C.e. Test Booked For 14 Oct 2009

EvilDragon said:
...we do have 4000 batteries, LCDs, LCD Ribbon cables, nubs and everything else...

Oh no! Our Pandoras will only each have one nub! Poor li'l Pandoras... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
wermy said:
Oh no! Our Pandoras will only each have one nub! Poor li'l Pandoras... ;)
What did you expect? Yeti nipples are hard to come by!

guizm said:
BTW im curious in one thing, how are you guys gonna make 4000 manuals, burn in 4000 cd's, ( and send those 4000 ? ) before xmas?

5000 booklets with 8 pages do cost approximately 400 EUR and can be printed within one week ;)

I DO hope xmas isn't next week :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
guizm said:
BTW im curious in one thing, how are you guys gonna make 4000 manuals, burn in 4000 cd's, ( and send those 4000 ? ) before xmas?

5000 booklets with 8 pages do cost approximately 400 EUR and can be printed within one week ;)

I DO hope xmas isn't next week :D
As for FCC testing, is it the same lab/company/guy/place? Some of remember it being said so, but there has been some contention.

BackAssward said:
As for FCC testing, is it the same lab/company/guy/place? Some of remember it being said so, but there has been some contention.

Nope. This is just a quick test so we can produce the boards. The full test does cost a few thousand Euros more because it's more accurate.
The full FCC / CE testing will be done once I got a final unit, not one with the prototype casing.

Last edited:
So EvilDragon, is will we see some pics of the recent arrival this weekend? ;)

EvilDragon said:
BackAssward said:

Nope. This is just a quick test so we can produce the boards. The full test does cost a few thousand Euros more because it's more accurate.
The full FCC / CE testing will be done once I got a final unit, not one with the prototype casing.
Ed, I understand this test is just a quick one (for pre CE testing). The question is, is it the same guy/lab/place that will ultimately to the full testing, for both CE and FCC?

B.

BackAssward said:
EvilDragon said:
BackAssward said:

Ed, I understand this test is just a quick one (for pre CE testing). The question is, is it the same guy/lab/place that will ultimately to the full testing, for both CE and FCC?

B.
Maybe same guy for CE lab, but I highly doubt it's for FCC that's here in North America ("here" being my where I reside) At most the guy he was referring to just mainly provided the team information on both processes.

Edit:Then again there actually are foreign labs accredited for FCC testing and they are able to do most things that the main labs would have done anyway the only major difference is, it must be in English, and that payments must be made in USD from an American bank. Parts 15 and 18 does have it's leniencies.

EvilDragon said:
BackAssward said:

a few tousand €, whoa, thats quite expensive, and than the thing whit the 250€ preorderers, and the pandora coast 300€, 50€ devizid, per pandora, thats very bad, how can you guys this pay?, it is part of the calkulation?

I hope the follow batches will bring more profit, so you can life from the pandora,

matzesu said:
I hope the follow batches will bring more profit, so you can life from the pandora,

That is their hope. They have spent quite a lot in developing the Pandora, and IIRC do not (now!) expect to make a profit from the first OR second batch - but later batches should be in profit. Hopefully.

Had the financial crisis not hit, or had they managed to charge Apple/SONY type prices and got the same level of customer interest, they would be in profit a lot quicker. Still, very few companies hit profit in their first year due to startup costs, so this comes as no surprise to them I am sure.

I am all for the Pandora being a runaway success! I'm low on funds and I STILL keep thinking it'd be nice if I could buy a second one :)

So, one of the 105 will be needed for submitting to 'real' CE & FCC tests before any further mass production can begin?

Asmo said:
So, one of the 105 will be needed for submitting to 'real' CE & FCC tests before any further mass production can begin?
No, the quick test that ED is doing this Wednesday is supposed to confirm everything will be ok, so they can go forward with mass production without the complete approval. ie, if it passes on a board with a prototype case, it will definitely pass once the final is inside the case, so why wait?

Asmo said:

I think that's the point of this early test. They want to make sure that it will pass before they mass produce a ton of parts. So, pandora passes this test, then they mass produce the boards and cases, then as the first MP cases come in, they can get the real CE and FCC tests done.

emil10001 said:
Asmo said:

I think that's the point of this early test. They want to make sure that it will pass before they mass produce a ton of parts. So, pandora passes this test, then they mass produce the boards and cases, then as the first MP cases come in, they can get the real CE and FCC tests done.

Eeeexactly :)

Last edited:
This test scheduled to 14 Oct is the PRE CE or the TRUE CE test already?

I mean... This is our limiting factor now... I wander if we can get our pandoras before the end of november...

IIRC it is the Pre- CE, just so they can safely go on and do the mass production of the rest of the boards, and then put the new case on them. Their next step is to take it back in with the new case and get it certified

Near-kun said:
This test scheduled to 14 Oct is the PRE CE or the TRUE CE test already?

I mean... This is our limiting factor now... I wander if we can get our pandoras before the end of november...

It is the "pre" CE test. This is the one that gives them the "it's all clear, go ahead and make another 3895 boards because they will pass CE tests just like this one did" confirmation. Assuming this prototype passes CE testing, it would have to be faulty (or the case react significantly differently to the final case) for it to pass yet an "actual" final unit fail (same board, only the case is slightly different. Oh - and the keymat). They're pretty confident already, but a few thousand euros is probably worth it just to be REALLY sure before having nearly 4000 more boards made up for considerably more $.

Back