Case closed?

What could possibly go wrong? :)

We have been here many times before. Perhaps it should not, but somehow it will (two months™). I am not holding my breath.
its not all the molds .. it will probably be only 1 mould that requires change. case bottom would be 1 set of molds, keyboard another, lid another and insert another. all the small parts like the stylus, buttons,stylus,stylus cover and nubs are more than likely to be on their own mold set. so that is the only one to require any changes.

show a bit of faith in our fearless Dragon Leader guys...
[doublepost=1521455893,1521455645][/doublepost]
This would be nice in a future PYRA CPU board. We could use the AI to create a simulated ED within the system :)

aint no way that is going to fit in a pyra case...and i mean the chip not that dev board. the TDP alone is way too high for any cooling solution that could fit inside the Pyra case.

We could use the AI to create a simulated ED within the system :)
EvilDragon, your new Bonzi Buddy replacement.
  • It sings in two languages!
  • It tells you your CPU and Memory usage!
  • It tells you how much battery you have left!
  • It sneers at your pathetic code and rewrites it for you while you sleep!
  • It hooks you up with craft German beer! Woohoohoo, Oktoberfest!
  • Made by Germans, you know the Germans always make good stuff!
...Yes, a Bonzi Buddy reference, a Tf2 reference, and a Shamwow reference in the same post. I'm showing my internet age, and to an extent, my age in general.

EvilDragon, your new Bonzi Buddy replacement.
  • It sings in two languages!
  • It tells you your CPU and Memory usage!
  • It tells you how much battery you have left!
  • It sneers at your pathetic code and rewrites it for you while you sleep!
  • It hooks you up with craft German beer! Woohoohoo, Oktoberfest!
  • Made by Germans, you know the Germans always make good stuff!
...Yes, a Bonzi Buddy reference, a Tf2 reference, and a Shamwow reference in the same post. I'm showing my internet age, and to an extent, my age in general.

You forgot a motherfucking jojo reference. Downvoted.

This would be nice in a future PYRA CPU board. We could use the AI to create a simulated ED within the system :)
WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME? __

And now I'm showing my age with an early Matthew Broderick reference

I'm sure quite a lot of this neural net stuff is going to be revealed as snake oil sooner or later. Convolutional neural networks for example that take a 1080p image then map it down to a 3x3 grid before being mapped out again, which they claim is able to retain a lot of information - sounds suspicious. And so many of these systems I've seen fall over when presented with something outside the training data set, such as a person wearing glasses for these face processing systems, they seem very fragile. I guess the only thing that's really impressed me is deep mind's arcade gaming platform, but I guess that's a more constrained input set than an RGB camera feed.

I'm sure quite a lot of this neural net stuff is going to be revealed as snake oil sooner or later. Convolutional neural networks for example that take a 1080p image then map it down to a 3x3 grid before being mapped out again, which they claim is able to retain a lot of information - sounds suspicious. And so many of these systems I've seen fall over when presented with something outside the training data set, such as a person wearing glasses for these face processing systems, they seem very fragile. I guess the only thing that's really impressed me is deep mind's arcade gaming platform, but I guess that's a more constrained input set than an RGB camera feed.
Well I've tried Darknet, and its image processing works pretty well. It all depends on how well you train it. It can recognize people whether they're wearing glasses or not. It recognized my boyfriend as a person even though it could only see his lower legs and feet in the picture.

However, it hasn't been trained on boats at all so it thinks they're cars.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME? __

And now I'm showing my age with an early Matthew Broderick reference

In biological sciences it's being hyped now, but a lot of people tend to forget that you're not getting data out of the data set that is not in it. Additionally you still have to somehow annotate or figure out what it is that the neural network scores, if you want to get data out of it that will help you further. It's one thing to have a neural network that can detect skin cancer, it's another thing to have a neural network that explains how it detects skin cancer. The latter one might improve our knowledge. The first one might be a usefull tool, without extra intellectual merrits.

That said, I think it's a fun way to do statistics.

So what's the next step?

Obviously, waiting for the bare PCBs to arrive at Global Components so we can assemble the units.

PCB ETA @GC? When were the PCBs ordered?
[doublepost=1521479339,1521478958][/doublepost]A bit I heard from a pastor with regards to, "Going through Hell." (Likely stolen - which is too ironic to bother looking up the origin.)

When going through Hell, don't stop.

Nice a 15min video, I will watch it when I get back home! (I'm about to blow my data cap)
It's nice to see a news update and seeing how close we are getting!:D

Update: I just watched the update video, I love the click sound of the shoulder buttons!

Last edited:
I remember, when i got my Pandora (CC First Batch) the right shoulderbuttons wasnt working, so i remapped the PSX Emulator a bit too use a diverent button..,
I ditnt wantet to ship the Pandora back to EvilDragon, because i was to exitet whit it, so instead i decided to let it soo,
then after some months, i found a fine mechanics screedriver in the ceilings and opened carefully the bottompart, found a dis lokadet foampad, and fixed the shoulderbutton..,
As the PCSX Remarded Button config is for diverent Gamepad Types, it needs another months until i remapped the right shoulderbutton to R...

So im happy that the Pyra Shoulderbuttons work whitout foam pads, even if one of them still needs a bit of work

When I got a Pandora I noticed it had only 2 shoulder buttons.
So I added an other pair :D
And I didn't stop complaining until the Pyra also got 4 shoulder buttons. ;)

That's how you do it :D

So, yay, I received the case... and is it the final one?
Well, it's a VERY good candidate!

Here's a fairly long unboxing video for you to enjoy (it's still being uploaded... so be patient :))

After the video, I played around a bit more.
I can confirm three shoulder buttons are working perfectly out of the box with the new case, tested with different PCBs.
Only one needs a minor adjustment (around 0,3mm plastic removed at one area) as the tolerance is too tight.
It probably worked fine with the test PCB FormAction has, but all PCBs have tolerances as well, and it's important to test the cases with different PCBs because of that.

The stylus needs to have 0,3mm plastic added (so it doesn't rattle).

These are the only to minor things I found, everything else seems to have been fixed now. Everything fits nicely now, no areas where it's too tight or too flimsy, It's SO much better than the previous version!

I've already let my contact in Greece know. We should have the needed case sets ready when the the prototype PCBs arrive :)

So what's the next step?

Obviously, waiting for the bare PCBs to arrive at Global Components so we can assemble the units.
Well... then ship them to the prototype orders and test them.

The firmware still needs a lot of tweaks (especially testing all components and installing it on the eMMC), but as the firmware is an ongoing work (as it was with the Pandora), it doesn't need to be fully polished on release.

Once the hardware is out, more devs will contribute to the firmware and it should improve quickly (as was the case with the Pandora... anyone remembers the old Zaxxon Release 1...? Whew... not comparable to the latest version!)

So... I'm relieved now. The long odyssey to fix the final flaws of the case is finally over.
Another huge step done.

Answer to your "Case closed?" - No, this is case open (unboxing) not case closed :D

Back