Box86 - Linux Userspace x86 Emulator

@ptitSeb i don't know if you were aware of this....but your work is mentioned here on AmpereComputing

Can anyone provide a compiled binary PND for Box86 on Pandora? I've never compiled anything before so not sure where to start!
Would like to see if I can launch the latest Linux pico-8

It's not hard to compile, you can do it with the beta Code Blocks PND and a few command lines.
I was able to run a linux version of Pico-8 but I haven't tried with the last one.

Reactions: rSl
I'd love to give it a try! Are there any instructions for compiling? Thank you

Make sure to use the beta version of the Code Blocks PND : https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/ptitsebs-beta-lair.77439/
You then start the command line, move to the directory where you want to store the box86 project and type:
Bash:
git clone https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86
cd box86
mkdir build; cd build; cmake .. -DPANDORA=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo; make
It'll generate the executable in the build directory.

You'll need the gl4es libGL.so.1. I think there's one in the Code Blocks PND but you can also compile it: https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es

You'll need some libraries as well in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH. They should be already configured in the CodeBlocks PND command line, so you should be able to start pico8 from there, but if you want to start it from a regular terminal you'll need to either copy the required libs to a directory and set it in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable or to copy them inside the same directory as the pico8 executable.

Thank you! Going to give it a try this afternoon!
Post automatically merged:

Oh no @ElPoco the beta codeblocks download is no longer available!

@ElPoco I think I'm close to getting latest Pico8 to work... Compiled box86 and gl4es, put them both alongside the pico8 executable.
It's now complaining about SDL initialization and missing libudev.so.1
Any ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: rSl
Yes you'll need the (x86) libs required by pico8 in a path set in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or in the same directory as the pico8 executable.
Some libs can be found in the Codeblocks pnd (I don't remember where exactly), others you'll have to get from some linux distribution.

Not sure if you still like hearing about box86/64 being used out in the wild.

Linus Tech Tips on the MilkV Pioneer

I was surprised to hear them point out that box64 wasn't going to run steam then ignore box86. Was tempted to point it out but I haven't played around in that space.
Also the first time I noticed the second t in your name >.<

Not sure if you still like hearing about box86/64 being used out in the wild.

Oh yes, of course I do :D!

Linus Tech Tips on the MilkV Pioneer

I was surprised to hear them point out that box64 wasn't going to run steam then ignore box86. Was tempted to point it out but I haven't played around in that space.
Yeah, I have seen that video. Box86 is not available on RiSC-V, because it's a 32bits only app, and thoses board are 64bits only (there might be 32bits core but it's not for user space). Steam for now is still complicated to get running on 64bits only system. The current beest solution is using Wine and the Experimental Wow64 stuffs, that allows 32bits programs to run with 64bits only OS. Box64 is compatible with that, but steam is still unstable on that on ARM64 platform, and is not currently running on RiSC-V (we are working on that).
You can notice Euro Truck Simulator 2 running at the end of the video, and that's certainly the Linux build running with Box64, so stuffs are running!

Also the first time I noticed the second t in your name >.<
Yeah, my nickname is often misspelled, I should have think of something simpler... But it's too late now. I often see "pitSeb" as pit seb, but it's ptitSeb (it's a french nickname).

Back