Still No G U I ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a double standard in these forums. Legitimate criticisms of new members are treated differently than criticisms of chad78. You either allow people to whine or you don't - if the rule is applied selectively (and it is) that is a failure of moderation and it changes the tone and direction of the forum. The tone and direction of this forum are decidedly pro-noob and anti-chad and that is reinforced by moderation. That is fine - whoever owns this can run it how they like. My point is that this board is poison for chad right now and if they had a clue and if he cares about the English speaking market he'd at least attempt to provide an alternative venue.

Best advice I would offer - stop obsessing over the Pandora and none of the missed dates or previews will bother you anymore.

Works for me. Which is why I rarely even come here anymore.

When it comes, it comes. No amount of whining, badgering or special olympics arguments (i.e. posting threads like this one) will make it happen faster or better.

PoisonedV said:
There is a double standard in these forums.
I think there is quite a difference between a careless first-time poster who learns their mistake and someone who has been on the board for months, received countless warnings and even a ban for their uncouth manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
PoisonedV said:
There is a double standard in these forums.
I think there is quite a difference between a careless first-time poster who learns their mistake and someone who has been on the board for months, received countless warnings and even a ban for their uncouth manner.

chads signature

i also love how he says "How do you expect people to lay out $330 or €200 for a product that they've never seen in its final form" even though no one has ordered one yet. you cant complain about not getting information on the device when preorders arent even open

GunPei2X said:
Poisoned was referring to a quote in chad's sig.

Honestly, in response to that, I have many complaints about my GP2X and many complaints about how GPH handled its release (I waited months for my unit, after I had preordered), and I'm sure many others did as well. Theres a damn good reason for the GPH hate around here, and that will disappear only when they start "getting it right". This mentality has made the Pandora into an idol of sorts, where there is a very visible pattern of pro-Pandora and anti-GPH on these forums. Members want a different approach, regardless of who does it. The Pandora is a very different approach, so members tend to be hostile towards criticism. There's certainly truth in the statement. There /is/ a fanboyish atmosphere here.

However, chad, the truth in that statement has close to nothing to do with how people respond to you here. Why don't you look back at the responses to Quasist' posts? You'll see he gets an entirely different reaction here than you. Why do you think? You act like an ass, that is why.

You all claim to be so busy. Busy doing what? You've got nothing to show for it.

Where is the video? Where's the screen shot? Where is anything?
You could have phrased it /slightly/ differently and had a massively different response:QUOTE
You all say you're busy. What are you up to now? We haven't seen anything lately.

Any new videos, screenshots, anything?
Look! I said EXACTLY what you said, but in a non-asshole manner. I almost cannot believe it myself.

I'll answer your last question. "Where is anything?"
Here. Do your math, and look at how often there has been updates.

chad78 said:
How do you expect people to lay out $330 or €200 for a product that they've never seen in its final form, a product that has never been completely demonstrated, a product that doesn't have a GUI that anyone has seen (...) Even showing a beta or a prototype wouldn't be enough for Nintendo, Apple, Sony, or anybody else. Why should you expect people to trust you even more than people who have been doing this for decades?
I completely agree with chad78. No technical reviews on the real thing, the same crappy, dizzy videos that we saw months ago (can you tell the difference between this and this?), no sound, no speed limit (it's funny once, it's annoying the tenth time). No OS info, no GUI, no Wifi/bluetooth status, no even keyboard status...

I find those "when can i preorder?" posts really sad. Please, keep your criticism level a bit over your socks. Please.

Agreed. I think that they've either got a hell of a lot to show before the 30th, or it will be delayed yet again. Given the track record of this project, the latter is much more likely.

It's funny how one statement asking for new information has elicited two pages of responses, not one from the intended targets of the statement.

I may as well throw in my $.02 as well:

These guys know what they're doing. I don't think anyone is trying to lie or cheat any of us. There is no way we will make the development go any faster at this point. It's out of our control.

What is in our control is our decision whether or not to purchase the handheld. That's it. If anyone feels they were cheated because a certain deadline was not met, that's fine. Nobody is forcing you to pull the trigger.

I am willing to bet the vast majority of us already know if we'll be buying one, if it's the 30th, as in best case scenario, or months later.

It's in the best interest of the devs to have it released in a timely manner as to not be beaten to the punch. And it is the right of the devs to release info as they please.

We're all excited. It's getting close. Patience will pay off. And before we know it some of us will have a new toy and forget all about the anticipation we've been through.

WizardStan said:
When you say "we should have something to show this week" and then just disappear for a month or so, it looks fairly unprofessional.
The professional approach would be to wait until you actually have it before announcing it, but it seems the team here would rather be more open and responsive to it`s audience. That`s good. Anyway, it`s not like they`ve got a PR department to manage this stuff ...

If you don`t think they`ve shown enough video evidence, then just don`t preorder the thing

To ALL those responsible for the Pandora:

There are many who still believe in you. Those that want it will wait like we have been. The only thing we want is a working product in our hands when we excitedly open the package it comes in. Keep doing what you're doing, we're not going anywhere...

lucidchaos said:
It's funny how one statement asking for new information has elicited two pages of responses, not one from the intended targets of the statement.
Well, in both cases it's more to do with the person who made the post. He has a 'colorful' history on this board :D

Often when the Pandoras devs are completely silent about something it's because they're working on it and will wow you in a few days, so maybe that will happen here.

I'm not bothered. If there aren't any vids etc when the preorders open I probably won't preorder, but until that day comes it's irrelevent to me--I already know enough that I'm very interested to see the final product.

The issue is that some of you are clearly bent out of shape because there have not been many major updates lately. I'm going to explain why, though a modicum of common sense and a bit of deductive reasoning would have led you these answers.

1. There are no videos of the GUI because it is not finished. There is nothing to show yet. I honestly don't know what Craig had intended to show a couple months ago, but whatever it was has been scrapped and the current UI is not in a displayable state.

2. There is no sound in any of the videos because the sound does not work yet. It is not an insurmountable issue (the Beagleboard guys are working on it too), but it is an issue.

3. These issues (and others) may or may not push the pre-order date back past the 30th. They will probably not push back the ship date.

4. As stated more times than I can count, from the very beginning of the project, the Pandora will ship when it is ready, and not before. If it's not ready until some time next year, that is when it will ship. If that is unacceptable to you, go buy something else. They will not sell a half-assed device just because you're impatient.

5. No amount of whining, pleading or demanding is going to make anything happen any faster than it already is. Nearly everybody working on the project is an unpaid volunteer. How do you think it makes somebody feel when, after putting in dozens of hours their free time on a project, they hear people complain that they're not working fast enough?

When there are further updates, they will be posted.

EDIT: Apparently this thread got even more out of hand while I was writing this post. The thread is now locked and all posts that were not relevant to the topic have been buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back