Bored Gui Mockups

chad78

Website
Visit site
No word from devs on the GUI...

I'm not expecting to sway anybody here - just got bored and made some mockups.

A slight refresh of my Tango design....
2598951361_5858e38e1c.jpg
Pandora running KDE
2599780564_bde7a071e4.jpg
Panduntu...
2598951461_00e7bbe360.jpg

ooh, very nice. i like pandbutu especially.
Didnt the devs release a mockup a while ago?

Panduntu does indeed look nice.
waffles said:
ooh, very nice. i like pandbutu especially.
Didnt the devs release a mockup a while ago?

While there have been several suggestions, I don't believe there have been any official mockups yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Like it, But perhaps the battery should be something other then a coppertop, Just a suggestion though.

Also I thought that Plopper Z was Banned after the whole Poisoned V Framing thing?:huh:

KRH said:
Also I thought that Plopper Z was Banned after the whole Poisoned V Framing thing?:huh:
Yeah, for a week. I made a thread about that that in 'Off-topic discussion'

KRH said:
I Like it, But perhaps the battery should be something other then a coppertop, Just a suggestion though.

Moderators have no power in stopping anyone from viewing the forum. Anyone can easily get through a ban.
----
Blue one looks good.

Interesting. I like all three for different reasons, which is why I'm hoping there's going to be the possibility of using different GUIs.
Even if they don't sway anyone, I think they're well worth a look even if they were to only show something that won't work it's still eliminated something. So I have a couple of questions:
I liked the KDE theme instantly, but suspect that the text will look small real size.
  • What is the best way / is there a simple way of seeing the image at the actual size, given that screen resolutions differ (I'm using linux)
  • If I'm right about the size, please could you make the text a little bigger (when you're bored, of course)
  • When I load the pic it says the image is 500*300. Is there a reason you didn't make them closer to 800*640?
:)

That KDE4 one is fuel for imagination. I'm already thinking of some plasmoids for the pandora and how the container should look like.

sindbad said:
That KDE4 one is fuel for imagination. I'm already thinking of some plasmoids for the pandora and how the container should look like.
There's a Google Summer of Code project called "Small Form Factors for Plasma" that should be of use, here. It's worked on by the guy that got a (completely unoptimised) Plasma working (very, very slowly!) on the Neo1973:

http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/bobula...for-Plasma.html

TaG said:
When I load the pic it says the image is 500*300. Is there a reason you didn't make them closer to 800*640? :)
The pics are 800 x 480 - the actual screen size. To see them at proper resolution just click the pic.

The displayed-on-forum versions are the automagic resize versions that Flickr displays. I used those for 3 reasons:
  1. They come somewhat close to approximating the actual size of the screen on some monitors.
  2. It makes loading & display a bit easier on those with dial-up and/or a smaller screen
  3. It's easier for me to do, since that's the first pic that Flickr takes me too.
That being said - full-res versions are available - just click the pic. Then you can adjust the zoom however you want to get it to 4.3"

Sphinxter said:
Text bad, icon good.
There could always be a "Icon only" option. Kind of like the Google Toolbar on Firefox - "Icons only / Icons and selected text / Icons & text" - I might even add for the really adventurous - "Text only". That would also work better for the visually impaired. Although I'm not sure the Pandora would attract many blind users.

Chad, I've been thinking... wouldn't it be better to have the menus vertically placed on either the left or right side, then have them autohide? It would take up less pixels that way.

The mockups are nice, though.

chad78 said:
[*]It makes loading & display a bit easier on those with dial-up and/or a smaller screen
I have a 56K Modem and it takes long to load this Page here because of the "Thumbnails" ;) Look at the Filesize, they are still big Pix over 100KB.
I recommend Image-Shack which generates real Thumbnails around 5-10KB, VERY 56K Modem friendly. ;)

fusion_power said:
chad78 said:
[*]It makes loading & display a bit easier on those with dial-up and/or a smaller screen
I have a 56K Modem and it takes long to load this Page here because of the "Thumbnails" ;) Look at the Filesize, they are still big Pix over 100KB.
I recommend Image-Shack which generates real Thumbnails around 5-10KB, VERY 56K Modem friendly. ;)

Oh my god, who uses modems these days?

Only joking!

I agree chad78 could possibly have compressed them a bit for low bandwidth users as there's a bunch of images on the same post. Unfortunately the Internet is growing fast, and so generally is bandwidth of the common person on the block. Modem users are now days in the minority :(.

chad78 said:
TaG said:
When I load the pic it says the image is 500*300. Is there a reason you didn't make them closer to 800*640? :)
The pics are 800 x 480 .... Then you can adjust the zoom however you want to get it to 4.3"
doh! (had pop-up blocker on so it it didn't load image) Right, now that resolved - thanks - I do think the text is a little small on the KDE version, and there seems to be enough space to increase it a little without ruining the look.

One of the reasons I liked the KDE look was that it would look familiar to a lot of people, which may make them feel more at ease. Now I am wondering.... if the look is familiar but the 'actions' of the Pandora OS are different and not like KDE, is that more or less confusing?

Hope you get bored again so we can see some more developments. ;)

AireTamStorm said:
Chad, I've been thinking... wouldn't it be better to have the menus vertically placed on either the left or right side, then have them autohide? It would take up less pixels that way.
The location of the tabs is on purpose. My first Tango mockup had the tabs on the side - then moved to the top, and finally ended up on the bottom. This was through a discussion on the forums. But, I admit, the question does come up a lot. And the answer is simply "usability" - I'll explain.

Having the 8 tabs along the bottom with the 1 arrow on either side (total 2 arrows) makes it easy to "naturally map" those tabs / arrows to the 10 number keys which are located directly below the screen. (Hence the 1 - 0 labels on the screen.)

Also by having the tabs along the bottom, users can easily flick up a finger to tap the tab they want when they are holding the Pandora in the "gaming"/"navigation" mode. (Thumbs on d-pad/buttons or analog sticks.)

There are examples of GUIs that use the same location as well. Mac OS X's dock - the iPhone's quick keys - Andriod's dock - Midinux... That's not to say there aren't many examples where other locations are used. I'm just saying it's not a Lone Ranger type decision.

That all being said - a] it's not a real GUI, just a mock-up b] if it were real, there might be an option to move the tabs.

Back