Bounty: Lil Red Notebook

I pulled this out by merging ICD10 and ICD9 with shortened and long text, it looks like this:

fbnil@opan:~/Documents/Projects/Pandora/pygrep/ICD10$ head icd10cm.txt
=A00.  Cholera          Cholera
 A00.0 001.0 Cholera due to Vibrio cholerae 01, biovar cholerae         Cholera due to Vibrio cholerae 01, biovar cholerae
 A00.1 001.1 Cholera due to Vibrio cholerae 01, biovar eltor            Cholera due to Vibrio cholerae 01, biovar eltor
 A00.9 001.9 Cholera, unspecified               Cholera, unspecified
=A01.  Typhoid and paratyphoid fevers           Typhoid and paratyphoid fevers
-A01.0 002.0 Typhoid fever              Typhoid fever
 A01.00 002.0 Typhoid fever, unspecified                Typhoid fever, unspecified
 A01.01 002.0 Typhoid meningitis                Typhoid meningitis
 A01.02 002.0 Typhoid fever with heart involvement              Typhoid fever with heart involvement
 A01.03 002.0 Typhoid pneumonia         Typhoid pneumonia
 A01.04 002.0 Typhoid arthritis         Typhoid arthritis
 A01.05 002.0 Typhoid osteomyelitis             Typhoid osteomyelitis
 A01.09 002.0 Typhoid fever with other complications            Typhoid fever with other complications
 A01.1 002.1 Paratyphoid fever A                Paratyphoid fever A
 A01.2 002.2 Paratyphoid fever B                Paratyphoid fever B
 A01.3 002.3 Paratyphoid fever C                Paratyphoid fever C
 A01.4 002.9 Paratyphoid fever, unspecified             Paratyphoid fever, unspecified

=A02.  Other salmonella infections              Other salmonella infections
 A02.0 003.0 / 008.1 Salmonella enteritis               Salmonella enteritis
 A02.1 003.1 / 995.91 Salmonella sepsis         Salmonella sepsis
-A02.2 003.20 / 003.29 Localized salmonella infections          Localized salmonella infections
 A02.20 003.20 Localized salmonella infection, unspecified              Localized salmonella infection, unspecified
 A02.21 003.21 Salmonella meningitis            Salmonella meningitis
 A02.22 003.22 Salmonella pneumonia             Salmonella pneumonia
 A02.23 003.23 Salmonella arthritis             Salmonella arthritis
 A02.24 003.24 Salmonella osteomyelitis         Salmonella osteomyelitis
 A02.25 003.29 Salmonella pyelonephritis                Salmonella pyelonephritis
 A02.29 003.29 Salmonella with other localized infection                Salmonella with other localized infection
 A02.8 003.8 Other specified salmonella infections              Other specified salmonella infections
 A02.9 003.9 Salmonella infection, unspecified          Salmonella infection, unspecified

And contains some of the crosslinks (first pass)...

Really, 13 megs of text, could be shortened to 8 if we remove the shortened version of the text, which always looks similar.

To keep on the example, it pulls out this line:

S93.02XA 837.0 Subluxation of left ankle joint, initial encounter              Subluxation of left ankle joint, initial encounter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... as for Prostate Cancer, searching on that only throws one of the raw files:

ICD10CM_FY2014_Full_XML_Tabular.xml:              <note>personal history of prostate cancer (Z85.46)</note>
With which you can search the code in the generated file:

icd10cm.txt: Z85.46 V10.46 Personal history of malignant neoplasm of prostate           Personal history of malignant neoplasm of prostate
The processing of the XML file is harder than I thought... for example, searching for "heart" && "attack" gives this (no code at all):

ICD10CM_FY2014_Full_XML_DIndex.xml:      <title>Angina<nemod>(attack) (cardiac) (chest) (heart) (pectoris) (syndrome) (vasomotor)</nemod></title>
ICD10CM_FY2014_Full_XML_Tabular.xml:          <note>Category Y93 is provided for use to indicate the activity of the person seeking healthcare for an injury or health condition, such as a heart attack while shoveling snow, which resulted from, or was contributed to, by the activity.  These codes are appropriate for use for both acute injuries, such as those from chapter 19, and conditions that are due to the long-term, cumulative effects of an activity, such as those from chapter 13.  They are also appropriate for use with external cause codes for cause and intent if identifying the activity provides additional information on the event.  These codes should be used in conjunction with codes for external cause status (Y99) and place of occurrence (Y92).</note>
while myocardial infarction gives loads and loads of codes... one will need to add the nemod tag as tertiary text (or replace the secondary)?

And here a good example of shortened text and the longer version:

=I21.  STEMI & NSTEMI mocard infrc              ST elevation (STEMI) and non-ST elevation (NSTEMI) myocardial infarction

-I21.0 410.00 / 410.01 / 410.02 / 410.10 / 410.11 / 410.12 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction of anterior wall          ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction of anterior wall
 I21.01 410.11 STEMI involving left main coronary artery                ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction involving left main coronary artery

Well, naptime for Yurp dwellers. 'beef, pm/email me if you need help with the data.

Well, there you go.  Obviously, y'all can do the best you can, and I, myself, may need to muck around with the data files myslef after all is said and done.

Malignasnt neoplasm of prostate, on ICD9 would be 185.0 - "personal history of" is a different diagnosis.

Similarly, on the subluxation of left ankle joint, initial encounter adds the "XA" but if it was subsequent, the "XA" would not have been added.

ICD10 is a real pain in the butt.

You see why we otherwise have to carry around 14-pound books?

And I'm not exaggerating, I weighed them.

hm... yes, but why is Z85.46 not somehow linked to C48.0, which is the correct code, I assume:

C48.0 158.0 Malignant neoplasm of retroperitoneum              Malignant neoplasm of retroperitoneum

however, that code is less specific to the neoplasmic area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroperitoneal_space

hm... yes, but why is Z85.46 not somehow linked to C48.0, which is the correct code, I assume:

C48.0 158.0 Malignant neoplasm of retroperitoneum              Malignant neoplasm of retroperitoneum

however, that code is less specific to the neoplasmic area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroperitoneal_space
And this is JUST the problem with ICD-10 is the level of specificity.

This is designed by people who do not actually look at doctor's notes.  They are often very NON-specific.

We have about a year to retrain our doctors.

Back