Bounty: Lil Red Notebook

Sounds like it could be workable. The idea, then, would be to have 26 different files one for each letter of the alphabet, and do my search by name of diagnosis - since that is normally what I would have, anyway.

I'm not looking to have an EXTENSIVE listing of all the codes, that's what my 14 pound books are for.

But there are occasions where I have to go directly into a doctor's office and work there for a day, instead of my home office - primarily due to the need to have accewss to records. and I really don't feel like lugging my book along on these trips.

So if I can get my most frequestly coded diagnoses into a nice little pocket thing like this it would be very convenient.

Some might need double entries this way, for example, under H for Heart Attack and under M for Myocardial Infarction which is of course the same thing. But no biggie. this could work out for what I have in mind since, as I say, I do not need EXTENSIVE entries...just the ones I am most likely to encounter.

The few that I may not yet have in the system I'm carrying I can always Google for them.
Basically you want www.evernote.com

If the doctors you work on location have generally have wifi you can use the browser version.

If you haven't looked at it yet I can strongly advice you to do, it's a brilliant app and works on every major platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. I was thinking the same thing, but Evernote will be a bit cumbersome for what she is trying to do. I use an app called Growly Notes on my mac that is a One Note clone. It would work well, but is not open source. I suggest that you google "one note Linux". I saw a couple of possibilities (zNotes, etc.) that should be better candidates for porting. I am a very satisfied Evernote user for my course work, dissertation, etc. but I don't think it is a good fit here. I actually haven't used EverNote on my P, but will try it out this evening.

Most of those look very similar to NoteCasePro which we already have.

I MIGHT be able to use NoteCasePro, but it isn't QUITE what I had in mind....unless someone can come up with something closer to what I did have in mind.

RedNotebook could work if you did not HAVE to tie everything to a date.

hey kumaki. i'd might be interested in makíing it from ground up but i need to get exact info how it heed to work and exact visual concept of a gui (even if its made in ms paint :) ).

pm me

I did a quick search on "Linux tabbed note-taking programs"

This one seems the closest to what I actually want...it isn't quite what I had in mind either, but I might could be able to make it work.

http://whizfolders-organizer-pro.software.informer.com/

If someone can't come up with something better, and this could be ported and I find I can use it - this would work out.
SQLiteStudio will do the job standing on its head. It will be coming to the repo over the weekend.

Each of your worksheets could be stored as a simple, single table. You could then use a really easy SQL select to look up your codes on the appropriate table - or even use a simple filter. Job done.

It may even be possible to be more clever, and build a proper little DB using less tables rather than replicate how you currently work.

Does your data exist in a spreadsheet form already? I only ask because that would make populating a SQLite DB very easy.....

This one seems the closest to what I actually want...it isn't quite what I had in mind either, but I might could be able to make it work.

If someone can't come up with something better, and this could be ported and I find I can use it - this would work out.
Given that it appears to be commercial and closed-source, it would be very hard to port.

In general, things can only be ported to the pandora if they're open-source, or the dev is personally interesting in this project.

+2 for emacs org-mode! I use that for my hobby project management, very useful. I really like how it's just a textfile, after all.

Not sure if it helps with the problem at hand, though ;)

SQLiteStudio will do the job standing on its head. It will be coming to the repo over the weekend.

Each of your worksheets could be stored as a simple, single table. You could then use a really easy SQL select to look up your codes on the appropriate table - or even use a simple filter. Job done.

It may even be possible to be more clever, and build a proper little DB using less tables rather than replicate how you currently work.

Does your data exist in a spreadsheet form already? I only ask because that would make populating a SQLite DB very easy.....
No, I need to create my data as I go.

What I am doing is cross-referencing ICD9/ICD10 coding with Alternative Terminology used by different physicians.

I am making a notebook, of sorts, of certain common coding.

emacs...looks like way overkill for what

I am trying to do...

SQLite Studio...looks to be about as close as I'm going to get to what I am wanting...if I can figure out how to input all my data into a useable format.

This one I would have to play with...but it looks to be the most likely candidate yet.

Kumaki please create sleek design.doc with all info required for developer to consider / implement and please take your time and create a sketch of gui and what options (buttons) shoud this app have..... Without it i dont think i'll be able to start anything. Its your idea , so idea should be well designed "on a paper" for devs otherwise you will get uncomplete app from not properly created/exposed idea.

@Commander-beef: Nope, go ahead if you like... (was doing it for bounty to preorders, but if you want it for yourself, then I step down, if you want to help de preorder fund too, then lets race...)

Kumaki please create sleek design.doc with all info required for developer to consider / implement and please take your time and create a sketch of gui and what options (buttons) shoud this app have..... Without it i dont think i'll be able to start anything. Its your idea , so idea should be well designed "on a paper" for devs otherwise you will get uncomplete app from not properly created/exposed idea.
Unfortunately, I have little experience drawing up what it is you want.  I PM'd you to the effect that, what I first posted on this thread, the Commercial app...was basically about what I wanted, if something similar could be created...but apparently this is not helpful to you in designing something.  I do not make a habit of commissioning apps, so thus have no idea what a "design.doc" or "sketch of a gui" would look like.

Mapping between ICD10 and ICD9:

http://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/data-references/mapping-tools/mapping-between-icd-10-and-icd-9

or this one, but seems lower quality (only 1 to 1 conversion):

http://www.tdrdata.com/ipd/ipd_ICD10ToICD9List.aspx

and the new code descriptions:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm

For completeness, this should be findable:

S93.02XA Subluxation of left ankle joint (S93.02), initial encounter (XA)
FBnil found something that is what I am looking for, almost perfectly...except, I would not need to add the info in, since it would already be in there.

I could, of course, muck around later with the Excel files to create my own notes where needed....but, yeah, this is totally helpful to me.

Now, for an app that would pull all those together in one easy to use lookup tool....

I'm still on for a $50 Bounty on this, either to dev or to pre-order fund, as choice of the dev.

Unfortunately, I have little experience drawing up what it is you want.  I PM'd you to the effect that, what I first posted on this thread, the Commercial app...was basically about what I wanted, if something similar could be created...but apparently this is not helpful to you in designing something.  I do not make a habit of commissioning apps, so thus have no idea what a "design.doc" or "sketch of a gui" would look like.
Just a quick link:

http://www.bytesizeadventures.com/blog/app-development-the-design-document/

OK, beef.  This should not be too difficult, then.

This app allows one to lookup a diagnosis, and cross-reference the IDC9 code and the new ICD10 codes for that diagnosis.  It also allows lookup by ICD9 or by ICD10 code.

It uses Excel spreadsheets to contain the data, and searches these Spreadsheets for the requested index.

Audience

This app is specifically for medical billers and coders.  This handy app allows for coding references to be kept in the pocket, rather than lugging around 14-pound books.

Experience

This app is very user-friendly, simply choose which index you want to search by, and press your Search key, and get the cross-referenced information.  It also will allow for user, in a special mode, to add/change/delete data in the Excel Spreadsheets, to allow for the addition of Alternative/common usage terminology, e.g. adding the term "heart attack" under the listing for "myocardial infarction" and if searching by diagnosis name, it will recognize either term entered, and produce the correct cross-reference codes.

How It Will Be Used

It will be used by medical billers and coders who are independent contractors, and who therefore work out of more than one office.  This app will allow them to have their reference materials right at their fingertips in an easy-to-carry format.

Features:

1. Allows lookup by any of three different indices, and returns the correct cross-referenced codes/diagnoses.

2. Allows for add/change/delete information so that common terminology can be added - e.g. "Prostate Cancer" could be added to the line for "Malig. Neo Prostate" - and the app would be able to search either term to produce the correct codes.

Does that about do it?

Back