Center Click Vs More Travel

Which would interest you more? (assuming both are high quality at what they are made to do)

• Nub with 1mm of travel from center, sturdy center click

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nub with 2mm of travel, no center click

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

It seems obvious that more travel is better than center click. Although effectively removing two buttons from the arsenal is somewhat as a blow in itself. Especially since some languages are already having a hard time finding enough buttons to make typing tolerable.

I wouldn't mind a delay in order to find the perfect fit, however.

Was confused by the terminology initially (I know, n00b :ph34r: )

Certainly, no click will be much better. :)

ok im one of the nub clickers :) And indeed someone that will use it as an UMPC (slightly: ) more.

My thought was then when you navigate the mouse in an app you can instantly click what you have selected. But i suppose a shoulder button could do the trick as well.

Losing the click for an extra bit of travel is definitely worth it. There ought to be enough nearby buttons to get away without it; I imagine it's work out something like this:

Single analogue: Just use ABXYLR (or whatever) as usual
Dual analogues: Use LR for jump/shoot and 345789 (or whichever numbers are approximately above the sticks when making a radial motion with thumbs) for less "instant response" actions.

Won't be quite as nice as with click, but definitely good enough in the context :D.

I'm one of the no-click, more-travel folks. So, another vote for that. :p (Analogue sticks are a bit pointless if there's not enough room for the range of movement they can allow, in my view. :p)

Clicking is ok, not clicking is even better. Only thing I wonder is what was the dual joystick set-up implemented for, some sort of amiga gaming or flight sim thing or something? Does it need a stick click for that and could it use the keyboard instead?

MarkoeZ said:
ok im one of the nub clickers :) And indeed someone that will use it as an UMPC (slightly: ) more.

My thought was then when you navigate the mouse in an app you can instantly click what you have selected. But i suppose a shoulder button could do the trick as well.
You could also use the touchscreen instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for more travel. I am actually THRILLED about no stick click, it broke on my gp2x after about a year of near constant use. The rest of the stick worked, but it thought that the stick click was always pressed down; Not a problem for a lot of things, but made the experience much worse. Although this does mean it loses a few bragging points...

CronoTriggerfan said:
CandidStan said:
I guess ps1 emulation is going to be a bitch then without clicks.
Did you forget about the huge array of buttons right under the analog sticks? :rolleyes:

Kind of hard to not miss... :lol:
just wish it was in Dvorak standard instead of crappy QWERTY

Qwerty is a must because that's what almost 99.8% of people are used to. Never mind the huge array of buttons, you would have to reach down to press one of them and in some games that click is critical and you may not have time to reach over and press the button. Think of it this way, say there is a racing game on the ps1 (I don't know of any that use that but just play along) that uses the analog sticks to steer and accelerate, as well as break, do you want to have to reach down to press a button to do that, then reach back up to steer? It would be next to impossible to even play the bloody game.

CandidStan said:
Qwerty is a must because that's what almost 99.8% of people are used to. Never mind the huge array of buttons, you would have to reach down to press one of them and in some games that click is critical and you may not have time to reach over and press the button. Think of it this way, say there is a racing game on the ps1 (I don't know of any that use that but just play along) that uses the analog sticks to steer and accelerate, as well as break, do you want to have to reach down to press a button to do that, then reach back up to steer? It would be next to impossible to even play the bloody game.
Dvorak Vs Qwerty ends here, That goes for everyone, It`s been done to death already.

Think of it this way, say there is a racing game on the ps1 (I don't know of any that use that but just play along) that uses the analog sticks to steer and accelerate, as well as break, do you want to have to reach down to press a button to do that, then reach back up to steer? It would be next to impossible to even play the bloody game.

The thing is, Using your example, If you are using both analogue nubs to control a game, As you say, One for steering and the other for acceleration and braking, Why would you need to take your hand off of one of the nubs to brake, When one of the nubs already controls the braking ?. :blink:

Trooper

you apparently didn't look very close to the render, the buttons would literally be under the midpoint of your thumb in most cases.

AFAIK, the only game that even required the analog sticks on PSX was monkey ball. I dont remember a single game that used stick click, and there is no way that they would require stick click when do not not force analogs! If you can find any PSX game that uses stick click, I would definitely rethink my argument.

Prophet said:
Who are these people anyway? None of them has commented.
Ok, fine. I'll comment. I voted clicky-nub not because I wanted an extra button, but because I find it fun to push the little clicky-button on playstation controllers. It usually doesn't do anything; if it did, it would ruin the fun.

Wow. That's a really stupid reason. I'm glad I got outvoted now.
Oh well. I hope the other buttons on the pandora are sufficiently clicky. There's nothing worse than a button with no tactile feedback!

Back