Cave Story / Ginge(GP2X wrapper)

milkshake

Advanced Member
sorry to rise this topic from the grave but i read this http://www.qj.net/qjnet/psp/psp-homebrew-cave-story-psp-rc1.html and it reminded me again and I wanted to BEG please port this game :)

I've moved it to its own thread, cause the original thread was over two years old and pre forum upgrade threads are a pain to read because of their broken quotes. There have been several newer Cave Story threads since then.

Well, you'd have to beg for the source and Pixel doesn't seem to be as open as he was earlier about handing it out after the commercial Wii port. The PSP port was probably started a long time ago. I might be wrong though.

EvilDragon said:
Well, we got the GP2X-Version running on the Pandora and I'm in contact with Nicalis to find out if we are free to release it or if they might even be interested in porting the Wii-Version.

Until this is sorted out, nothing will be released, of course.

That's what we know, and I doubt anyone in this community would go behind OpenPandora's back and release it themselves. So that working out is probably our only hope, unless the PSP emulator gets coded and is able to run it (I wouldn't hold my breath).

I do certainly hope it finds its way to the pandora somehow; Cave Story is one of my favorite games ever and the posterchild of good homebrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, anyone that can "get the GP2X-Version running on the Pandora" will be able to use it privately at least. :rolleyes:

I wonder how easy/hard would that be.

Yoyobuae said:
Well, anyone that can "get the GP2X-Version running on the Pandora" will be able to use it privately at least. :rolleyes:

EvilDragon has the source from the gp2x port. We, sadly, do not.

geo12 said:
Yoyobuae said:

Bummer. <_<

geo12 said:
No, pretty sure he doesn't. From his wording a few posts after the one absolofdoom posted, they've got some kind of emulator (probably more of a wrapper around the SDL calls, really) that makes it work. No one other than those officially sanctioned by Pixel have ever seen the source code.

Not surely, as the GP2X is not a Pandora. There are similarities, but there's enough differences (from what I gather) to keep them from running directly. Specifically the SDL version on the GP2X is very different and not compatible, although I suspect there's a lot more different as well.
I refer you back to the thread absolofdoom linked to wherein EvilDragon explains that they have got a "Pandora version" working, but they're waiting on permission from Pixel before releasing it. They don't want to step on any toes, burn any bridges, by releasing something against his wishes.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53592-the-youtube-video-thread/page__view__findpost__p__901881

mali said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53592-the-youtube-video-thread/page__view__findpost__p__901881

:eek:

Did the Pandora just get a huge software boost? Yeah baby! B)

If the emulators work, I will never complain about lack of software ever again. Never ever.

mali said:
Notaz is starting to become a living legend, I think :)

So where's this software at anyway? I can't see any threads on it in the Pandora forums.

EDIT: Okay, so I found the thread in the Wiz section.

What emulators other than Picodrive supported the second CPU?

Ginge can't be released until the end of the month (AFAIK) because it was an entry in the GP32 Spain Coding Competition.
But it's already there :)

Will I be able to run Gmenu2x?

I got a GP2X recently, and the software library is superb frankly.

EvilDragon said:
Ginge can't be released until the end of the month (AFAIK) because it was an entry in the GP32 Spain Coding Competition.
But it's already there :)

As I did'nt got a reply in the wiz section, I'll ask here :
Is a pandora port started/planned or even possible ?

Back