of the libs.
sounds good :unsure: :)

I have an updated version Vilmos sent me to test. It's very pretty. The bottom where the score is in-game now has a nice-looking, semi-transparent bar. Also the in-game menu is much easier to read (because it also has a semi-transparent background now). Wonder when he plans to release this....

shinneri posted on Mar 27 2007 at 10:57 PM said:
I have an updated version Vilmos sent me to test. It's very pretty. The bottom where the score is in-game now has a nice-looking, semi-transparent bar. Also the in-game menu is much easier to read (because it also has a semi-transparent background now). Wonder when he plans to release this....

Are you getting slowdowns during the game? I'm not experiencing them, but others are which leads me to think it is related to music. I've been trying to sort out what is causing it, but other than SDL_mixer I'm not coming up with anything.

I'm ready to release when the slowdown is sorted out.

Vilmos posted on Mar 28 2007 at 08:47 AM said:
Are you getting slowdowns during the game? I'm not experiencing them, but others are which leads me to think it is related to music. I've been trying to sort out what is causing it, but other than SDL_mixer I'm not coming up with anything.

Slowdown's not really the word for it. It's a very short (probably under a second) freezing. Both the game and music actually stop very briefly, but in a game like this, that little pause could cost a life..

Vilmos posted on Mar 28 2007 at 12:47 PM said:
shinneri posted on Mar 27 2007 at 10:57 PM said:

Will this version have the button config thing in it? You know the thing I gave you the image for?

Ok I'm digging this thread up from the dead. Sorry for the long delay, I'm going to start working on Thruster again and try to get it finished this time. I've been gone for a while...wow March is when I last worked on it!

Anyway quit my old job, got a new job and was very busy! :blink:

I'm still busy, but I think I can find a bit of time to finish things off, the game needs custom controls, and powerups and then I'll call it done.

This is great news Vilmos! I still play Thruster very often, it's a very nice game :)

Looking forward to the powerups, what do you have in mind?

Well the current "beta" version...which has been around but unreleased since March has fully skinnable levels and a configurable music directory. Also some nice alpha blending for the status bar at the bottom.

New stuff to add is customized controls and powerups. Some powerups I've been thinking are shields, a forward firing blast, reverse gravity, and of course extra lives. Some powerups would be instant, and some you can save with the caveat that you can only save one up at a time.

The forward blast is in there already, try hitting select on the main menu. I'll likely fiddle with it more, but that's the general idea. Everything in the second paragraph is tentative, any powerup suggestions? I'd like to have both good ones and bad ones...add a bit of a challenge and of course the mystery pickup. You might grab a bad one because that's the only direction to go, or get stuck with one from a mystery pickup...

Anyway The classic game will stay exactly as is, my homage to Spout. The other game types are likely to change though, and more may be added. I'm thinking of adding game types that become available after certain scores are met in the other game types.

the game is already great can't wait for this new version.

a nice powerup would be kind of a bomb that destroyers a certain amount of area around you.

a bad powerup could be one that makes gravity much more powerful.

Back