C.e. Test Booked For 14 Oct 2009

Agreed in regards of power supply units, thats really a non-issue.

As long as some of us get the unit I don't mine waiting a bit longer to receive mine, FCC process is definitely a bit more involved:
The FCC under rule part 15 tells us that most electronic devices need to either be verified to not cause harmful emissions or need to be certified to not cause harmful emissions.

The difference between Verification and Certification:

Verification
The verification process is typically the creation of a Declaration of conformity stating that the emissions limits are within the FCC Part 15 rules. Devices that are not intentional transmitters would typically get a FCC Part 15 Declaration of Conformity by submitting their device to an accredited Test Laboratory, having the device tested, and then receiving a test report and Declaration of Conformity.

Certification
The FCC has decided that all devices that are intentional radiators, in the governed frequency spectrum, must receive a certification. This is a slightly more complex process where an accredited Test Lab typically will test the unit; the completed test report must be submitted to the FCC for approval.

The complete FCC Certification process will typically follow these steps:
The manufacturer will authorize the Test Lab to apply for a FCC Grantee Code.
The manufacturer will receive the Grantee code from the FCC.
The Manufacturer will submit their device to an accredited Test Lab for evaluation.
The appropriate testing will be performed, per appropriate standards.
The Test Lab will create a test report which details the tests performed, results and equipment used.
The test report, along other documentation, will be submitted to the FCC for approval.
The FCC typically takes 8-12 weeks to respond to certification requests.
Optional steps in the process

Confidentiality
The manufacturer may request Confidentiality of the information from the FCC. This usually involves an additional $155 filing fee. If Confidentiality is not requested, all documentation will appear on the FCC website at the time the certification is granted. With the optional fee, the manufacturer can typically eliminate all design documents from this posting process.

TCB – Expediting the process
Due to the 8-12 week delay in the certification process, the FCC realized that a more expedited process was needed. They have authorized several private organizations to issue certifications. There are some types of devices that still must be submitted to the FCC, however in most cases, devices can be approved via a TCB.

Submitting a grant request through a TCB can significantly improve the time frame for obtaining a certification. In most cases, it only takes 1-2 weeks to obtain an approval from a TCB.

Note: Once obtaining approval from the TCB, the manufacturer can begin marketing the device immediately. The FCC does occasionally audit grants. If the grant is less than thirty days old and the device is non-compliant, the FCC can set aside the grant. For grants older then 30 days and is non-compliant, the FCC will work with the TCB and the Manufacturer to resolve the problem of non-compliance. After thirty days, the grant cannot be set aside, but the non-compliance issue still must be resolved.

Summary
An independent test laboratory, working closely with a TCB, can greatly simplify the verification and/or certification process. Their expertise in understanding the FCC rules, can guide a manufacturer to a successful certification. In addition, the paper work required of the manufacturer is significantly reduced. Your time to market can be substantially reduced by choosing the right independent test laboratory for your FCC certification.

Our partner laboratory has thousands of successful certifications. They work closely with the FCC to understand the appropriate rules and to ensure our clients applications are processed seamlessly. Each application includes a pre-project review with the client, regular status updates throughout the test cycle, notification of any issues or problems, and notification that the grant has been accepted. We look forward to working with you to ensure your verification or certification is rapid, successful and stress free.

For additional information on the certification of low power transmitters in the US, Canada and the European Economic Community, please follow the link to our power point presentation:
Source http://www.agiletestgroup.com/site/fcccompliance.html

The FCC typically takes 8-12 weeks to respond to certification requests.
TCB – Expediting the process
Submitting a grant request through a TCB can significantly improve the time frame for obtaining a certification. In most cases, it only takes 1-2 weeks to obtain an approval from a TCB.

Ouch. Does that include the aforementioned steps required before you submit to the FCC?

The manufacturer will authorize the Test Lab to apply for a FCC Grantee Code.
The manufacturer will receive the Grantee code from the FCC.
The Manufacturer will submit their device to an accredited Test Lab for evaluation.
The appropriate testing will be performed, per appropriate standards.
The Test Lab will create a test report which details the tests performed, results and equipment used.
The test report, along other documentation, will be submitted to the FCC for approval.

Quite a delay.

D.

hmm, i believe that most of that can be put aside if the transmiters (Wifi & BT) are already certified by the fcc something i dont know.

DroneB Dev said:
hmm, i believe that most of that can be put aside if the transmiters (Wifi & BT) are already certified by the fcc something i dont know.

I believe you are correct. From what I remember, the wireless chipset has already been approved by FCC.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the pandora passe CE testing, then it will also pass FCC testing. The unintentional emissions testing is very similar to the FCC Part 15 testing and evaluation.

The qouted info simply say's that if you choose one of those "approved" labs (TCB) the whole FCC stuff should take 1 to 2 weeks, not 8 to 12.

to qoute a cover on silly book "don't panic" :)

VRAndy said:
In this case it probably means "All parts required for the assembling the motherboards."

Yes, exactly. :)

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear here. I thought I did by also telling you we're just waiting for the cases.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
VRAndy said:
In this case it probably means "All parts required for the assembling the motherboards."

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear here. I thought I did by also telling you we're just waiting for the cases.

So that means Open Pandora has 4000 batteries and 4000 keymats already completed and in their possession?

jb0yx said:
am I the only person thought my posts were funny? I guess making one's self laugh is a virtue.

That's it... packing my bags, i'm going home
[sub]Good job ignoring jb0yx guys; keep it up.[/sub]

greendots said:
So that means Open Pandora has 4000 batteries and 4000 keymats already completed and in their possession?
no, they have all the parts to assemble the motherboards, capacitors chips etc.
i doubt they have the batteries produced, as it is bad for them to just sit for months at a time
the keymats that MWeston got were final samples, "Keymat production - Prepared. Can start together with the case production."
http://pandorapress.net/roadmap/

disclaimer - i think ;)

i cant believe how far and bent a statement can get from diferent interpretations XD, everyone should stop speculating.

BTW what happened with the burn in test?

i havent seen any solid statement about em, i barely recall some "we havent found any issues till now" or sort of.

but are they over yet? or still pumping those boards untill they scream stop?

DroneB Dev said:
i cant believe how far and bent a statement can get from diferent interpretations XD, everyone should stop speculating.
thats normal on this forum

Yeah speculation is normal :).

Some things to note:

*It does not take 8-12 weeks to test products for FCC certification. In essence, that is pretty much an estimate for how long it take the main offices to respond to a request to test a product, in shorter terms- a waiting list. That is only the case if you want to get certified directly from the sources. This is America we are talking about a very large country with a lot of products.

*There are FCC accredited certification labs all over the country (and a few near the manufacture IIRC). This is probably allot similar to the CE offices that ED is scheduled for.

nothing to worry about B)

greendots said:
EvilDragon said:
VRAndy said:

Keymats are part of the case, but we do have 4000 batteries, LCDs, LCD Ribbon cables, nubs and everything else to produce 4000 fully working caseless Pandoras, yes.

Last edited:
hobbyman II said:
what`s all the fuss about power supplies?, stuff like that you can order by the thousand online and they send em by next-day delivery, not an issue.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25017

http://www.order-bulk.com/UK-PSP-3000-PARTS-AC-ADAPTER-POWER-SUPPLY.html?currency=GBP

https://www.modernacc.com/products.php?product=Universal-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Wall-Charger-Adapter-for-Sony-PSP-{47}-PSP%252d2000-{47}-PSP%252d3000

prolly be able to get a PSP power supply from AliBaba or somewhere for a couple of quid each anyway if they buy bulk, not a problem.

IIRC both Craig and MWeston have mentioned that you CAN get PSUs by the truckload for a couple of quid each, and be crap. So crap that one MWeston tested wasn't even stable enough for the Pandora to boot into Linux.

It's not that they can get cheap PSUs quickly that's the concern. It's that they get the RIGHT PSUs promptly.

IMHO.

WizardStan said:
jb0yx said:
am I the only person thought my posts were funny? I guess making one's self laugh is a virtue.

That's it... packing my bags, i'm going home
Don't sweat it. No one ever laughs at my jokes, either.

Oh I dunno. The board isn't very pro-humour so I tend not to LOL unless I am VERY amused or have something else to say at the same time - I don't want to wind up any of the stuffed shirts around here by "flooding" the forum with "LOL" posts ;)

If you're funny, you know it - you don't need constant back-patting. Though the occasional chuckle is nice feedback, I must admit :D

Monk said:
Oh I dunno. The board isn't very pro-humour so I tend not to LOL unless I am VERY amused or have something else to say at the same time - I don't want to wind up any of the stuffed shirts around here by "flooding" the forum with "LOL" posts ;)

If you're funny, you know it - you don't need constant back-patting. Though the occasional chuckle is nice feedback, I must admit :D
i wasn't expecting a lol or chuckle exactly... just anything really.... Just thought it was strange nobody acknologed commented or re-iterated or drew it out at least one post. I've seen mile long train of posts saying the exact same thing in reference to some dumbass question someone has. And my slightly ammusing post got nothing untill I said something about it.

Ain't no big deal. I laughed and that's all that really matters.

jb0yx said:
Ain't no big deal. I laughed and that's all that really matters.

It's a good start. Trust me, if you're not amuisng anyone the board will find a way to let you know... :(

There's a lot more negative feedback than positive, at times.

And yay for Dunny's funnier reply!

err... I was posting anyway... ;)

EvilDragon said:
greendots said:
EvilDragon said:
VRAndy said:

Keymats are part of the case, but we do have 4000 batteries, LCDs, LCD Ribbon cables, nubs and everything else to produce 4000 fully working caseless Pandoras, yes.

Thanks for the info, then there are all parts except for the power suplyes, the cases and the keyboard ( wich is the same factory who build them )right?

BTW im curious in one thing, how are you guys gonna make 4000 manuals, burn in 4000 cd's, ( and send those 4000 ? ) before xmas?

Back