Center Click Vs More Travel

Which would interest you more? (assuming both are high quality at what they are made to do)

• Nub with 1mm of travel from center, sturdy center click

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nub with 2mm of travel, no center click

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Prophet said:
God Ginrai said:
Craigix, ED, MWeston: If you guys seriously choose one of these two choices, is there any possibility that I could pay as much as $30-40 extra to have you guys make a custom Pandora for me that replaces the nubs with two of the discontinued ones, seeing as how you should have a couple lying around from testing?-God Ginrai
Heh, put me down for one of these as well. :p (But I doubt it'd cost $30 - $40 more?!)

But you never know, the "new" analogs might actually end up better somehow. Let's see what the dev team come up with. I have faith. This topic just gives them some breathing space and options for compromises if needed,

It's not how much more I think it'd cost, it's extra money to make it worth their while. And I need both good throw and stick click, so that's why I said if they chose one of the two that the poll asks about, then could I get a custom.

cheap-plastic said:
God Ginrai said:
Craigix, ED, MWeston: If you guys seriously choose one of these two choices, is there any possibility that I could pay as much as $30-40 extra to have you guys make a custom Pandora for me that replaces the nubs with two of the discontinued ones, seeing as how you should have a couple lying around from testing?

-God Ginrai
What would that be good for? Will you then ask every developer to make a special version for you so you can use the center click? :D

No, I wouldn't need to. The devs should make their programs with customizable inputs. At least the emulation authors should. Which is exactly where I really need the stick click. That's one of the things that should be great about the pandora, is that you can set up the control settings just about any way you want. As long as they allow their users to change control settings, then the stick click should work. ;)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option that may be worth considering - Pressure-based analog nubs such as the ones that are occasionally used as pointing devices on laptops. They have the benefit of providing a high degree of sensitivity, as well as being widely available. They are also very small and require no extra space to account for movement, so there would be room enough above / next to them for small L2/L3 and R2/R3 buttons. That is assuming they're willing to redesign the board slightly to accommodate those buttons (some sort of minor tweaking would be necessary for the new analog control anyway).

I'm sure there will be an overwhelming chorus of hate for trackpoint-style nubs (people hate what they're not used to), but they really do offer the same level of control as a larger positional control pad.

Chip said:
Another option that may be worth considering - Pressure-based analog nubs such as the ones that are occasionally used as pointing devices on laptops. They have the benefit of providing a high degree of sensitivity, as well as being widely available. They are also very small and require no extra space to account for movement, so there would be room enough above / next to them for small L2/L3 and R2/R3 buttons. That is assuming they're willing to redesign the board slightly to accommodate those buttons (some sort of minor tweaking would be necessary for the new analog control anyway).

I'm sure there will be an overwhelming chorus of hate for trackpoint-style nubs (people hate what they're not used to), but they really do offer the same level of control as a larger positional control pad.
If you're talking about those little eraser-looking things. Those wouldn't work well at all for mimicking analog sticks. (although they are very nice for Mouse input, I'll give them that.) Also, there are a whole lot of people who don't like those things for some reason or another. Also, in my experience, those things start to wear out your fingers after a while. And I couldn't imagine trying to use them with my thumbs. Not to mention, you still wouldn't have a click.

-God Ginrai

I agree that the laptop style eraser nub would be a bad replacement of a true analog stick.

I voted for 2mm of travel, with no click.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know what the original (now discontinued) analog nub's travel distance was? It looked like more than 2mm in the video that MW uploaded.

I ask because 2mm still sounds like a tiny amount of distance.

TyBO! said:
I agree that the laptop style eraser nub would be a bad replacement of a true analog stick.

I voted for 2mm of travel, with no click.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know what the original (now discontinued) analog nub's travel distance was? It looked like more than 2mm in the video that MW uploaded.

I ask because 2mm still sounds like a tiny amount of distance.
I believe the original was 2.5mm.

Chip said:

I far prefer trackpoints to touchpads for accurate control (been using a ThinkPad X40 for the past 5 years) but they suffer from problems that I don't think would make them good for gaming.

Fatigue is one. They're great for occasional use if you're mainly using the keyboard, but use them solidly for an hour or so and they soon tire out the digit used. I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be if used with a thumb - but they certainly require far more effort to move.

This stiffness really makes light, quick, twitch movements difficult.

cools said:
Chip said:

Fatigue is one. They're great for occasional use if you're mainly using the keyboard, but use them solidly for an hour or so and they soon tire out the digit used. I'm not sure how much of a problem this would be if used with a thumb - but they certainly require far more effort to move.

That's what I was trying to get at.

-God Ginrai

So, devs, what's the verdict? :p

Also, if Craig, MWeston, or another dev wanders in here and sees this post, is there any chance they could give us a new time-table for preorders, production, and shipment to eliminate future confusion/speculation?

CronoTriggerfan said:

Also, if Craig, MWeston, or another dev wanders in here and sees this post, is there any chance they could give us a new time-table for preorders, production, and shipment to eliminate future confusion/speculation?

have you looked at the poll? Its a blow out for no click.

Pickle said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

have you looked at the poll? Its a blow out for no click.

:p means sarcasm. :/
I'm guessing November, because that sounds decent.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Yeah, that was most definitely sarcasm, Pickle. Wonderful perception skills! :p (That, too, was sarcasm.) :lol:

And waffles, if it's November, I'll go crazy!
I think they are aiming for this year, but theres a lot to be done on the sw side.
I missed your initial :p since I was reading it from the notifcation emails. I thought your question a little odd a time, but in the correct context it doesnt look as stupid.

Pickle said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Yeah, that was most definitely sarcasm, Pickle. Wonderful perception skills! :p (That, too, was sarcasm.) :lol:

And waffles, if it's November, I'll go crazy!
I think they are aiming for this year, but theres a lot to be done on the sw side.
I missed your initial :p since I was reading it from the notifcation emails. I thought your question a little odd a time, but in the correct context it doesnt look as stupid.

NO U! :lol:

Based on the current timetable, a "this year" date even seems a bit stretched out. Given the perceived "no/little" delay comment by MWeston, I'd assume a September/August release, but I don't want to make any assumptions that aren't accurate. I think he also said production would not be delayed, which still leaves questions open as to when preorders and actual release will take place.

prairiefire said:
voted more travel. we have enough buttons to substitute for the centre click. I like the L/R for left right click.
Just because you can substitute buttons for center click doesn't mean that you'll be able to play emulated games, that use most if not all of the buttons of the system, well.

-God Ginrai

Better control is much higher priority for me than centre click!

I've found with PS2 pads that the centre click goes after prolonged use anyways, and most games that make extensive use of it get annoying because it just doesnt feel right clicking it whilst moving it

cools said:
Chip said:

I far prefer trackpoints to touchpads for accurate control (been using a ThinkPad X40 for the past 5 years) but they suffer from problems that I don't think would make them good for gaming.

This stiffness really makes light, quick, twitch movements difficult.

hehe for some reason your post reminded me of this xkcd drawing -

appropriate_term.png

xafier said:
Better control is much higher priority for me than centre click!
We shouldn't have to choose between them. It should be both.

-God Ginrai

Back