Cave Story Pnd

Zero3K

Website
Visit site
It would be nice if someone made one that uses Ginge to load it (like how the PND for gpSP works).

Korlithiel said:
I think a few people have by now, been meaning to look for one.
I'll do it when I get home. Peace. (8 more hours from now... damn school)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Please make sure that you configure the controls so that the player can shoot with the X button and Jump with the B button.

Zero3K said:
Thanks. Please make sure that you configure the controls so that the player can shoot with the X button and Jump with the B button.
Normal config is...?

Guys, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, I seem to recall that they originally asked if it would be ok to distribute a Pandora version of Cave Story by exactly these means, but either never got a response, or were turned down (I can't remember which at this moment, I'm afraid), due to the requests a long time ago for all ports to stop after Cave Story went commercial.

You might want to be careful.

Yeah if you care about ginge's license it also doesn't allow to bundle it with software without original author's permission (it's up to the author to decide how his software is to be distributed).

One way or another I'm going to bundle it for myself anyway.
Will see whether I can get a hold of the asian fella who coded it. xD

I think he wants to release it on Wii for money, so he might not have any interest of a free port...

The PC version is free, and always has been to my knowledge. The GP2X version was free also. I'm sure if someone could reach him, he would give the OK. He seems pretty cool, and the free versions have not stopped anyone from buying the Wii and DSi versions. I'm sure the 3DS version will also sale very well.

Hell, I bought it for my Wii and DS, just to show support for a slamming freeware game.

Chris

mcobit said:
he might not have any interest of a free port...

So either everyone has to bundle it for himself (that would be silly) or, mysteriously, a torrent file would pop up ...

Wolfsclaw said:
So either everyone has to bundle it for himself (that would be silly) or, mysteriously, a torrent file would pop up ...
Or you just boot Ginge and select the Cave Story file from the menu. Ginge doesn't NEED to be bundled into a PND to run gp32x games.

Blue Protoman said:
It's more convenient to wrap it in Ginge.
They both have their own advantages. Wrapped with a PND makes it easier to start (automatically added to the menu) and install (no need for the "emulator"). Taking the gp32x-games-as-rom approach makes it easier to update Ginge and avoids license and distribution issues.

What about the idea of creating a pnd called something like make_ginge_wrapped_cave_story.pnd The user would drop their own copy of the gp2x binary for cave story in the make_ginge_wrapped_cave_story appdata folder and run the make_ginge_wrapped_cave_story pnd. It would spit out cave_story.pnd which you could install and it would avoid having to redistribute the actual game.

The idea is similar to how there is a flashplugin-installer package in debian that doesnt actually redistribute flash, it just downloads it from the adobe site and creates a debian package.

Perhaps there should be a generic and automated tool for wrapping games with ginge into PNDs.

Caine said:
Perhaps there should be a generic and automated tool for wrapping games with ginge into PNDs.

One of the best ideas I've heard in ages.

fearofshorts said:
Caine said:

One of the best ideas I've heard in ages.
Fourthed (?)
Surprised anyone hadn't thought of that yet actually.

Back