Center Click Vs More Travel

Which would interest you more? (assuming both are high quality at what they are made to do)

• Nub with 1mm of travel from center, sturdy center click

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nub with 2mm of travel, no center click

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Can you use zodiac's analogs?

They are designed yet.

I think they are better than psp's. Psp analogs are toyish.

More travel means more precision for anything that truly benefits from analogue input, so definitely go with the 2mm option. The stick click is unimportant and its usefulness is questionable (how comfortable is it to press a button that slides every which way when you press it?).

GunPei2X said:
As long as DaveC helps design a good cap ;)
IF Sony would allow another Company to use their Analog-Pad (I doubt) it would indeed need a bigger and better cap than these tiny poor rubber thingy onto the PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
gibberish said:
go for the psp style nub, its not that bad.
Chances are that they (DaveC?) tested some that didn't have the middle click originally anyway, so hopefully they will just need to get the right amount ordered and we still might end up with something that works better than the actual PSP one anyway :)

Xmoon said:

They are designed yet.

NOOOO!!!

Zodiac's analog was awful. All sorts of centering issues, they had to do untold replacements and many of those went bad too. And the convex nub design sucked. Tapwave gets credit for having tried something new and innovating, but it didn't really work out well.

In comparison, I never had a single problem with my PSP's analog.

NeX-Ferret said:
48/4 = 12:1

Consider yourselves outnumbered, clicky nub people!
Who are these people anyway? None of them has commented.

Why do you want the click over the precise control? What is the advantage? :huh:

javaJake said:
If the 2mm nub is successful in this poll, does that mean development is still on track?
Probably. There must be several factories making PSP style nubs - you can easily find them from various online stores, ebay etc. So adopting them would probably mean no major delays due to analog supplies. But I'd imagine some work would be needed to fit them to the case etc. since the Pandora is a clamshell and the nub can't touch the screen when closed.

I am all for better controls with out the clicks, and I also dont mind waiting(the extra time) for this kick ass console to come out.

I think the psp nub replacment's is a good idea. Maybe not perfect but good enough.

Also i dont want to see any of the guys who are making this for us,get scamed by a some douche bags. who quote one price then quote something else. when they know that the machine is about to be relesed.

So I am all for the craigx and crew to tell them to shove it!

Prophet said:
Xmoon said:

They are designed yet.

NOOOO!!!

Zodiac's analog was awful. All sorts of centering issues, they had to do untold replacements and many of those went bad too. And the convex nub design sucked. Tapwave gets credit for having tried something new and innovating, but it didn't really work out well.

In comparison, I never had a single problem with my PSP's analog.

I only know my zodiac's analog works perfect. And I like to touch it. It's sexy.

Anyway. Joystick rules. D-pad are cheapish. D-pad are for kids. :D

I feel it more "joystick kempston spectrum" than that psp's analog. :p

Probably. There must be several factories making PSP style nubs - you can easily find them from various online stores, ebay etc. So adopting them would probably mean no major delays due to analog supplies. But I'd imagine some work would be needed to fit them to the case etc. since the Pandora is a clamshell and the nub can't touch the screen when closed.

I doubt that will be a problem. After all, the old one fit, so why wouldn't this one?

I hardly imagine that there is an industry standard for the size of analogue sticks and where the solder joints go. So an adaptor daughterboard is likely to be necessary. If the nub is bigger (and it might be) the whole board might need to be sunk, or the lid raised.

good point. Remember that only MK0 boards have been produced so far, so that's not really a problem, though.

Like I stated in the last thread I think having more travel is the key for analogs. The Pandora is already festooned with keys and buttons. The whole point of analog is for smooth and "floaty" controls for games that use analog. Tight throw is good for d-pads, bad for analogs. If you want tight controls for emus that used digital like SNES etc you want to use the D-pad. This means the analog should travel as much as possible, that trumps stick click which may be kind of convenient for some things but is kind of redundant.

I don't see why the PSP nub is so bad. It seems to be decent for what it does. A big stick like a PS2 is better yes, but you can't fit something like that in a clamshell device like this unless you don't mind it being 50 mm thick ;)

Kloplop321 said:
I still like the old nubs though :( stupid company...
True that.

Using "standard" parts has a lot of advantages. Imagine what would happen if they didn't stop making those custom nubs until just after the first batch of Pandoras hit the streets.

And as of again(that someone else said) the emulator, when ported can just use a specified key that the user can reach the easiest with their thumbs, so it would be better if button presses would not be accidental due to button presses.

Back